Skip to main content
? Echelon

THE SAG DAY, APRIL 25TH 1987 door Richard Karsmakers

It  was  a warm Friday afternoon when I  left  Amsterdam  central 
station with my sleeping bag,  toothbrush and airmatras.  The sun 
was  shining  terribly  hard  and on  the  square  a  band  stood 
playing music, which didn't sound bad at all. The heavily bearded 
(ZZ-Top  like) guitarist/singer tried to bring some happyness  in 
the atmosphere, which seemed to be necessary.

I started my quest for tram 9.  Lucky enough it wasn't  difficult 
to  find it - and I even succeeded in asking the driver  with  my 
soft  'g' where I should have to get out.  "Kruislaan",  was  the 
answer of the man who probably recognized a non-hostile but quite 
backward guy from the Southern Netherlands in me. And after about 
half an hour's trip in the bleedin' hot tram I put my feet on the 
ground again - in the Kruislaan.
"Entrance Jaap Eden Icetrack/Eden Hall" I read on a large sign on 
the corner of the street,  so I decided to follow the arrow  that 
was also drawn on it (not the grafitti stuff,  but the real one). 
That  way I came at the Jaap Eden Hall (the place where  the  SAG 
day would be held the day after) cheerfully but dead-tired  (yes, 
computer  freaks most of the time have a  non-too-good  condition 
and  I  fear I'm not quite an exception to that  rule)  at  three 
minutes past four.  Inside, some large lamps lighted the hall and 
it  was deliciously cool inside,  especially when comparison  was 
made with the subtropical temperatures outside.
The  only people present were the SAG boss,  someone of the  Jaap 
Eden  Hall  and some people that were building up  an  impressive 
stand for Cafka/Soft ST.  I faintly seemed to remember the  words 
of ST Club Eindhoven's coördinator, Hubert van Mil, which sounded 
like something in the range of "We'll be there at four o'clock!". 
And,  stupid me,  I had been afraid that I would be late and  now 
there wasn't even a soul present from them!

But  my  worries  (Car in the  ditch?  Coördinator  arrested  for 
ridiculous  appearance?  Arjan  (the club's PD  man)  caught  for 
smuggling  PD  to 'above the rivers'?) turned out to  be  nothing 
more  but  phantasies - at somewhat about five Arjan  dropped  in 
in a car loaded to its full extend in which also  (yes,  miracles 
don't only happen at Lourdes!) Wicher Gispen had find some  space 
to be transported in.  After a very interesting chat with the SAG
boss and a role of biscuit (which seemes to be indigestable so  I 
could  make up from some of Arjan's remarks - too  bad,  but  now 

Wicher  and yours truly simply has some more of them) we  started 
discharging the poor axles of Arjan's vehicle.
When  this  quest had finally taken place,  the  next  load  came 
driving in:  Eric Wisselo (ST Club Eindhoven's hardware man) with 
another  helper  also called Erik in a kind  of  busted  'camper' 
that  was  filled to its very brim with  computer  hardware,  new 
Clipboards (the magazine that is published every month by ST Club 
Eindhoven) and much,  much more.  Our stand was beginning to look 
like  the chaos we were used to when Hubert,  our dearly  beloved 
coördinator, dropped in together with Stefan Posthuma and another 
helping hand called Pieter in a rented Passat.  Yes,  our  Hubert 
always  knows how to arrange work-consuming events so  that  they 
have already taken place when he finally shows up.  He seemed  to 
have made a non-voluntary sight-seeing tour through the whole  of 
Amsterdam  (what do you want:  "Behind the Ajax stadium"  can  be 
interpreted in quite some different ways).  When his car was also 
unloaded,  Arjan  and  yours truly were sent on a  pilgrimage  to 
arrange  refreshments for the crowd - fish and chips to  be  more 
specific.  Arjan  also knew how to show me some very  interesting 
spots  in beautiful Amsterdam and the adjacent countryside -  the 
Bijlmer (prison), Amstel station and further southward (I already 
thought to see the Eiffel Tower but this might have been my vivid 
imagination)  -  before it finally dawned upon  his  computerized 
mind  that the fish & chips store was a good 200 metres  distance 
from  the  Hall.  A bit later than expected we came back  to  the 
hungry  herd  of  ST users that were already  dripping  from  the 
corners of their mouths when the first smell of chips and  drinks 
reached the labyrinths of their inner nostrils.  They immediately 
and  violantly attacked us and that's how we got rid of all  food 
in  nanoseconds  of time.  Arjan and myself were  lucky  to  keep 
something ourselves.

After  this 'meal' and several bottles of Dr.  Pepper,  Coke  and 
apple juice we started with the actual preparations for the  next 
day. Stefan started assembling packages and copying disks for the 
next  day's  selling of his new offering  "The  ArtiST+",  Hubert 
installed  his CD player (to start torturing us with  music  from 
Kate Bush,  Wham and Micheal McDonald), Eric Wisselo built up his 
demonstration ST configuration (with hard disk) that would on the 
next day only be used for entertaining little sniffery noses with 
"Strikey",  Arjan copied like he was haunted by the chief of Evil 
himself so he could sell quite some PD the next day,  Pieter  and 
Erik  started  building the weirdest  obstacles,  Wicher  started 
helping  the SAG boss on some nerve-wrecking job and yours  truly 
all the time tried to insert proper music (like the one from Jean 
Michel  Jarre) in Hubert's CD player on every possible  unguarded
moment. Around 10 o'clock we started wondering where the "Strike-
a-Light"  group  (Robert Heessels and Roland &  Eerk  Hofmeester) 
stayed,  while  eating the first crisps and drink-nuts (that's  - 
probably bad - English for the nuts in tasty shells that you tend 
to eat when drinking something). "Oh," assured Hubert, "they will 
turn up any moment now!".  All well - at around midnight they did 
arrive,  after  a  non-voluntary  and  random  sight-seeing  tour 
through  Amsterdam as well.  Their arrival revealed itself to  us 
when  we  suddenly heard loud banging on the metal doors  of  the 
hall. No panic (just like "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy") 
- some generous soul succeeded in showing them in.

Around one o'clock it became time to start looking for a place to 
sleep. Lucky enough I had already inflated my airbed in radiating 
enthusiasm some hours ago - I wouldn't have to do that anymore so 
that  I could lay down peacefully in the catacombs of  the  hall. 
Nice,  sleeping in my sleeping bag, dreaming about the ST version 
of  "Defender of the Crown" and good figures for  chemistry.  But 
alas!  Ridges in my airbed,  cushions forgotten and some  strange 
noises from the hall kept me from closing a single eye.  Eric was 
currently copying disks using FCopy,  which caused a hihg-volumed 
and  very irritating beep every time the disk had to  be  swapped 
since  he  had the nerve to hook up his installation on  a  heavy 
duty  amplifier.  Some bad CD music also entered the voids in  my 
mind while I was trying to get a decent night's rest. When Pieter 
and  Stefan finally had gone to sleep,  I decided to go  to  hell 
with  all biology laws and stood up.  Back in the hall,  I  found 
that  the  lights  were  dimmed - this  created  a  very  special 
atmosphere.  Sleep  really started intoxicating me from then  on. 
Hubert  and the others by that time also decided to go to bed  by 
three  o'clock  and  there I was - alone with  only  the  heavily 
programming "Strike-a-Light" group present. Roland, after half an 
hour, also decided to go to sleep in Robert's Simca (that has not 
been disapproved of by insurance policies due to reasons  seeming 
quite  miraculous  to me).  "Not a bad idea at all,"  I  said  to 
myself,  "that sounds well - and,  above all,  silent". So I also 
went  to the parking lot and I positioned myself in the  driver's 
seat  (quite uncomfortable for my feet,  I can assure),  next  to 
Roland.   I   simply   adored  the   silence   out   there.   The 
airconditioning of the hall now and then started buzzing but that 
was no bother at all.  The only light that could be seen was that 
of twinkling stars high above our sleepy heads.
I  was  just  trying to close my eyes for the  Xth  time  when  I 
suddenly  heard a sound that would have made  maximum-volumed  CD 
music sound like the most perfect silence obtainable. I startled. 
An attempt at our lives? Doomsday? The ultimate Armageddon of the 
whole civilized world?  Was there a junk trying to fight his  way 
into the car by means of a chainsaw that just caught cold, trying 
to  steal the car radio (that wasn't even present)?  But  I  soon 
found  out  the  real reason - it was but  a  peacefully  snoring 
Roland.  Gone  was the silence.  Everything that might have  been 
described as the beginning of my own  peaceful sleep was suddenly 
interrupted  by  sudden  dive bombers flying  through  the  front 
window, the violations of all known nuclear laws and other sounds 
that are generally refered to as belonging to the same family  as 
those  sounds  I mentioned before.  Strange -  these  sounds  all 
displayed a striking resemblance to the sound that filled the car 
until six o'clock in the morning.

When we left our 'sleeping' place at around that time,  we had to 
move heaven and earth to get in.  Nobody noticed our wild banging 
on  the  same metal doors that were molested six  hours  earlier, 
until Robert (who looked quite sleepy) opened the door and showed 
us in. He and Eerk decided to turn in for a while when Roland and 
yours  truly  went  to  the  toilets  to  relieve  our  teeth  of 
unnecessary balast and wash away our nightly traumas.

Now,  the activities really started breakin' loose.  Around 7  AM 
quite  some standholders had arrived that now feverishly  started 
making the wooden tables look representable. Not after too long a 
time,  Frank  Lemmen  and Adrie van der Weijden  (everyone  knows 
Frank, of course, but Adrie is the video-digitizing freak from ST 
Club Eindhoven) dropped in as well,  together with a wagonload of 
computer hardware amongst which my ST as well as my dear old  '64 
were situated (that 64 would cause the strangest reactions during 
the day,  from pure raw violence to well-meant interest in  'this 
new  ST coprocessor').  Tako Jan Goossen dropped in a bit  later, 
who was accompanied by Coert Kea and Guus Surtel (all members  of 
the 'board of directors' from ST Club Einhoven,  except for  good 
old Guus), and Harry Niens completed the gang as the last man. As 

far as we were concerned,  the doors could now burst open for the 
activities of the day.
This happened at 09.30 hours and from that moment on,  Hubert was 
everywhere  and  nowhere (that's what he tended to  call  "active 
promotion").  Adrie  started demonstrating  his  video-digitizing 
capabilities,  Coert started retailing  Clipboards, Frank started 
messing  with MIDI,  Stefan began to sell "The ArtiST+" like  his 
very  life  depended  on it,  Eric built up a  kind  of  hardware 
service  (it's  amazing to see how many people insert  their  TOS 
ROMs  the  wrong way around) and  the  complete  "Strike-a-Light" 
group  zealously  started  disposing  "Strikey"  and  their   new 
offering  "Picworks V2.0".  Yours truly started conjuring  a  bit 
with  ST NEWS,  bit this altogether didn't prove to be much of  a 
crowd-puller (quite understandable).  That's why I booted up  the 
"Goldrunner"  demo and left my space to have a stroll around  the 
building to see what was happening elsewhere.
Soon  I  discovered that Frank Ostrowski's book "GfA  Basic"  was 
being sold,  so I could soon afterwards call a copy of that  book 
mine (a review of this phantastic book may be found elsewhere  in 
this  issue of ST NEWS).  "Bits & Chips" sold "Goldrunner"  (they 
had  but  one copy,  which was sold at around  14.00  hours)  and 
"Flightsimulator  II"  was  also sold  somewhere  (an  impressive 
product  that  might turn out to  satisfy  frustrated  monochrome 
users  for  a  while  longer - it  worked  on  color-as  well  as 
monochrome monitors).  Compudress was offering Data Becker  books 
at discount prices (sitting opposite to Data Becker Holland)  and 
there  wasn't much more to see.  Just opposite Stefan  and  yours 
truly,  an impressive MIDI demonstration was set up, which caused 
Frank  to  demonstrate "Star Trek" as soon as  he  could.  Almost 
deadly  became  the initiative of one of us to mount  some  empty 
"Strikey"-and "ArtiST+" packages on the obstacles that were  made 
the evening before and that were now placed on top of the tables. 
Innocent visitors frequently almost became victim of the packages 
that started falling down as the temperature rose,  missing  some 
people's heads by only fractions of an inch.

Around  noon  it  must  have  been  terribly  hot  outside.   The 
temperature  in the hall was surely bearable,  but  suddenly  all 
visitors  turned out to be wearing Hawaiian  shirts,  shorts  and 
sandals (with the Zandvoort beach under their toenails). When the 
doors  shut at around 16.00,  it turned out that these doors  had 
been passed by a bit less than 4000 people,  that had taken  care 
of  reasonable  sales.  The  computers were again  put  in  their 
packings and the stands were being dissectioned again.  Adrie and 
Frank  left quite soon,  and they had to miss an  exclusive  meal 
offered  by  the SAG (French fries with croquet or  some  'thing' 
with  fish).  The  fries were eatable,  but the  rest  definately 
wasn't.  Lucky enough, so Take Jan found out, the dog that tended 
to roam in the restaurant did like the food. Have you ever seen a 
6 feet high dog jump just as high to snap half a 'thing' from the 
air? I bet Arjan's still wet from it!

After this delicious dinner (at least for the dog is appeared  to 
be something like that - it will now have to follow a  bread-diet 
for some weeks) we all made for home.  I had the honour to travel 
home with Guus,  Coert and Tako (in the latter's car).  Here  and 
there braking where he suspected a copper,  he drove us all  home 
with reasonable speed - he dropped me off at my humble  residence 
at around 22.30 hours.  The hardware was unloaded and put in  the 
hall  -  next day that stuff would have to go up but now  I  only 
thought of one thing:   Sleeping on a normal bed,  with  cushion, 
without FCopy beep,  without CD music and without the music  from 
"Strikey". And most of all: Without noisy chainsaw massacres!

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.