Skip to main content

 "In nuclear war, All men are cremated equal."
                                        Tim Radford, The Guardian 

                   PART ONE - THE FAIRY FELLOW 

                        by Bryan H. Joyce

           A Tale From The Tavern At The Edge Of Nowhere

 This story was previously published in "STUNN" and appears here 
by permission of its author, our good friend Bryan "James" Joyce. 

 It  was  cut in two so as to enable owners of mere half  meg  ST 
systems to read it too.

 Hi!  I'm Tony Wheelbough.  At the moment, I'm a barman at a very 
unusual bar called the Tavern.  It is part of a complex known  as 
The  Edge  Of Nowhere.  This name is  misleading.  It's  actually 
situated  on a planet near the core of the galaxy  we  Earthlings 
call the Milky way. The planet doesn't have an official name, but 
most visitors call it the Edge.  This is probably because of  the 
hundred  foot high hologram of a flashing neon sign  saying  "The 
Edge  Of  Nowhere"  that is usually the  second  thing  that  the 
startled traveller sees.  What's the first thing?  I'll tell  you 
later.  The Earth time,  at the moment, is about 1955. Due to the 
turbulence in the space/time continuum created by the core stars, 
space/time travellers are washed up here all the time. I've heard 
that  there is a similar effect at the centre of  most  galaxies. 
The Milky Way is the only known place where this effect disgorges 
the flotsam and jetsam onto a specific place on the surface of  a 
planet. It seemed a worthwhile place to build a hotel and leisure 
complex.  I had nothing to do with the construction;  I just work 
 Sounds  all very interesting doesn't it?  Bet I know  what  your 
thinking  right now.  How did I come by such an ordinary  job  in 
such  extra ordinary surroundings?  Admit it.  That's  what  your 
thinking.  Right?  You're  not  the first to have  asked  such  a 
question.  Customers often ask me how I ended up here. This is my 
story.  Like  many aspects of my life,  it starts in  an  unusual 
manner. In any life, there are an infinite amount of points where 
it  can  change drastically and suddenly  by  pure  circumstance. 
Millions  of seemingly unrelated events led to my current  state. 
If they had worked out differently,  I would not have ended up at 
the Tavern at The Edge Of Nowhere. The most significant event was 
the  "seemingly" coincidental intervention of the  fairy  fellow. 
This is also his story.


 To start with,  the fairy fellow was unconscious.  If he had not 
been,  this  story would probably never have happened.  It  seems 
incredible now when I think about it, but even I don't know where 
I found him. I was lost.
 I'm digressing already. Perhaps it would be better if I in a bit 
of my own history first.
 I was living in England when I was made redundant from my job at 
the  Berwick-upon-Tweed  Matrix shop.  I decided to take  a  long 
holiday. Other matters had been praying on my mind for some time. 
I  was  very depressed,  but I would not have admitted  to  being 
suicidal.  What was needed was a sabbatical of sorts. I've always 
been fond of backpacking. Without pausing for minor details, such 
as planning the route, I was off to Scotland.
 The flying bus took me to Glasgow. From there, I got a mono-rail 
to a small village called Dalwhinnie.  After a food binge at  the 
Ben  Alder tea rooms I set off into the grey drizzle  that  lined 
the  edges of Loch Ericht (not a very good route).  The path  ran 
out  after about 10 miles,  from there I was walking on wet  peat 
and boulders on what was, in places, almost a cliff edge. Indeed, 
every  now and then,  I had to negotiate large places  where  the 
mountainside  had  slid into the loch.  At one such place  sat  a 
small frog.  Strange?  The loch was a sheer drop of about 80 feet 
and there was no other water for miles.  I knelt down and  talked 
to the frog for a while.
 "Gribbit.  Gribbit!" I said. The frog just turned its back on me 
and  huddled down as if it wanted to go to sleep.  "Charming,"  I 
said and continued on my way.
 I  wonder  how all these boulders got here?  Answer -  they  had 
fallen  off of the tops of the mountains.  You don't believe  me? 
Then  push aside a boulder and see beneath the bodies of  passing 
idiots like me.
 For the first few days, I used the map to walk between places of 
potential interest.  The first night I spent in the haunted bothy 
at the foot of Ben Alder.  Luckily,  I never saw anything ghostly 
hanging from the back of the door in the middle of the night. The 
story  is that a shepherd hung himself there.  Many  people  have 
seen his ghost.  I hate the supernatural.  When I was about 13, I 
saw something that made my hair go white,  but that - as they say 
- is another story....
 The  next night was spent in the tent in the middle  of  Rannoch 
moor.  Next day, I wandered off at random not really caring where 
I went.  Rather stupid really!  I don't know where I pitched  the 
tent that night.  I didn't bother to work it out on the  map.  My 
mind was numb with depression,  but lacked specific  focus.  Like 
the previous nights, I slept like a dead man. The following day I 
didn't  go anywhere at all.  I spent the day in the tent  reading 
"All Fall Down," by Enid Jackson.  A fictionalization of the real 
life  story  of  a woman who was a plague  carrier.  I  had  been 
meaning to read it for years.  It turned out to be totally  bland 
plot wise, but really great for it's historical accuracy. I threw 
it away.
 That night in the tent disturbed me greatly.  All the bad things 
that  had been hiding in my mind during the day came bubbling  to 
the surface in 3-D technicolour.  My mind was a cinema projecting 
the same movie again and again.  Each time the interpretation was 
minutely different,  but the plot remained the same.  In the soft 
silent blackness,  I brooded about the death of my beloved  Sarah 
Brown so many months ago.
 We  were staying in Stockport Maine in the good old US of  A.  I 
was  drunk  on the night of the accident.  We  all  were.  I  was 
driving, my brother Joey and his wife Mary were in the back seat. 
They  had come up from New York especially for my 21st  birthday. 
The  party we had just left had been out in  the  countryside.  I 
can't remember the name of the village,  but it should have  been 
called "Hicksville". Everybody was related to everybody. The four 
of us stuck out like a sore thumb.  Nevertheless, it had ended up 
a  very pleasant evening.  Sarah was at my left hand side in  the 
passenger seat. We had been dancing all night. Not only was it my 
birthday,  but  when we were at the party I asked Sarah to  marry 
me. She said that she would think about it. Swine!
 It was 2 a.m and I was tired,  but happy. Sarah was asleep. Joey 
and Mary chatted quietly.  It was raining,  very windy and I  was 
driving too fast. The moon was bright and full.
 At the side of the road was one of the strangest figures I could 
have expected to see at this time of the morning,  or indeed, any 
time  of day.  A tall stocky man dressed in green  tights,  short 
green jacket and a woolly green hat pulled well down. At first he 
reminded me of a stereotyped Robin Hood.  When the automobile got 
closer,  I spotted his short silvery beard.  All in all,  he  was 
dressed like an actor I had once seen playing the part of Oberon, 
King of the Fairies,  in a Shakespeare play.  He waved  furiously 
and  jumped  about  a lot.  I did not know  why,  but  there  was 
something familiar about him that made me feel uneasy.  He  might 
have  been  shouting.  It looked like it,  but  I  couldn't  hear 
anything above the noise of the engine and the wild weather.
 "Bloody loony hitchhiker! No way baby!"
 Almost knocking him down,  we roared by spraying him with  water 
from a unfortunately placed puddle.  Seconds later,  at the crest 
of  a blind hill darkened by overhanging  trees,  the  automobile 
struck a large dark shape in the middle of the road.
 Something  screamed.  Human screams followed as  the  windscreen 
shattered when Sarah was thrown through it. The world spun as the 
automobile  turned  over onto its top,  righted its  self  again, 
rammed  a  tree and skidded down a  grassy  embankment.  Sometime 
during  all this,  something hit me on the face.  Why hadn't  the 
crash  balloons  gone  off?   The  seat  belt  was  breaking   my 
 I don't know how long I was out.  Don't think it could have been 
long.  When  I  came  to,  someone  had  pulled  me  out  of  the 
automobile.  Near by,  the fairy fellow was bending over Sarah. A 
glowing band was about her head. It was connected by a thin cable 
to what looked like a large portable computer.  Distantly,  I was 
aware of the twisted body of a steer lying near by.  It must have 
been  standing in the middle of the road when the automobile  had 
hit it.  Jesus wept!  Had the citizens of Hicksville county never 
heard of fencing?
 Trying  to  protect her from the loony,  I  tried  to  stand.  A 
million volts of pain surged through my left side.  The whiteness 
of  bone glistened in the moonlight and the blackness  of  marrow 
protruded from the skin of my left fore arm. I blacked out again.
 Much later,  I found out that I also had two broken ribs on  the 
left  side  and whiplash.  Joey's head was badly cut and  he  had 
three  broken fingers and whiplash.  Mary had a broken leg and  a 
fractured collar bone.
 I  was  lucky.  If  I had not been wearing  my  seat  belt,  the 
steering wheel column would have impaled my chest.  It was an old 
automobile;  made before crushable steering wheel columns  became 
 Sarah was not so lucky.  On her way through the windscreen,  hit 
the  dashboard hard enough to break  her collar bone and all  but 
one of her ribs.  Jagged bone tore her heart apart.  She was dead 
in seconds - I hope.  Never again would I be irritated by the way 
in  which  she treated all strangers as if they  were  long  lost 
friends.  Never  again  would I run my fingers through  her  long 
black hair or gaze into those sad grey eyes.  Never again would I 
have to stoop to kiss her. The loveliness was gone. The greatness 
that  was Sarah Brown did not exist outside of  memory.  She  was 
wonderful. She was the best. She was dead.
 The memory of her broken body lying on the grass beside the road 
with  the  stranger bending over it will haunt me till  my  dying 
day.  Who  the hell was he?  What on Earth was  he  doing?  These 
questions remained unanswered.  You would have thought someone so 
distinctively  dressed would have been  found  quickly,  wouldn't 
you? He was never traced.
 Although the accident was over a year ago,  I never drank again. 
She had died because of alcohol. Not so deep down, I knew that if 
I ever took a drink again then someone else would die.  It  would 
be me.
 As  I  lay  in my tent that night unable  to  sleep,  death  the 
purifier seemed like an increasingly good fellow to meet. No job. 
No kids. No Sarah. No future? Yes, it WAS a bloody good idea! How 
to do it?
 At  nearly  quarter to four that morning,  I left  my  tent  and 
started to climb a nearby hill. It was cold, wet and dark. I left 
my coat and waterproofs behind. I would not need them again.
 Twenty  minutes later,  I reached the summit of the steep  hill. 
Coincidence had provided me with just what I was looking for. The 
other side of the hill was a sheer cliff. Carefully, I approached 
the edge and looked down into the dark beckoning woods below.  It 
would  be  so easy - so inviting - to take a last  step  forwards 
into  oblivion.  A few seconds of freezing flight  then  silence. 
 Obviously, I didn't take that step - so, I'm a coward, big deal! 
Instead,  I sat down.  Drunk with fatigue,  I was in a  dreamlike 
state.  I  cried for a while and then sat in a trance for a  long 
time. Why me?
 Suddenly I jerked to awareness.  The sun was up and the view was 
quite  lovely.  I was cold.  I shivered in the cutting  wind.  My 
clothes were damp with the rain and nervous sweat,  but I did not 
care.  For some unknown reason, I felt euphoric. I was aware of a 
warmth - a hope - inside.  Everything happens for a reason. Sure, 
life had hit a few too many curve balls recently, but all times - 
even  bad ones - change.  I think it was George Orwell  who  said 
something along the lines of,  when you're lying on the bottom of 
the world the only way is up. Think I know what he meant.
 I had decided to stand up when I sneezed.  Suicide by Pneumonia. 
I waited a few moments for the next sneeze.  It is my  experience 
that sneezes are plural never singular.  The second sneeze  never 
came. Wrong again Tony. I stood up and began the weary climb back 
down the hillside.
 I was thirsty so I stopped and drank deeply from a spring.
 "Oh,  God!  I need a drink!" I whispered out loud.  All at once, 
with  a  vice like grip,  the hand of depression  re-clutched  my 
 By the time I got back to the tent, it was far too bright to try 
and sleep.  I got out my stove and heated up a tin of Irish Stew. 
After only two spoonfuls,  I felt suddenly sick.  I swallowed two 
caffeine  tablets with cold sweet tea and reluctantly decided  to 
force the rest of the stew down.
 After some more cold tea,   - God really knew what he was  doing 
when he invented tea and sugar - I folded the tent away and  went 
down to the stream to wash the remains of the stew from the  pot. 
I  changed  my mind and violently threw the pot  into  the  white 
water. The world stinks!
 "And then,  one day, all the shit died! So ad bloody infinitum!" 
I shouted - no,  I don't understand it either - and went back  to 
the campsite.
 When  everything  was  packed I set off.  I didn't  plan  to  go 
anywhere in particular.  I didn't even look at the map. It didn't 
matter.  It  was the walking that mattered.  When you walk for  a 
long time,  even the best scenery eventually gets dull. Your mind 
seems  to switch off.  Your body is on  autopilot.  The  rhythmic 
swing  of  your legs hypnotises you.  The hours can  go  by  very 
quickly - if you let them.
 Many hours later,  I came to a largish village.  Where it was, I 
don't  know.  There  was a licensed grocers and it  was  open.  I 
bought a bottle of whisky and a half bottle of cheap wine.
 I walked for quarter of an hour until I was sure I would not  be 
seen. My water flask hung on the crystalline graphite frame of my 
rucksack  - so its old fashioned,  but it still does the  job.  I 
opened  it,  drank half a pint of water and poured the rest  onto 
the road. We wouldn't like to end up dehydrated - would we?
 I  opened  the bottle of whisky and poured most of it  into  the 
water flask. About a quarter was left in the bottle. I held it up 
to my face and stared at the beautiful golden  liquid.  Oh,  such 
delights it would bring!  It sparkled magically as it caught  the 
sunlight. I sniffed at the mouth of the bottle. The smell made my 
stomach heave whilst my mouth watered with desire...

      Nostalgia had been triggered. A memory popped up out of the
     twilight zone.  Me,  aged four, tasting whisky for the first
     time.  It  was the morning after some sort of party.  I  had
     discovered  what  looked  like a half full  bottle  of  soft
     drink.  I couldn't read,  but recognised the bottle as being
     cream soda.  Why was the liquid a sort of brown colour?  Who
     cares! I tilted back the bottle allowing the unknown into my
     young mouth and went into an extreme panic at what I tasted.
     It was fire!  I spat it out and got a towel to dry my tongue
     with. The stuff made the towel go a funny colour.  Who would
     put  such horrible stuff in a cream soda  bottle?  Was  that
     what they called alcohol?  If that's what the grown ups call
     "drinking", they must be mad! Why on Earth would anyone want
     to drink stuff like that?  It hurts! I'm never ever going to
     drink that sort of stuff when I grow up!

 ...I took a sip.  It made me cough.  I drained the remainder  in 
one prolonged gulp. It burned like hell; yet contained a welcomed 
comfort reminiscent of a long lost friend. "Hello. I'm back! Long 
time  no see," it said happily.  I held my breath for a while  so 
that I wouldn't cough and threw the empty bottle away.
 After my abstinence, the fatigue and my depression, one mouthful 
of that hellish brew would have been enough to make me high.  The 
amount I had just gulped down was just plain stupid!  Ten minutes 
later it hit me. My last clear thoughts were pathetic.
 "If I wait till I'm starting to sober up, I can sip the rest and 
stay drunk all day."
 It  must  have worked;  for the rest of that day I walked  in  a 
trance.  The night passed like a long shadow.  The next day was a 
hazy dream.  The effects of the drink could not have lasted  that 
long. I must have bought more, but I don't remember.
 When  I sort of came to my senses - I don't know how  much  time 
had passed - it was four in the afternoon. Which afternoon, I did 
not  know.  I  was overcome with exhaustion.  I had to  get  some 
sleep.  It  was raining again and I didn't have a clue as  to  my 
whereabouts. I was walking along a country road. To my left was a 
lake or loch.  To my right was a pine forest.  I set off into the 
forest looking for a campsite.
 Soon,  I  came to a large clearing and  stopped  suddenly.  Very 
suddenly. In fact, I fell over.
 Not  wanting  to get up again,  I wriggled out  of  my  rucksack 
straps  and managed to open it.  I had enough awareness  left  to 
find my survival kit.  I took out the survival bag and, with much 
difficulty,  pulled  the  toggle which allowed the  memory  metal 
struts to unfold it. I put my sleeping bag inside, crawled in and 
blacked out.
 Odd people have odd dreams.
 There was a room with no windows.  Perhaps a cellar?  A stairway 
seemed to be the only way out.  I went up the stairs. Dead end. A 
deep growling laugh that sounded strangely familiar.  I turned to 
 At the bottom of the stairs was a terrible apparition.  It was a 
naked  sexless person.  Instead of a head,  it had a slimy  white 
skull. Bleeding eyes in sharp edged sockets swivelled my way. The 
thing  waited for me.  "Come here.  I want to talk to  you,"  the 
skull said with a flapping tongue that looked suspiciously like a 
slice of raw liver. Again, laughter. The stairs folded and became 
a smooth slope.  I started to slide towards the monster. No! More 
 Terrified,  I clawed at the slope until my fingers  bled.  First 
time I've ever felt pain in a dream!  It was so real that I  felt 
my  fingernails peel back and break.  Splinters of wood from  the 
stairs embedded themselves into the open weeping flesh. It's only 
a dream!  It's only a dream!  Then why does it hurt so much?  The 
thing reached out with a massive hand and engulfed my face.  Wet. 
Cold. Dark. I can't breath! Laughing! It hurts! When you die in a 
dream, do you die for real?
 And then I woke up. I still couldn't breath. Something was on my 
face.  I  pulled it away and gulped in air.  What had been on  my 
face?  It was the plastic of the survival bag.  The damp  morning 
dew had made it stick to my face.
 Reluctantly, I opened my eyes. My head throbbed and I felt sick. 
I  moved slightly and became aware of an urgent need to empty  my 
bladder.  It was either getting dark or getting light.  I pressed 
the button of my watch.
 "Five p.m." It informed me.
 For Scotland,  it was surprising that it was not already dark at 
this time of year.  I must have been asleep for over 12 hours.  I 
crawled out of the survival bag and gently vomited bile onto  the 
grass.  The  steam  from the mess was  vivid,  white,  thick  and 
unreal.  I stood up, unzipped my fly and washed the ugliness away 
with a snaking flow of the darkest urine I had ever seen.
 "Thank God, no one can see the state I'm in!"
 I turned around and got the biggest shock of my life. A few feet 
away,  lying  on the ground,  was a bearded man dressed in  green 
tights and jacket.  The fairy fellow! He was lying face down with 
one arm outstretched,  presumably,  unconscious. A woolly hat was 
lying  on the ground beside him.  His hair was white - just  like 
 My  hangover  forgotten,  I  checked him for  broken  bones  and 
bruises.  Nothing!  I ran my fingers quickly through his hair. If 
there was a lump there I missed it. He was breathing okay and his 
pulse  was  strong,  so  I didn't bother  putting  him  into  the 
recovery position. Where could he have come from? Who was he? Why 
was  he still so familiar?  Could this really be the same  person 
that  I  had seen by the roadside so long ago  on  that  terrible 
 I stood up and began to look for an automobile or something. Why 
I assumed there would be a vehicle,  I don't know - I just did. I 
didn't find an automobile.  I found a something.  It was  roughly 
the same shape as a two man hovercraft,  but the controls on  the 
open dashboard were of an unfamiliar sort.  There was three large 
digital clock displays.  There was no steering wheel, foot pedals 
or wheels.  A five foot flywheel was mounted behind the sofa type 
seat. A sort of safety rail ran right around its perimeter. There 
were no doors,  but the rail would have to be climbed over to get 
 Obviously, it was not a hovercraft. It must be capable of moving 
in some other manner.  After all, this was the middle of a forest 
in the Scottish highlands.  How else could it have got here?  Was 
it some weird ground effect machine?
 I climbed in.  There was a button labelled EMERGENCY  RETURN.  I 
was  about  to  press  it when  a  thought  struck  me.  If  this 
ridiculous  machine was indeed capable of  motion;  pressing  the 
button might set it off on a journey.  Maybe I would have trouble 
switching it off again?
 I  climbed  out  again and carried the  Fairy  fellow  into  the 
vehicle.  I settled down into the seat beside him and pressed the 
button marked EMERGENCY RETURN.  With a hum the fly wheel started 
spinning. The world began to shake slightly. The hum increased in 
pitch and everything outside of the craft went grey.  Look again! 
There was no outside of the craft any more.  Just the greyness. I 
felt like a character in one of those cartoons where the hero  is 
running so fast that he leaves the cartoon altogether and  stands 
on an empty canvas.
 I  felt panic surge over me and I insanely decided to jump  over 
board into the nothingness, when the Fairy fellow woke up.
 "Don't," he called.
 I  had one leg over the side already.  I would have jumped  out, 
but I couldn't feel the ground. When the fairy fellow had spoke I 
felt a giddy sense of disorientation.  So strong was this feeling 
that for a moment I thought that it was myself who had spoken.
 "Don't  do it.  I don't know what will happen,  but it might  be 
rather nasty," he said.
 For a second or so I thought about diving off over the side  and 
then changed my mind. Instead, I withdrew my leg and dropped back 
onto the seat beside him.
 "What's going on?  Who are you?" I was too frightened to be able 
to say anything else.
 "Er, I can't remember, but my head hurts. Who are you?" he ran a 
heavy  scarred hand through his white hair and gave  a  groan.  I 
don't  know why,  but I got the impression that he was lying  and 
that he knew perfectly well who I was.
 "Tony Wheelbough," I said.
 "I know!" he said laughing.
 "Know what?" I said.
 "I remember what's happening now.  Well,  sort of! You shouldn't 
be  here with me.  As to what the hell is happening,  things  are 
still a bit hazy. Are you flying this thing?"
 "No. I hit the emergency return button."
 "I don't think that I remembered to set it,  so we'll end up  in 
the right place probably at the wrong time."
 "What?" I said again.
 "Oh wise up Tony!  Haven't you worked it out yet? This is a time 
 "Like  the TARDIS?" Given my current position,  you would  think 
that it would have been difficult to mock the fairy fellow. Still 
I tried.
 "Not quite. More like the one in that antique film."
 "Back To The Future?"
 "No!"  he  said in annoyance.  "That's not old enough to  be  an 
antique.  I'm  talking about that film about a time machine  that 
was called er, The Time Machine. It's your favourite film."
 "How would you know?"
 The greyness changed.  In its place was a reddish sky and  grass 
so  dark that it was almost black.  In front of the time  machine 
were  two extraordinary things.  The first was the skeleton of  a 
whale. It was instantly recognisable as a whale simply because it 
could not have been anything else.  It looked as if the bones had 
been polished and was quite beautiful in an odd sort of way.  The 
second  extraordinary  thing was a gigantic  flashing  neon  sign 
which  floated unsupported in the air above what looked  like  an 
old Edwardian manor house. It said;

              T H E   E D G E   O F   N O W H E R E

 "We've arrived," said the fairy fellow.
 "Please tell me what is going on?" I whimpered.
 "Sorry no time.  Must be off. Go to the help booths over there." 
My eyes followed as he gestured towards a row of what looked like 
cash dispensers set into the side of a wall standing in front  of 
the manor house.
 "Hurry up.  I shouldn't be here at all. Causality violations and 
all  that stuff.  Savvy?" He vaulted over the  safety  rail,  ran 
round  to my side of the machine and roughly pulled me  out  onto 
the dark grass. Next he lifted up the seat of the craft to expose 
a  storage area which was filled with several  bits'n'pieces.  He 
removed  what  might  have been  a  large  portable  computer.  A 
familiar glowing band was attached to it by a single thick cable. 
He carried them over to a second, identical, looking time machine 
parked  near by.  Opened the seat locker,  dumped his  cargo  in, 
slammed the seat shut again and climbed inside.
 "Be seeing you," he grinned.
 "Wait!" I shouted.
 "The help booths. Go to the help booths!" he pointed again.
 Then  he  and the time machine were gone.  It was as  simple  as 
that.  One second he was there sitting in the machine smiling and 
the next he was gone.  There was no fading involved.  No bang  of 
air rushing in to fill a vacuum.  Just a sharp crack like a large 
piece  of  elastic  snapping and I was alone on  the  dark  grass 
beside the  skeleton of an extinct sea mammal.
 Not for long though!
 There  was  another sharp crack to my left.  I looked  and  saw, 
perhaps  50  feet away,  a large object where  nothing  had  been 
seconds ago. It looked like a miniature version of the part of an 
oil rig that shows above the waves.  I guess its height must have 
been around the 30 foot mark. As I watched, a door opened, a ramp 
extruded and three people got out.  I say people only because the 
creatures  were  humanoid and walked on  hind  legs.  Instead  of 
clothes they were covered in tidy green feathers and had  several 
belts hung about themselves.  One of them looked in my  direction 
and gave a wave and a whistle.
 "Hi!" it said when I didn't answer its whistle.
 It's face was much like I imagined a human beings would look  if 
it was covered in feathers.  To my surprise there was no beak  on 
the face nor was there any sign of wings on the body.  It  turned 
back to its companions and they walked off towards the  building. 
"Some people!" one of them muttered quietly.
 What  I needed at that moment was a book entitled,  How To  Stay 
Calm.  As no such publication was available,  I decided to follow 
the bird-men at a discreet distance. 
 Nearer the building,  I could see the words,  "Edge Of  Nowhere" 
carved in the stone above the main doors.  To the right and  left 
were smaller sets of double doors.  Over one set of doors a small 
black and gold sign said,  "The Last Restaurant".  Under the sign 
was  a painting of a cobblers anvil with a ballet slipper in  the 
background.  Very funny I don't think!  LAST, huh! Over the other 
set  of  doors a sign said "The Tavern".  There was  no  painting 
beside  this sign.  It was through the latter that  the  bird-men 
went.  I tried to follow,  but could not. It felt as if something 
was pushing me back.  At first it was as if I was walking into  a 
strong  wind  that  slowly  increased the nearer  I  got  to  the 
building.  When I was about 15 feet from the front door the force 
was so strong that my progress was halted. What now?
 I turned,  intending going over to the so called help booths and 
was  pushed  over by the invisible force and dragged a  few  feet 
back  the way that I had came.  Oh,  why can't I have  piece  and 
quiet to enjoy my hangover?
 The nearby help booths looked a bit like cash dispensers  except 
for a dark hole where the money would come out and a much  larger 
landscape screen containing many lines of text. The first line of 
text was English.  The second looked like Russian. The next might 
have been Mandarin.  The next 30 or more lines were a mystery  to 
me.  I  later found out that some were other Earth  languages  an 
others Alien dialects. Here is what the English text said,
 I did as I was told.
 A  full  sized  drawing of a keyboard appeared  in  the  screen. 
Slowly, I typed in my answer.
 "Don't understand."
 "Tony Wheelbough."
 More than a minute goes by.
 "Not much."
 What a dumb question! It was tempting to give a negative answer, 
but  it  was a machine and wouldn't catch  the  irony.  It  would 
probably  would  just say goodbye.  Instead,  I answered  in  the 
 The help booth went on to tell me lots of things about the  Edge 
Of  Nowhere.  Like  the  nature of  the  invisible  barrier  that 
prevented my progress earlier.  It was nothing more than a  fancy 
type  of force field nicknamed a friction field -  true  friction 
fields  don't  exist.  The  nearer you got to it  the  harder  it 
became.  Fine, I had already guessed as much. What's it for? This 
was  pretty  obvious  when you thought  about  it.  To  keep  out 
 Time travellers don't always arrive by time machine and are  not 
necessarily  friendly or even sentient.  It's not unusual  for  a 
tiger  or  something  equally  vicious to  get  caught  up  in  a 
naturally occurring time warp and be thrown out near the Edge  Of 
Nowhere.  When the planet was discovered there were all sorts  of 
skeletons - even a few human - and other junk lying about in  and 
around the arrival zone. There is no surface water on this planet 
and  nearly all the vegetation is poisonous (to  Earth  creatures 
anyway), thus the skeletons. This zone is roughly triangular with 
sides slightly less than 10 miles long.  Right in the middle is a 
safe  zone  where nothing is ever washed up by the  current's  of 
time.  This is where the complex was built.  For extra  security, 
the force field was added.  All the junk was cleared away to make 
room for arriving space/time craft - actually,  nearly all of the 
visitors are space, not time, travellers. Travelling any distance 
through  space  involves a certain amount of mucking  about  with 
time.  The only piece of junk that was allowed to remain was  the 
skeleton of a blue whale. It was moved nearer to the force field, 
covered with preservative and polished.
 This was all very interesting stuff, but how do I get in?
 May be adjusted?  I knew what a Kirlian field is. It's a sort of 
electrical force that surrounds everything.  Some people call  it 
an  Aura.  Even  as early as the twentieth century  it  had  been 
photographed by a special process.  According to the help  booth, 
by  the twenty third century it was almost  universally  accepted 
that  the Kirlian field is actually the soul.  Inanimate  objects 
have 'pretend' souls.  Animals have partial souls that will  grow 
into the full thing if self awareness occurs.  The friction field 
that  protects the Edge Of Nowhere is triggered by the lack of  a 
key patch in the person's Kirlian field. The patch is attached to 
the  individuals Aura by the help booth if it is  satisfied  that 
the person is not dangerous. Unfortunately, Kirlian technology is 
an  inexact  science.  One  in every ten thousand  people  has  a 
naturally  occurring  patch similar enough to a key so  that  the 
force  field  ignores them.  According to  the  help  booth,  the 
chances that one of these people would turn out to be a threat to 
the  Edge Of Nowhere is so low as to be negligible.  I'm  not  so 
sure. Life is full of impossibilities. Well, mine is!
 My Kirlian field was,  indeed adjusted. After it had answered my 
questions,  the help booth asked me all sorts of questions.  Some 
of them were quite odd. For example,
 "Doubt it."
 "If you mean gossiping, then yes."
 And so on, and on and on....
 At the end of it all, I was thanked for being so helpful and was 
told to put one of my arms into the dark hole to the left of  the 
 I  was careful and did not receive a shock.  My soul was  marked 
and I was free to enter the Edge of Nowhere.  There was one  last 
question for me.
 "No, I'm not."
 "I do not want a job as a barman." 
 "I do not!"
 "I don't care."
 Oh,  my  God!  How  could this machine know about  Sarah  Brown? 
Fumbling, I hurriedly typed in a question.
 The information was indeed security protected.  I questioned  it 
for a while,  but it acted dumb and denied saying anything  about 
Sarah  Brown.  There  was  nothing else  I  could  do.  This  was 
blackmail! Reluctantly, although intrigued, I turned away, walked 
a few tens of feet - unmolested by the force field - and  entered 
the Tavern for the first time. My life was changed for ever. 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.