Skip to main content

 "Anything that happens, happens.
  Anything that,  in happening,  causes something else to happen, 
causes something else to happen.
  Anything  that,  in happening,  causes itself to happen  again, 
happens again.
  It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."
                                 Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless" 

                      by Richard Karsmakers

 Last  October,  during  the  42nd week of the year  to  be  more 
precise,  I  took  a well-deserved couple of  days  off.  As  the 
semester lessons had wrapped things up the Friday before, Miranda 
and myself took the opportunity to hop off to London for a couple 
of  days during the first week of the semester  tests.  It  would 
still leave plenty of time to prepare these tests,  but at  least 
it  would give the satisfaction of a short holiday as  we  hadn't 
had one during the regular summer time.
 Of course, our experiences in London weren't half as exciting as 
Stefan and Tim's in Bushland.  We saw no Golden Gates shrouded in 
preternatural  mists  that were being pushed ashore gently  by  a 
Pacific breeze, we weren't assailed by rattlesnakes or bears, and 
we  didn't spend days on end in national parks with  breathtaking 
views  of  rocks  poised  in  a  'vogue'  more  dramatical   than 
 Nonetheless we had a good time.

 It  all started at about noon on Monday,  October 12th.  We  had 
travelled from Utrecht to Hoek van Holland ("Hook of Holland") by 
train and checked in.
 For a short and terrifying moment we thought we heard a  Mexican 
customs  officer  yelling  "senorita por favor  wenga  wenga"  or 
something thereabouts but nothing of that sort happened.  Miranda 
was  not  ripped off any Kotex Freedom (which was  good,  as  she 
didn't have any to be ripped off of in the first place).
 We basked in the sun aboard the Koningin Beatrix, the Stena Line 
ferry  that was to take us to Harwich where we were scheduled  to 
arrive at about 19:00.
 Nothing much happened during the trip. The sea was calm, and the 
on-board  cinema  allowed  us to  check  out  Steven  Spielberg's 
"Hook"  - an excellent film on all accounts that is  filled  with 
both humour and touching moments. An excellent piece of work that 
nobody should have missed (best thing to do is go out and rent it 
when you've finished reading this).
 We  took some snapshots of an eeriely beautiful sky just  beyond 
the point of sunset around which time we arrived at Harwich Quay.

 There British Rail really threw soot in our food (yo,  a loosely 
translated Dutch proverb here).  The train was scheduled to leave 
at 19:45 but started off with an initial fifteen minutes'  delay. 
This  was manageable,  because we've been through worse - I  mean 
Dutch Railways aren't that much better.  When we eventually  left 
we were supposed to arrive at Liverpool Street  Station,  London, 
at 21:15.
 Eventually we got there at 23:50,  with a total delay of  nearly 
three  hours  due to electric problems and more of that  sort  of 
thing.  At least they had Guiness aboard, but nonetheless we were 
both  thoroughly  fed up when the train stopped for a  length  of 
fourth dimension for the zillionth time.
 We  had  to rush to get the last subway to  Notting  Hill  Gate, 
the   nearest   quickly  obtainable   underground   station,   at 
approximately  ten  minutes' walking distance of  which  lay  the 
Plaza Hotel, 42 Princess Square.
 We arrived at about 00:30.
 We  didn't  find  it necessary to  admire  the  unexpected  good 
quality  of  the hotel room (which was more than adequate  for  a 
two-star  thing)  and  soon drifted off into  dreams  haunted  by 
busted electrics and trains that continued stopping.

 Next day started quite early,  at 08:00.  We had decided not  to 
spend too much time in bed because,  after all,  we would only be 
spending  about  two  full days in London and we  had  plenty  of 
things we wanted to do.  Breakfast television informed us of  the 
fact that the Covent Garden IRA bombing victim had died.  So  far 
so good. Not.
 I  will never cease being stunned at the fact that  the  British 
somehow succeed in making their ordinary brown bread and ordinary 
milk  somehow taste 'English'.  Breakfast opened up a new  reason 
for me to wonder about this.
 After having this food added to my bowel system I could  already 
hear  Oxford Street crying out to  me.  HMV.  Virgin  Megastores. 
Dillons.  Books,  videos  and  little shiny  silvery  discs  with 
microscopically arranged indentures on their surfaces. Wannahave! 
 The first half of the first day was mainly spent walking in  and 
out  of the aforementioned shops.  For the previous two months  I 
had  been  making  a list of things to try  and  get  in  London: 
"Fantasia"  in English,  "The Soundtracks" compilation on  CD  by 
Jerry  Goldsmith,  Douglas  Adams' latest  if  already  available 
(which  I didn't suspect would happen,  as the release  date  was 
rumouredly set in November), the latest two Terry Pratchett books 
in  softcover versions (for Stefan) and some other  miscellaneous 
books and silvery discs.
 After  one or two hours I was already walking around  being  the 
proud  owner  of a cult Red Dwarf  T-Shirt  (Kryten:  "There's  a 
popular droid saying, in binary it goes like "00100010100111100", 
sets you thinking doesn't it?"),  "Fantasia" and Gwar's  "Phallus 
in Wonderland".  Goldsmith's compilation CD was available nowhere 
- some shops even went as far as stating that the thing had  been 
deleted as far back as May 1991.  In the end I think we must have 
visited at least a dozen large and small records shops,  none  of 
which could help me any further (yes, dear reader, this is a hint 
-  please contact me if you have this particular  album!).  Other 
CDs  I  was looking for - Venom's "Possessed" and  generally  any 
interesting Metallica/Vangelis novelty - weren't present either.
 At around noon we accidentally stumbled across an extensive book 
shop's window that was entirely filled with a pile of books and a 
huge poster with "DOUGLAS ADAMS",  "MOSTLY HARMLESS" and a  small 
green-blue planet with an arrow pointing towards it.  Apparently, 
and to my great surprise and satisfaction,  the release date  had 
been  put forward to the 42nd week.  Within five minutes I  stood 
outside cherishing a plastic bag with the book in it.
 That signified the end of the first day's shopping bout. Miranda 
had been to London for the last time somewhere about 10 years ago 
and  she barely remembered any of it.  We decided to take one  of 
those "Sightseeing" hop-on/hop-off bus tours through London.
 The  weather was beautiful - chilly but with lots of sun  and  a 
fantastically blue sky.  I took out my camera and waited for what 
the tour would hurl at us.
 I  had already done one of those tours before,  when I  came  to 
London with my dad in the mid-eighties.  This one took a slightly 
different route but nonetheless it showed us the major sights  of 
London such as the Houses of Parliament,  St.  Paul's, Piccadilly 
Circus,  The Tower (and its bridge), Nelson's Column and numerous 
other more or less interesting bits (such as the London Hard Rock 
Café).  I  made  some cliché pictures,  of  course.  The  guiding 
comments  were interesting and,  moreover,  partly backed by  Joe 
Satriani's  "Not  of this Earth".  These  tours,  even  when  not 
featuring  Joe  Satriani,  are the best way to see  the  most  of 
London in little time.
 After  this tour we went back to Trafalgar  Square.  Somehow,  a 
huge amount of pigeons and fountains seem appealing to people  of 
the  tourist persuasion such as we were.  There was lots of  shit 
there,  and not just the birdy kind. One statue of a particularly 
heroic  British  warlord  of  sorts  was  covered  in  dung  most 
unmajestically.  Having  a  statue made of oneself  would  surely 
alter one's view about pigeons, wouldn't it?
 From  Trafalgar Square we went on our way to Buckingham  Palace. 
We strolled leisurely through St.  James' Park and made some more 
snapshots there - including some of a squirrel that appeared  not 
to be frightened of humans and that came really close. Somehow it 
seems  strange  that  any animals except  pigeons  seem  able  to 
survive in a city like London with all its dirt,  smog and people 
living in it.
 Around that time,  it must have been around half past five,  our 
stomachs started to inform us of their rather empty state - which 
was a surprise,  as we had stopped at just about every McDonald's 
or  Burger  King's  to check out the quality  of  the  milkshakes 
(Conclusion: They are way too thick, you usually have to eat them 
using your drinking straw as a spoon of sorts).
 Through  Green Park (the Park with no flowers) we walked to  the 
underground  station  of the same name so that we  could  get  to 
Oxford Street where we would go and have a bite to eat at a Pizza 
 Something else happened just before that, though.
 We passed a shop that looked more like a badly furnished auction 
hall.  Indeed,  inside  sortof an auction seemed to be going  on. 
Apparently,  Game  Boys and walkmen and other  usually  expensive 
consumer goods were being sold to whoever stuck up his hand first 
at prices of about two pound sterling.
 We walked in, which was a stupid move to make. Before we knew it 
we  had payed two pounds for some dubious reason and  we  started 
waiting  for prolonged times until the guy would quit  drivelling 
meaninglessly  and  actually  start  selling  some  stuff  at   a 
ridiculously cheap price. In the end we got bored, screwed out of 
two pounds and left.  We had no clue as to how this guy  operated 
his business profitably,  but at least he made two pounds'  worth 
of profit from us.
 We  entered the nearest Pizza Hut and tried a new  pizza  called 
Chicken Tikka or something along those lines.  Tasted brilliantly 
-  something with curry and chicken that didn't particularly  fit 
on  a  Pizza  as  such but that tasted  good  (and  quite  spicy) 
 After the Pizza Hut we went to the neighbourhood where out hotel 
was.  Did some more shopping, the result of which was me becoming 
the owner of the Complete Illustrated works of Lewis Carroll's at 
a  mere five quid.  After that (someone we must have  mislaid  an 
hour or two) we went to our hotel and entered our beds. 
 We  were  soothed  to  sleep  by  a  remarkably   sleep-inducing 
documentary about the Kennedies.

 Next  day was slightly less brilliant as far as the weather  was 
concerned.  The  sky had turned a drab grey and it looked  as  if 
rain  could be pouring forth from it any minute.  We were  lucky, 
however, and the first drops would only fall at about 19:00, when 
we were already in the train back to Harwich.
 Whereas  standard  breakfast included in the hotel price  was  a 
continental one (i.e. bread and some rather basic stuff to put on 
it)  we  decided that our last day would have to start  off  with 
bacon'n'eggs,  sausages,  the  works.  English cuisine  may  suck 
severely, but they know how to make a breakfast that can keep you 
going for quite a while.
 The  morning  was devoted completely to trying to get  right  up 
front at Buckinham Palace to witness the changing of the  guards, 
that would start at 11:30.  I had been to England about two dozen 
times  and I had even spent time in London on about half a  dozen 
occasions,  but each time I hadn't come round to seeing the  main 
event in London. Neither had Miranda, by the way.
 Concluding,  it can be said that all this changing of the  guard 
is  tedious to say the least.  The only interesting bit  happened 
when  we  saw  a custom Bentley (or Rolls?)  with  a  royal  flag 
driving someone clad in green (most likely the Queen herself)  in 
the direction of the Houses of Parliament.  After that we went on 
a quest for the nearest tube station to find a McDonald where  we 
could  go  and  annoy ourselves with  stupefyingly  thick  shakes 
 I  think we got enough cholesterol in our systems  during  those 
couple  of  days to give many people an instant  cardiac  arrest. 
Yet, somehow, we came out alive.
 In  the afternoon we went to the Tower Bridge.  Our little  trip 
was some sort of package deal, part of which was free entrance to 
the Tower Bridge.  As of 1984 it has been made accessible to  the 
public so that you can have a look at what it's like inside. It's 
quite impressive,  really, but not half as impressive as the view 
over  London you get from the topmost accessible point.  We  made 
some more cliché pictures there (needless to say, really).
 After  our  visit  to  the Tower  Bridge,  which  ended  with  a 
positively claustrophobic experience involving a relatively small 
elevator and about three dozen noisy people,  we went off to  the 
Natural History Museum.
 I've always been into dinosaurs a lot.  Probably,  the amount of 
dinosaur  books  in my bookcase outnumbers  the  computer-related 
stuff.  I  had been to the Natural History museum when I  visited 
London with my dad.  The major change that happened since then is 
that you now have to pay £4 to get in (this used to be for free). 
Good  thing  we could get reduced entry prices  because  we  were 
students (good thing we hadn't forgotten our student passes!).
 The dinosaur bit has been completely redone.  Whereas earlier it 
consisted of about a dozen reconstructed dinosaur skeletons  they 
have  now  allocated an entire wing with interactive  display  as 
well  as  some accurately animated models of  predator  dinosaurs 
munching on a huge herbivore.  Quite impressive,  even if  you're 
not truly in this sort of thing.
 And  of course there was the shop.  The Natural  History  Museum 
bookshop is a dream for any dinosaur freak.  Books can be  bought 
varying   from   childishly  simple   to   beyond   frustratingly 
scientific. Unfortunately we only had £15 left, which we also had 
to use to eat later on.  I could buy none of the books, no matter 
how much I longed to buy one or two of them. One of the books was 
called "Dinosaurs!" and was based on a British television  series 
(which,  obviously,  I  totally failed not  to  miss).  Excellent 
reconstructions in there, and capably written.
 In  the  end we had to sortof hurry into the local  Burger  King 
(yes,  more cholesterol - and Burger King doesn't taste quite  as 
good  as McDonald's either),  get our luggage presto and get  our 
asses back over to Liverpool Street Station by 18:55.
 The train on the way back had no delay whatsoever.  I spent most 
of  it  gazing at some dude who was using the latest  Lotus  word 
processor (I forget its name) on a laptop.  I could already  feel 
inspiration  gathering  in my fingertips at the mere  thought  of 
being able to write something wherever I was.  Of course I didn't 
have my portable Z88 with me - Miranda wouldn't have let me if  I 
had tried.
 By the time we arrived in Harwich it was raining cats and  dogs. 
None of it bothered us, however, for the first time we would have 
to  go out in the open would be when we would have to  cross  the 
100  yards  or so between the nearest bus stop and  our  flat  in 
Utrecht - which would happen in about 13 hours or so.
 We  quickly  bought  some cinema tickets for the  first  film  - 
"Wayne's World" - and bought some stuff to munch on.
 It  was the first time I travelled by night,  with a  cabin  and 
all. The cabin was very comfortable, with two bunkbeds and even a 
bathroom with small shower,  toilet and washbasin.  Pretty  neat, 
but not the place you'd want to be when a ship sinks.
 "Wayne's World" was good fun.  Some of the jokes were difficult, 
though,  as there were no subtitles.  Miranda was the only  girl, 
and  the rest of the cinema was filled with pre-adolescents  that 
seemed  only  capable  of understanding any jokes  if  they  were 
either sex-related or blatantly unsubtle.
 After the film, at about 23:00, we went to our cabin to sleep.
 We both slept marvelously,  even though there was this  constant 
sound  as if the entire ship around us was being tested  for  its 
strength  all  the  time.  This is something  you  get  used  to, 
however,  which  can't be said of the odd somewhat  more  violent 
bobbing caused by the increasing winds.

 At 7:00,  Thursday,  October 15th,  we arrived back at Hoek  van 
Holland.  We had slept fairly well, without bouts of seasickness. 
The sky had cleared somewhat, and it was dry.
 When  checking out and hopping into the train  home,  our  short 
holiday had ceased to be. We entered rush hour with commuters who 
all found it necessary to have their cigarettes direct all  smoke 
at  our nasal cavities.  Cigarette smoke is just like a  cat.  It 
goes to people that hate it most.


 So far the introduction which, of course, had nothing to do with 
the game whatsoever.
 I  have actually toyed with the idea of having  Cronos  Warchild 
appear here. Cronos the athlete. Cronos the Christian - just like 
Carl  Lewis.  But  I  decided against it  as  Cronos  is  already 
featured  sufficiently throughout other kilobytes in this  issue. 
Besides, I like to write some human interested (i.e. my interest) 
now and again.
 Let's do the review now.

 "The Carl Lewis Challenge" is one of the dozen or so games  that 
popped up around this year's summer olympics. Psygnosis this time 
gave the honour of producing the thing to Teque.  Let's see  what 
they've done about it.

 "TCLC" is basically a sports simulation game that relies heavily 
on  its  arcade  elements but that  has  an  additional  training 
simulator module built in.
 But let's start at the beginning (or,  if you want, begin at the 

 The  game  comes  supplied on two disks with  two  manuals  -  a 
somewhat  extensive  one  and another brief  thingy  with  Carl's 
training  advice.  The latter thing is totally superfluous but  I 
guess  it functions to stress the simulation element a bit  (more 
about that later).
 Remarkably,  "TCLC"  does not load automatically.  You  have  to 
double-click on a program icon in a window, after which the whole 
thing starts happening.
 First you will get an intro.  This contains the usual  Psygnosis 
intro  picture with the text "press a key to go on".  As long  as 
you  don't  press space you'll hear some  digitized  soundtracker 
music  of  remarkably meagre quality.  I  understand  that  Chris 
Hülsbeck  (who  did  all  music/sound  FX)  is  Mad  Max'   major 
competitor  in Germany but from what I've heard in this game  I'd 
rather have Jochen's stuff any time.  The actual in-game music is 
of the ordinary 'blip blop' (i.e.  regular soundchip) variety and 
is even worse, with horrible percussion sounds.


 When  you press space and wait another while you'll be  able  to 
select "arcade",  "training" or "full simulation" - the latter of 
the  three  comprising both the arcade and  training  bits.  What 
struck me here is that they've opted for possibly one of the very 
worst  combinations of background colours ever  opted  (something 
like  "faded  perkament"  or  "putrid  dead  skin  before   rigor 
 Obviously,  the  arcade  bit is the bit where you  can  actually 
torture your joystick (or mouse) trying to get on-screen athletes 
to  move their butts at highest possible speeds.  If  you  select 
this  you'll  be  able  to select up to  four  players  -  which, 
unfortunately,  will  not be capable of competing  simultaneously 
(not even two can combat each other directly).
 When picking your country (one of seventeen different ones)  the 
program  concocts  a name that will sortof fit  your  nationality 
(but not quite).

 And in goes disk two.

 In case you've done some "training" before,  you can now load  a 
squad (i.e.  preset players with specific capacities) if you want 
to.  After  that,  you can select the control method.  There  are 
three of these:  SPEED is the usual one where you have to  waggle 
your  joystick left/right rapidly and where the fire button  lets 
you do things;  GEARING is one where you have to press the  mouse 
button  all  the  time (in out in out in out etc.)  to  build  up 
speed  and  joystick up will cause actions to  be  taking  place; 
RHYTHM sortof lets you waggle in a nerdish way in a pendulum-like 
movement which is utterly impossible.
 Let the games commence.

 All  graphics in the game,  with the exception of some stuff  in 
the  background  and  around  the  arcade  screen,  are  slightly 
brushed-up  digitized  pictures.  The overall quality  is  rather 
poor, but not all too disturbingly so.
 The  events you can compete on are 100 metre sprint,  110  metre 
hurdles  (these  two have replays that can be skipped  as  well), 
javelin,  high jump and long jump.  The latter three  disciplines 
are   very  difficult  indeed  with  very  unintuitive   joystick 
movements  and different phases of action.  Animations  are  also 
very  jumpy,  quite  on the contrary to stuff  I  was  used,  for 
example,  in  the  good  old days when playing  Epyx  games  like 
"Summer Games" and "Summer Games II" on the Commodore 64!
 It should also be noted that,  after a couple of heats, the best 
computer opponent at the 100 metre dash run a whoppin' 8  seconds 
(likewise  they  do 12 seconds at 110  metre  hurdles).  This  is 
slightly  unrealistic  and once more made me respect  the  people 
behind Microprose's "Formula One Grand Prix" where all this  sort 
of stuff is very realistic indeed in spite of the highly  complex 
 After a couple of heats you go on to the finals.  Each time when 
you don't succeed in qualifying yourself for a specific event you 
will  not  be able to play successive heats (or  the  finals)  as 
far as that particular event is concerned.

 Now for the training bit.

 I've  been  employed  by a software company  myself  and  I  can 
already  imagine the managing directors at Psygnosis  having  the 
following conversation with the Teque chaps.
 "Er...guys, it has to have some sort of true training simulation 
option in it."
 "People like simulations.  Or at least we make them believe they 
 "Microprose sells hugely. And what do they do?"
 "So  the  game  will not sell unless it's  got  this  simulation 
angle in it."
 "Shut up, or I'll give the job to Probe."
 "I don't care what the actual training simulation looks like. As 
long  as nobody in their right minds will sue us for  saying  the 
game has it whereas it hasn't."
 "Get my drift?"
 "Er...yeah. Sure."
 "And don't forget that we also want an ST version.  Not just  an 
Amiga one."
 "But the Amiga is our favourite machine, and..."
 "We can easily get ST people to fork out 26 quid for it."
 "But  brushing up the graphics will cost at least a week or  two 
more work..."
 "Don't bother about brushing up. Get the thing on the ST pronto. 
You've got until next week for both versions."
 They  can't do anything about it.  It's the sort of people  they 
are. The bigger the company, the worse.

 And it shows.

 The entire training bit is almost completely non-interactive and 
very  tedious  indeed.  You  merely  select  which  athletes  are 
supposed  to  do what sort of training and the program  does  the 
rest,  increasing specific percentages of the matching  athletes' 
specifications (power,  endurance,  that sort of thing). All this 
is  littered  with some "Carl Lewis Advise" which can  easily  be 
done without.
 The training simulation is not only boring but it is also, sorry 
I have to be this harsh,  crap. You can totally dismiss this from 
the  game,  actually.  It would be a very interesting lawsuit  if 
someone was to sue them for not having a simulation element after 

 So "TCLC" is not particularly an excellent game.  As a matter of 
fact  if I would have shelled out 26 quid for the thing  I  would 
have  gotten  mighty  upset and I  might  actually  have  started 
writing seriously angry letters.  The graphics and sounds are way 
below  standard,  there are too few disciplines and the  training 
element is present but can be totally neglected.
 On top of that,  the basic game design has fundamental flaws  as 
well. For example the program never tells you when to press fire, 
and  it does not check whether the fire button has  already  been 
released  after having had to press fire when you have  to  press 
fire  again  (which can cause you to miss a screen  that  can  be 
exited  with fire after having had to exit a screen  with  fire). 
After the game is over (after the finals),  the program considers 
it  sufficient  just to request you to insert disk one  and  then 
resets itself (so you can start again by double-clicking on  that 
program icon). Especially this latter bit is exceedingly sloppy.
 On  top of that I've seen Amiga screenshots which were  of  such 
good  quality  that it lead me to think the guys did  some  quick 
Amiga->ST graphics conversion without bothering to brush 'em  up. 
They  look naff.  If they would have been done on paper  I  would 
have thought they've been in the sun too long.
Game rating:
Title:                        The Carl Lewis Challenge 
Company:                      Psygnosis 
Graphics:                     6.5 
Sound:                        6.5 
Hookability:                  5 
Playability:                  7 
Value for money:              5 
Overall rating:               6- 
Price:                        £25.99 
Hardware:                     Colour monitor 
Remark:                       Quite boring. Quite expensive.

 Should you want to check out this game anyway, you're welcome to 
contact Psygnosis at the address below.

 Psygnosis Ltd.
 South Harrington Building
 Sefton Street
 Liverpool L3 4BQ 
 Tel. (051) 709 5755 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.