Skip to main content

                      A JOURNEY TO SWEDEN
                       By Stefan Posthuma

 So  I packed my bag and loaded up the car.  Shit,  a  drive  to
Sweden today.  According to the maps and stuff,  it should  take
about 15 hours.  Right.  15 hours in my car,  with a box full of
CDs  to  choose from and the promise of a nice  stay  in  Sweden
ahead of me.
 I drove off at 8 in the morning,  my head fresh and clean, some
Gandalf  in the CD player and the weather mellow  and  dry.  One
hour  later  I  pulled  into the driveway  of  my  aunt's  house
somewhere right in the middle of Holland.  My cousin was  ready,
his bags fitted nicely in the booth and off we were again,  this
time  in the direction of the German border.  The  little  bread
rolls he brought tasted nicely,  nothing beats a breakfast while
cruising down the motorway,  wash it down with some Coke, put my
foot down a bit more, no cops around in this place.
 I  realized we were on the wrong road not until we  nearly  got
off it again.  Consult the map a bit and another road will  take
us to Germany. Getting lost in Holland, this only happens to me,
I can tell you.  One hour wasted on this,  but I cannot let this
get me down,  no way, I am headed for the Viking countries, I am
headed for the Dragons Mountain!

 Germany  was as exciting as Germany can be.  The autobahn  long
and  straight,  the gas open all the way and speed something  to
concentrate on.  Have some more rolls,  down some more Coke  and
follow the signs.  I never realized the countryside of  northern
Germany  could  be so boring but a nice  singalong  with  Slayer
keeps you busy for sure.

 Puttgarden is nothing more than a port for the ferries.  Now  I
didn't  have any German money and the guys in the little  booths
don't take plastic so we first exchanged some money.  165  marks
for a two-way ticket to Sweden.  Right on, I thought it would be
much  more  expensive,  so I have some more money  to  spend  in
Sweden.  Half  an hour later I drove up the ramp into the  ferry
and  another fifteen minutes later we were in the tax-free  area
wondering  how much a 1 litre bottle of Glenlivet  whisky  would
cost  in Dutch guilders.  After we figured this  out,  3  danish
croner roughly makes one Dutch guilder, we joined the masses. It
feels  good  to hold a huge bottle of single malt  12  year  old
Glenlivet  whisky,  the bottle is just so....big.  On the  upper
deck  we  had some fun with the Danish words  for  lifeboat  and
stuff  like that.  It must have looked pretty  silly,  two  guys
reading  the  word 'lifeboat' aloud and breaking  into  fits  of
laughter afterwards. Well, never mind us, we're tourists.

 I  felt  a bit excited as I drove off the  boat,  entering  the
country of Denmark for the very first time in my life.  I didn't
know  what  to  expect of it and one hour later I  came  to  the
conclusion  that Denmark looks exactly like  Holland,  how  very
 The  ferry  from Rodby left at 20:30,  and I sat there  in  the
lounge  a bit tired,  a whole day of driving behind me.  But  we
still  had to cross Sweden so I'd better lighten up a  bit.  The
tax free shop here was even more crowded,  this ferry only  took
like  twenty minutes.  It was like a mob was looting the  place.
People  entered with grim determination on their faces and  came
out clutching bulging bags full of liquor, tobacco and sweeties.
I watched a family share the loot,  the father was unpacking the
bags,  the  two  children grabbing the boxes of candy  from  his
hands,  his wife all over the perfumes and stuff.  I guess greed
is something most people are infected with.
 We  got  back into the car and the last joyful  remark  I  made
there was that we were the second car to leave the  ferry.  Wow,
now  we  could make up for some lost time and get  to  Stockholm
pretty soon.


 "Where  are you going?",  the lady at customs asked me  through
the  rolled down window,  ignoring the passport I was waving  in
front of her.
 "Stockholm",  I replied, still ignorant to the horrors we would
have to go through later.
 "Visiting girlfriends?", she asked.
 "Naaah, just friends".
 "Right.  Can  you  drive  into  the  first  garage  over  there
please?", she asked with a sardonic smile on her face.
 A  nasty  feeling crept up my spine as I turned the  wheel  and
pulled  into  a garage.  I wasn't too  worried  though,  customs
people seem to be attracted to me,  whenever I travel to England
they  want to go through my bags and ask stupid questions  about
my box of soap.
 So we emptied our pockets and unpacked the car. Fine. It wasn't
until we were asked to follow one of the guys that I started  to
get a bit worried. I mean they looked in our bags and in my car.
What more, a stripsearch?
 "Take  off  your  clothes please",  the guy  murmured  in  that
typical Swedish english.
 I sighed deeply and stripped off my sweatshirt and T-shirt.
 "Pants too please"
 Unbuttoned  the 501's and handed them to the guy,  he  actually
turned them inside-out.
 So  I stood there in my underwear,  with this guy wearing  army
green in a little room.  I felt rather unconfortable,  and  felt
downright  stupid when he asked me to take off the last  bit  of
clothing  too.  I  never  thought  anybody  could  pay  so  much
attention  to  a  bit of underwear,  these guys  must  get  some
special training or something.
 "Wait here", he stated and left.
 Damn  this.  I put my clothes back on and sat down on the  only
item present in the room, a wooden shelf.
 Half an hour later I decided to go and find out what was  going
on.  I walked down the corridor and was greeted by a rather  fat
official with a little greasy beard.
 "So what's the deal here?  I have been in that room for half an
hour now, what are you guys doing?"
 "Please return to your room,  you have to wait there",  the guy
 I glanced over his shoulder into the garage where I put my  car
and was kinda surprised to see another car there.
 "Shit, what did you do with my car?"
 I was past the fat guy and down the corridor,  to find  another
garage where I saw my car on a bridge with four or five of these
guys poking around the underside.
 The fatty caught up with me and urged me to return to my room.
 "What  are you guys looking for  anyways?",  I  inquired.  This
stuff was pissing me off.
 "Anything you're not allowed to take into Sweden".
 Yeah  right.  I  returned to 'my room'.  The  little  cell  was
getting  on  my nerves already.  White  tiles,  neon  light  and
completely empty.
 Half  an  hour later I walked out again and fetched  my  cousin
from his room.  No way,  this ain't right. No more than a minute
later we were surrounded by uniforms.
 "So why can't I wait in this hall?", my cousin inquired.
 "Because  I  say  so",  one of the  more  stupid  looking  guys
 "Well, I don't care what you say".
 This  seemed to trigger something in the guy and he grabbed  my
cousin by the sleeve, intending to shove him back into his cell.
 Fuck this, I have had it.
 "Wait a minute.  Who gives you the right to tell me to stay  in
that  shitty  room,   isolated,   and  with  no  explanation  or
 The  guy looked a bit puzzled and actually thought for a  while
to come up with a dazzling answer.
 "Because it's the rules."
 "Yeah  well,  I am pissed off with your rules.  I have been  in
that  room  for an hour now and I would like to  know  how  much
longer this is going to take and what the hell you are doing  to
my car."
 Two  questions at the same time seemed a bit too much  for  our
dear customs official, he stated I had to get back into the room
and not whine about this.
 So  I sat down again on the wooden shelf and one hour  later  I
walked  out  again  and  joined  my  cousin.  We  discussed  the
situation  a  bit  and decided that  there  was  something  very
strange going on here.  I mean we get shoved into little  rooms,
where you can do nothing else but wait and get pissed off  about
the situation.  People are extremely uncooperative,  don't  tell
you  anything about what is going on or how long it is going  to
take.  If you wouldn't know any better,  we were under arrest or
something. Where do they get the nerve to pull shit like this? I
mean  they  are  giving me one hell of  a  first  impression  of
Sweden.  Country of the shithead fascist customs bozos.  Man,  I
was getting severely pissed off there.  We had been stuck  there
for  over  two hours now and still didn't know jack  shit  about
what was going on. Now I understand these people want to look in
my bags. I understand they want to look in my car and I can even
understand  that they want to examine my clothes.  But why am  I
being  shoved  into a little room by people who are  either  too
stupid or too rude to tell me anything?  What have I  done?  Two
hours is very long if you are stuck in this shitty room.
 Just  when  we  wanted  to  go  out  again  and  do  some  more
complaining, another guy came in.
 "I need your passports so we can finish"
 "That's about time!"
 Five minutes later we were packing the car again with extremely
angry  faces and the urge to shout abuse at some of  the  people
watching us do it. But we decided not to provoke these dickheads
anymore  and  just drove off into  Helsingborg  with  screeching
tyres.  It was eleven by then,  a goddamn three hours this  shit
had  taken.  I pulled into the first gas station to let of  some
steam and examined my car a bit. They had taken off the hubcaps,
messed with the battery,  the spare and had done God knows  what
else.  I even noticed that they changed the time on the  digital
clock above the rearview mirror
.  It was exactly two hours later
than it should be.  What did they expect?  Some kind of advanced
espionage device? Stupid assholes.
 I called Niklas in Stockholm and told him we would be late.  It
was  eleven  so  we would probably arrive  around  four  in  the
morning.  If  I  knew how wrong this was,  I  would  never  have

 "Stockholm   565" it said on the sign on the road.  I sat  back
and relaxed.  It was dark,  some Tori Amos on the  stereo.  Full
tank of gas, Stockholm here we come.
 It  started raining a bit and I was a bit puzzled by the  lumps
of sand or salt lying on the road at regular intervals.  Like  a
truck had passed that dropped bits of it.  Some bits were  quite
large and I made sure not to hit them,  it might be some kind of
strange stone or something.
 The  rain turned into snow and the snow started to  get  pretty
dense after about two hours.  In fact,  it was being blown  with
such force that it didn't actually hit the windshield.  I turned
off my wipers and the glass stayed dry. Very strange indeed. The
snow  got  denser and denser and it started to become  a  pretty
weird experience.  I had never driven through a snowstorm before
and  the  little white specks racing towards you like  a  maniac
starfield  tend  to make you feel very  strange.  Then  we  also
noticed the snow on the trees and houses along the road.  It was
then that I realized that the strange lumps were actually  lumps
of snow that had fallen off cars.
 I stopped for a pee-pause and pulled into a parking lot next to
a closed gas station.  I noticed some cars sitting there,  and a
glance into one of them revealed two huddled up figures sleeping
in it. These guys must be cold...
 My  car had some trouble plowing through the about 6 inches  of
snow on the parking lot and the road started getting worse.  The
snow  was frozen at points and it was getting  slippery.  But  I
went on,  things were still manageable.  It wasn't until we  got
onto  the motorway at Jönköping when things went  wrong.  I  saw
lots  of  trucks standing still in the right lane and  very  few
cars  who were also driving slowly.  At a certain  point  things
came  to a total standstill,  a bloody traffic jam at 2  in  the
 From that point we moved very,  very slowly. Most of the trucks
were standing still,  so were most of the cars. The blizzard was
still going, and the road was getting more and more icy. Then we
stopped again and when I wanted to get out to get some fresh air
I  noticed the thick layer of ice on the road.  It  was  totally
frozen  over,  and I discarded the idea of getting out,  it  was
very slippery and there was an icy wind that made my eyes water.
 Great,  stuck on a frozen road in the middle of a  blizzard.  I
put my seat back,  got my winter jacket from the bag on the back
seat  and used it as a cover.  I had to turn off the  engine  to
save  fuel so after about half an hour it started to get  pretty
cold.  But there was no movement or whatsoever and it seemed  to
me that this could take a long time indeed.

 So it did.

 Three hours later,  it was getting light again,  I woke from my
half-sleep, a state of frantic, short dreams and strange visions
and saw the cars and trucks around me start their engines and so
did I. I had to unfold myself first though, my legs were cramped
and very cold, and I felt like shit. It had stopped snowing, and
I had to get out of the car to clear my windshield and get  some
of the ice off the windows. We slowly started moving again, at a
very slow pace.  It was five o'clock and we were about half way.
Great. Just great.
 The  rest  of the journey was pretty intense.  The  roads  were
still partly frozen,  and tracks had formed with large  barriers
of ice and snow in the middle of them.  Every time I hit one  of
them,  the  car would skid and I had to struggle to get it  back
under  control.  Then there were the trucks.  Mad  people  drove
them, some of them in a hurry, driving insanely fast considering
the circumstances. Being overtaken by a truck when there is tons
of snow and ice on the road is quite an  experience.  Visibility
drops  to nil and your car is sprayed with  brownish  snow.  You
just  clutch the wheel and hope your car doesn't sway  and  hits
the  truck.  Also,  sometimes  you encounter trucks  that  drive
slowly so you have to overtake them.  Now the roads are  narrow,
and  there is no way to see past a truck so at a  certain  point
you  just  put  your  foot down  and  plunge  yourself  into  an
armageddon  of  spraying snow and ice and just pray  that  there
isn't another car coming from the other side.
 Driving  under these conditions is pretty devastating  to  your
fatigue and around nine I started to doze off behind the  wheel.
So I pulled into another gas station and called Niklas again  to
tell him we were still alive and on our way.  It was another 100
kilometres to Stockholm so we should be there in an hour.
 After  a  small  pause  to get myself  back  together  again  I
continued and 50 minutes later arrived in the area of  Stockholm
and  promptly  encountered another traffic jam.  Now I  was  too
tired to get annoyed by this and another half hour later we  got
out the little map Niklas drew me and I was extremely pleased to
be  able  to pull into the parking lot next to the  flat  Niklas
lives in some ten minutes later.
 I  stumbled out of my car and into Nik's place.  Warm and  dry,
some  breakfast and we could finally open the immense bottle  of
Glenlivet.  After a big shot of this gorgeous stuff and a shower
I crashed on the nearest bed and slept and slept and slept....

 When  I finally woke up the next day we decided to have a  look
around Stockholm.  It turned out to be a rather beautiful  city,
especially the 'Old Town' is something worth hanging around.  It
is a maze of tiny streets and alleys with lots of antique  shops
and little cafes and 'thingy' stores.  It is indeed old,  dating
back to the middle ages and even before those.  Look at the  map
of  Stockholm  and  the Old Town is a tiny  isle  right  in  the
middle.  Also,  in the Old Town, we got our first price shock. I
got  a can of Coke from a coffee-shop kind of thing and paid  15
krones for it,  about five guilders....FIVE GUILDERS???  And the
bloody  thing wasn't even cooled!  A careful inquiry  about  the
prize  of  a  piece  of  apple  pie  gave  another   shock,   30
krones....10 guilders. Deep sigh, forget about the apple pie.

 From the Old Town we went north into the 'new' centre,  this is
the usual big city centre,  large shopping streets, squares with
enormous  buildings,  lots of stores.  We saw the palace of  the
king  while  the watch was changed.  Strangely  clad  young  men
bearing   automatic  weapons  (which  had  no  clips  in   them)
performing strange drills in front of a few dozen people.  Quite
amusing, but quickly boring.
 We decided to fill our empty stomachs with a hamburger.  Niklas
took  us to a place called 'Big Burger'.  And big they  were,  I
haven't  seen  burgers this big since I was  in  the  USA.  They
tasted pretty good too,  so the fact that they were rather pricy
didn't matter all that much.  After this we walked back to Nik's
house,  a very nice walk along the many bridges of Stockholm. We
came into an older part of the city that is built on some  hills
and  entered  this area with streets going over  other  streets,
sometimes   giving  great  views  of  the  houses  and   streets
underneath,   forming  a  multi-level  maze  that  brought  back
memories  of those fascinating H.P.  Lovecraft  stories.  A  few
hours  later we picked up some pizza (normally priced!) and  sat
down  watching  some of the many videos that Nik  has  collected
over the years.  It became very late that night,  the bottles of
Glenlivet and Plantiac suffering some heavy drainage.  The  next
day  after finally waking up around one in the afternoon we  set
out to Uppsala to visit the Mega Leif party. After about an hour
driving  from Stockholm we got lost in Uppsala and half an  hour
later  I  pulled into the parking lot of the  school  where  the
party  was held.  So I finally got to meet some of the people  I
hadn't seem for some time.  The members of DeltaForce  including
their  'mascot',  the female member who's name  has  temporarily
escaped   the  confinements  of  my  brain.   A  charming   girl
nonetheless.   Also,   I  met  my  good  old  nutty  pals,   the
Norwegians!!  Lord  Hackbear and Karl Anders were there  and  so
was.....Gard!  Gard the Insane Antibeing,  Gard the Mutant  Mini
Monster, Gard the Tiny One.

 Well, maybe not so tiny anymore.

 Two years ago we had loads of fun with our friend Gard when  we
were in Norway, he was a rather tiny nutty that we would be able
to  bash,  pack and fold.  Now he has changed into a  metalhead,
with  long hair and a moustache and typical clothes.  I  had  to
admit when I first walked into the room, I did not recognize him
immediately.  But he is still as insane as ever and it was  good
to see him again.  He promptly produced a video camera to  shoot
some  footage  of me walking around the  party.  I  greeted  the
people of Elektra and went on a search of all the rooms to  find
people I knew.  Boy,  I have never seen so many unknown faces on
an ST meeting before.  Lots of Swedish crews,  some with  pretty
interesting material.  After a few hours we decided to head back
for Stockholm, we had to return the next day (Sunday) anyways to
be in the jury for the competitions.  On the way back in the car
my  cousin,  who doesn't know anything about computers  and  has
nothing to do with them,  remarked that he had never seen such a
strange  thing before.  He said he felt like he had ended up  in
the  middle of 'Revenge of the Nerds II'.  Well,  I don't  blame
him,  it  must be a strange experience if you have no idea  what
the computer scene is like.

 So we returned the next day,  and immediately had to go to this
room to judge the music competitions. I heard many mods, some of
them appalingly bad,  some of them quite good.  One of them with
some  nice heavy guitars in it appealed to me.  We selected  the
top five,  and the winners were to be selected later. Niklas got
quickly  bored,  computer  music isn't  something  for  graphics
people so he left the jury.  After the mods we took a break,  to
return later for the blipblop musics.  We selected the music  by
Synergy  to be the winner.  I later found out that Synergy is  a
Dutch group. Way to go!
 After  another  break  we contiued  with  the  graphics.  After
relocating all the members of the jury including Niklas (I think
the  jury consisted of:  Tyrem and Duke from  the  Respectables,
Daryl  from  TEX,  Achim Hierstetter  from  TOS  magazine,  some
Elektra members, Tanis from TCB and myself) we had a look at the
pictures that had been submitted for the graphics competition.
 Again,  good  and  bad stuff was showed to us  and  we  finally
selected  the  winning picture to be the one  by  Agression,  an
interlaced piccy of a red dragon.  It just looked the best. Then
on to the big one,  the demo competition.  Now not everybody was
finished,  so we decided to wait an hour so give them some  more
time.  I  was  a bit annoyed by this since we wanted  to  go  to
Niklas'  parents house somewhere in the woods between  Stockholm
and Uppsala.  Also,  it already had taken some three hours and I
was getting a bit worried about my cousin.  I mean the poor  guy
must have been bored sick.

 Anyway,  finally,  after  one and a half hours we got  together
again  to watch the demos.  Some of it was pretty clever  stuff,
there  were some 3D screens that were  particularly  impressive.
Large,  complex  shapes in 1 VBL and stuff like that.  Not  very
original, but technically impressive nonetheless. So after quite
some  deliberation and viewing and re-viewing demos  we  finally
decided Omega's entry to be the best.  They had some very  nifty
3D and it was rather impressive.  Immediately after the decision
was  made,  I gathered Niklas and my cousin and we were off  for
the woods.  Too bad about the ceremony where the prizes would be
handed out, but it had already taken too much time. So we headed
back  for Stockholm but at a certain point Nik instructed me  to
take  and  exit  and  we got on this  road  that  was  extremely
straight and extremely long.
 We entered forest land, and about 45 minutes later we left this
road  and entered an even smaller one that wound itself  through
the forest like a snake in a death-struggle. It was getting dark
already and I had to drive carefully,  the road was very  narrow
and  I  had  to  be careful with  cars  coming  from  the  other
direction.  Because  of  the many hills and sharp turns  in  the
road, it was hard to see them coming. It was fun driving though,
I  had  to suppress the urge to put my foot down  and  test  the
abilities of my Alfa to stick to the road. After a while on this
road  we got on an even smaller one.  It wasn't a  road  really,
more of a dirt-track full of potholes and puddles.  My poor  car
was getting some punishment now, but luckily it didn't last long
and  we  entered  a  clearing  where I  brought  the  car  to  a
standstill and beheld the 'little house in the woods' as  Niklas
used to call it.
 A  full-blown house made out of wood,  with soft  light  coming
from the draped windows and an inviting porch was there,  and as
we entered we were greeted by Niklas' mum and a fireplace with a
nice  fire burning.  I walked around the place in  awe.  It  had
everything.  Kitchen,  three  bedrooms,  large living room  with
fireplace,  another  room  with  some sofas  and  a  television,
bathroom,  the works. This was a dream, a place in the middle of
the woods with everything you need.  A place for writers to seek
refuge,  for  loving couples to get away from prying  eyes,  for
city dwellers to escape the madness, a place everybody wants and
needs.  Niklas' mum went to the kitchen to prepare us some food,
and we went out for a short walk through the forest while it was
still  light enough to do so.  I felt great walking around  this
amazing forest,  enormous trees,  large boulders overgrown  with
moss.  Now there was no path or something so we had to  scramble
over fallen trees and the rocks,  careful not to slip on the wet
ground,  covered  in melting snow.  Before we knew  it,  it  was
totally dark and we had to rely on our sense of direction to get
us  back to the house.  Now I was sure we were heading  directly
towards it,  until Niklas spotted a tiny light somewhere in  the
distance that turned out to be the house.  Good thing he saw it,
we would have been seriously lost otherwise.

 When  we  returned,  we warmed ourselves at the  fireplace  and
found  a kitchen table filled with food.  Roast lamb  with  mint
sauce,  potatoes and raw salmon filet for us to enjoy. And enjoy
we did, eating the last bit of it all.
 After  watching 'Edward Scissorhands' we decided to  head  back
for Stockholm.  It was totally and utterly dark now and since  I
have a black car,  it was actually hard to find it.  And when  I
found  it  and  wanted to drive off,  I got stuck  in  the  soft
ground.  It  was a good thing Niklas' dad and uncle  were  there
also, they managed to push me out of my demise and soon after we
were heading down that dirt track again.  It was better  driving
now,  oncoming cars could easily be spotted now because of their
headlights and I got quite enthusiastic and increased speed. Now
I had to keep my eyes on the road very carefully,  but I am sure
that  Nik  and Odin (my cousin) had some  tense  expressions  on
their faces when I zig-zagged through the night.  It's great fun
driving like that, but you have to be very careful not to end up
in a ditch next to the road if you know what I mean.
 About  an hour later we were back in Stockholm and we  finished
the bottles of Glenlivet and Plantiac before going to  bed.  The
next  day  we didn't do all that much,  it  was  easter  Monday,
everything  was closed and everybody was home sleeping late  and
being  lazy.  So  did  we and the day  passed  without  anything
happening really.  On Tuesday we went into Stockholm again to do
some shopping. I was delighted to find the new Cure CD and since
I was a tourist actually got it for a reasonable price.  We also
went  to this park with lots of old Swedish buildings in  it,  a
kind  of  outdoors  museum.  It was also a  kind  of  zoo,  with
elephants  and  monkeys  and some seals  that  looked  immensely
stupid by sitting on a rock in the water and clapping their paws
agains they bodies.  We spent quite some time in this park, even
if it was totally deserted and they were rebuilding or repairing
half of it.

 Since this was our last night, Mrs Malmqvist decided to make us
some Swedish food.  Herrings with vodka, potatoes and Knackebrod
followed  by  lamb with mashed  potatoes  and  vegetables.  Very
enjoyable  indeed!  Wednesday we got up at six and left at  six-
thirty.  Fourteen hours later I came home and crashed on my bed,
I had to work the next day...
 Two days later I was in London,  but that is a whole  different
story altogether....

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.