Skip to main content

 "I like the future, I'm in it."

                    THE GUATEMALAN ADVENTURE
                       by Stefan Posthuma

 During  a computer conference in San Jose,  California I  met  a
girl  from  Guatemala named Ivette (read all about this  trip  in
ST NEWS  Volume 7 Issue 3,  in the article named "Stef and  Tim's
bogus journey").  We looked deeply into eachother's eyes and that
was it,  romance,  love, all that stuff. The problem was however,
that  Holland  and  Guatemala  are  separated  by  about   11,000
kilometres  of  Atlantic Ocean and we never  expected  things  to
develop  the  way they did.  We did keep  in  touch  though,  and
roughly  five months later,  Friday,  December 18 1992,  I  found
myself  at  Schiphol  airport,  ready to board a  KLM  flight  to
Guatemala city.
 The flight was long, very long. The airco of long flights always
gets to me and sleeping was out of the question so when the plane
landed 12.5 hours later in Mexico city,  I was slightly dead.  It
sat  there for about 45 minutes while roughly 75% of  the  people
left the plane.  One and a half hours after departure from Mexico
city we landed once more,  this time in Guatemala city. I got the
shakes  a  little  now,  she  would be  there,  the  girl  I  had
corresponded with for over five months,  and I was wondering what
it would be like, meeting her again.
 I walked down the corridors of the airport and when I approached
the  customs desk I spotted her standing in the  hall,  far  away
still  but  I  recognized  her  immediately.  Frantic  waves  and
gestures  were exchanged while I was waiting in  line.  I  didn't
quite know what to expect from the Guatemalan customs but when  I
got to the desk, a cheerful girl glanced at my papers and stamped
my passport. No questions, just a big smile.
 So there I was, standing in a Guatemalan airport a few feet away
from the girl that I had longed for for so long. It felt awkward,
I can tell you.  But when we embraced and kissed it all fell away
and from that moment on I felt comfortable, relaxed.
 We picked up my bags and a uniformed guy started babbling to  me
in Spanish.  Ivette babbled back and the guy shrugged and  turned
to  some  other people.  He wanted to check my  bags  but  Ivette
convinced  him of the fact that it wasn't  necessary.  Good,  the
first of the many advantages of having a native at your side in a
country like this became clear to me.
 In  the hall of the airport I was greeted by a bunch of  people.
Andrés,  her eight year old son,  her cousin Sandra,  Ligia,  the
wife  of  another  cousin and  her  two  daughters,  Valeria  and
Marcela.  I had met Valeria before in Gütersloh,  Germany,  where
she had stayed for a while with a family to learn German.
 As  we  left the airport to the car park the warm  summer  night
struck me immediately.  When I left Holland it was cold and  wet,
but  here  it was comfortably warm and it was  a  clear,  starlit
night.  Guatemala city is dense, crowded, chaotic. Beggars coming
up  to  the  car at streetlights,  big  noisy  buses  and  trucks
belching   black  noxious   fumes,   cars   everywhere,   streets
crisscrossing,  and me sitting in a small Honda Civic piloted  by
Ivette,  skilfully navigating through the mayhem.  Things  calmed
down when we entered Ivette's neighbourhood, a nice suburb filled
with palm trees and hills.
 I  was introduced to the family,  Ivette's parents and  brother.
They  were very nice and left us to ourselves in the living  room
all  evening.  I hooked up my personal CD player to their  stereo
and  soon we were sitting on the sofa,  catching up on  all  that
lost  time.  We had a lot to talk about,  until I literally  fell
asleep.  Of course,  jetlag did its thing and the next morning  I
was wide awake again at about six.
 The  next  day  we did some shopping in  the  morning,  the  sun
shining warmly and I marvelled again at the mad traffic, cars and
people  engaged  in some kind of Brownian motion that  seemed  to
work  out in the end since I didn't see any accidents  during  my
three-week stay.  The afternoon we spent at a party at somebody's
summer house in the hills. Quite the place, in the middle of lush
green hills,  sun shining,  BBQ smoking,  music  playing,  wodka-
orange in my hand and Ivette by my side. I was introduced to some
friends  of Ivette's who I got to meet on a regular basis in  the
coming times,  Thelma and Fernando. Both colleagues from Ivette's
work at Sisteco, the Guatemalan Informix distributor.
 That  evening  we went to a small bar called The  Optimist  with
some  people.  Ivette  and I already were a bit giggly  from  the
wodkas  at  the party in the afternoon so we were having  a  good
time.  Her  friends were babbling in Spanish and my  attempts  to
contribute to the conversation were greeted with much  enthusiasm
and  amusement.  Ivette  made  sure  however  that  I  understood
everything.  Sandra's husband, Vladimir, is a big guy (my height,
which  is very big for Guatemalan standards) and  very  friendly.
That night when we came back to the house I felt great,  it  felt
almost like a dream...

 On Sunday morning we were picked up by Eduardo and Ligia to have
breakfast  somewhere  in  the  city.   Eggs  Mexican  style  with
tortillas  and bread.  So far,  the food in Guatemala pleased  me
enormously.  Frijoles (black beans) with cream,  tortillas, fresh
fruit,  chilis  (HOT!)  in  all kinds of  shapes  and  sizes  and
plenty of chicken and beef. Great stuff.
 In  the  afternoon we went with Sandra and Vladimir to  a  place
called  Antigua.  This is the old capital of Guatemala which  was
abandoned after massive earthquakes in the late 1700's. Very old,
very impressive with massive buildings, churches, convents. Small
cobblestone  streets and lots of little shops and places  to  eat
and drink. I encountered the first tourists, but on a comfortably
small scale.  I took some great pictures there, the sunset behind
the massive volcano with the old buildings in front of it  looked
rather  splendid.  Since the government enforces strict  building
and restauration rules,  Antigua still looks like the old days, a
kind  of  giant outdoor museum.  The place is  also  packed  with
Spanish  schools,  you live with a family for a while that  gives
you an intense Spanish training.
 The evening we spent at Eduardo's house,  and it became clear to
me that the family ties in Guatemala are slightly different  from
the  ones over here.  Eduardo is Ivette's cousin but they are  as
close as brother and sister and Ivette is very fond of  Eduardo's
two daughters, Marcela and Valeria. Andrés was there too, and his
English  is  of such a high level that I could talk  freely  with
him, quite remarkable for an eight year old kid.

 Monday  morning  very early we went to the airport  to  catch  a
plane to Florés,  a small town in the middle of the Petén, a vast
jungle  area  in the north of Guatemala.  Close  to  Florés  lies
Tikal,  an  ancient  site of Maya culture.  Massive  temples  and
historic  buildings in the middle of the jungle.  The landing  of
the  airplane  was  aborted at the last possible  moment  due  to
massive  fog and we circled around for a while,  waiting for  the
place to clear up a little.  That day we spent travelling  around
the area in a small van,  on roads that were of such quality that
the  ride  was kindof bone-smashing.  We took a small boat  on  a
lake, and we visited some places at the shores, a small zoo, some
caves  and a restaurant in the afternoon where we had  the  usual
chicken with rice and tortillas.  The beer in Guatemala is called
Gallo  and  is of very good quality,  resulting in  me  consuming
large amounts of the stuff.  It was hot and damp out there,  so I
needed lots of it!
 At the end of the afternoon we arrived at our hotel called Villa
Maya. The rooms were situated in small bungalows scattered around
the lake shore. From the balcony you could watch the lake and the
jungle - pretty impressive stuff.  The hotel was surrounded by  a
small  park  inhabited by large and  superbly  coloured  parrots,
which  were  making a lot of noise.  We had a swim in  the  hotel
pool,  a nice dinner and an even nicer evening strolling  through
the  park,  having a rather strange conversation with a  somewhat
nervous  parrot  and sitting on the balcony in  the  warm  summer
night  air,  drinking a bottle of wine.  Things were working  out
great  between  Ivette  and me,  I felt like I had  ended  up  in
 Early in the next morning I found myself sitting on the  balcony
of  the hotel,  watching the lake and the jungle beyond.  It  had
rained  a  bit that night and the jungle was steaming  under  the
morning sun.  Large clouds of vapour were rising up from the vast
green expanse,  large birds circling above it, using the warm air
to carry them along.
 That  day we went with a bus into the jungle to Tikal.  We  took
some incredible roads that winded themselves deep into the  dense
jungles leading to the Maya temples.  The climbed the first  one,
giving us an incredible view over the jungle, a vast sea of green
treetops,  with  the other great temple protruding through it  in
the distance.  A holler monkey was making some bizarre sounds and
I felt rather strange standing on a centuries old building in the
middle of a jungle with the sun beating down on me while back  in
flat and wet Holland it would probably have been about 3 degrees.
It was a great day - we saw a lot of the temples,  the  highlight
being  an old city centre with massive buildings,  stairways  and
little passages.  The Maya culture must have been unbelievable in
the old days.
 In  the evening we went back,  and the DC-9 we were supposed  to
take was full.  So we got into an antique twin-prop machine  that
we quickly called 'The flying bus'.  Kindof funny,  the people in
the  seat  next to us had a live chicken with them and we  got  a
coke with a cookie.  I wrote some postcards there,  the deafening
sound  of the engines making decent conversation  impossible.  At
the airport we were picked up by Ivette's father and we spent the
evening  lying  in bed,  talking about the times we had  and  the
times we were still going to have...
 The  23rd,  the  day before Christmas,  we  spent  shopping  for
various  presents.   Together  with  Sandra  we  visited  various
shopping malls in search of nice stuff to give to everybody. Most
of the big shopping malls in the newer parts of the city are very
American-oriented.  Big  luxurious shops,  food plazas ringed  by
fast food stores and lots of shoppers around.  The shopping spree
took almost all day and when we finally came home we crashed  for
a while because it was party time that evening. Ivette's birthday
was  the 24th and we went out with Sandra and Vladimir to a  club
in  the city.  Lots of dancing and of course happy  birthday  for
Ivette at twelve.
 Ivette's  birthday  was manic.  It started  with  the  customary
firecrackers at seven in the morning at the doorstep. Guatemalans
are  very  fond  of  firecrackers,   they  crack  fire  at  every
occasion.  The  first people arrived around eight in the  morning
and the last left around ten in the evening.  Never before have I
seen  so many people come and go in the same house.  Of course  I
enjoyed  myself having nice drinks and chatting  with  everybody.
Almost  all  of Ivette's friends speak good English so  I  didn't
have many problems communicating.
 Christmas  in  Guatemala  is like any  other  Christmas  really.
Presents under the tree, turkey dinner and lots, lots of food and
drink.  Nothing  I  couldn't  handle and people  loved  the  many
Dutch gifts I had brought with me. It also was my first Christmas
where  I could wear just a T-shirt and sit outside in the  sun  a
bit.  Quite special for a Dutch bloke.  Again,  firecrackers were
employed by the masses.  At noon,  at six o'clock in the  evening
and at midnight.  Good fun really,  here in Holland they are much
too  strict.  Fireworks only allowed from midnight to two in  the
morning on the 1st. Hmm...
 The  next day we visited Ivette's grandpa,  who lives in an  old
colonial-style house.  Very exotic-looking, with an open court in
the middle and all the rooms built around it. Great place where I
found  many  embarrassing photos of Ivette in her  younger  days.
Great fun.
 Ivette's son Andrés celebrated his birthday on the 26th,  and it
was basically a repeat of the 24th on a slightly smaller scale. A
single  candle  was rammed unceremoniously into the centre  of  a
cake  and  the flashlights popped as Andrés blew  out  the  small
flame.  Birthdays,  Christmas, I was stuffing myself with goodies
like I never stuffed myself before. Yapdiddledoo...
 That  night we went to Antigua again,  this time to  the  summer
house of Sandra's parents.  A small villa set in the hills with a
large   garden   complete   with   palmtrees,    coffee    plants
and...hammocks.  Believe  it  or not,  but I had  never  had  the
extreme  pleasure of lowering myself into a hammock before and  I
felt rather comfortable,  lying there in that hammock overlooking
the garden, the mountains in the background...
 After dinner Sandra's father presented me with a small red chili
which was supposed to be hot.  Up to that moment I always bravely
consumed chilis presented to me and actually enjoyed  them.  This
one however,  was too much for me. I bit off the smallest piece I
could  manage  and  after a few seconds the  fire  spread  itself
through my mouth and tears started rolling down my face,  much to
the  amusement of the people  present.  Coke,  Sprite,  icecubes,
whiskey,  I grasped anything cold and liquid to try to reduce the
inferno that was raging through my system.  After I recovered,  I
respectfully  packed the little red fusion reactors in a  plastic
bag to take back home, to freak some people out.
 We  spent the night there and the next morning we were en  route
to Lake Atitlan,  the lake I had heard so much about.  Well,  the
stories and rumours weren't overdone.  It's a lake surrounded  by
seven volcanoes, and when we took the last turn down the mountain
and were presented with the view of the lake,  I had to swallow a
few times.  I grasped for my camera and at the first viewpoint  I
jumped  out  of the car and started taking  pictures.  It  wasn't
completely  clear that day,  and the clouds leaning  against  the
volcanoes  created a kind of sinister atmosphere,  casting  weird
shadows on the lake. It was very impressive, and I understood why
people had been so enthusiastic about it.
 We arrived at the village of Panajachel,  set on the lake  shore
and filled with craft stores, restaurants and gift shops. I found
some great handwoven shirts and other souvenirs. We hired a small
boat  and floated around the lake a bit,  allowing nice views  of
the shores and the ever-present bulks of the looming volcanoes.
 Normally  I am not too fond of seafood but here I said what  the
hell and dug into a couple of small fish caught in the lake. Very
nice  really,  with the mandatory tortillas and the  Gallo  beer.
Yessir, I do like Guatemalan food.
 On  Monday Ivette had to go to her office to take care  of  some
business  and I came along,  curious as to where she  worked.  It
turned out to be a very big and modern office building, the likes
of  which  you find in any high-tech business area in  the  city.
Quite an impressive place.  We didn't do much else that day, some
shopping  in a massive supermarket for our five-day trip  to  the
Atlantic coast where we were to spend New Year's eve.
 Tuesday afternoon Sandra and Vladimir came to pick us up for the
trip.  They  had  one of these small vans and we loaded  all  our
stuff,  food, iceboxes filled with beer, orange juice and rum. We
took  a small,  winding road up north.  The  landscape  gradually
changed  from  soft,  green hills to large mountains  covered  in
dense  jungle.  It was a five hour trip during which I gazed  out
the  windows  almost constantly,  admiring the  great  Guatemalan
landscape.  As evening fell,  the sunset behind the mountains was
spectacular.  The  only  problem was that driving  became  pretty
intense  at  night,  the roads are not lit and there is  lots  of
heavy traffic like big trucks and buses.
 Around seven we arrived at Puerto Barrios, a harbour town at the
Gulf of Honduras, at the southern end of the Carribean Sea. There
we  parked  the car and loaded all our stuff into  a  small  boat
which took us to our final destination, Livingston. It took about
half an hour following the coast.  Livingston is a small  village
set on the shore of the Carribean, only reachable by boat. It has
a  mixture of Guatemalan and Carribean culture,  meaning lots  of
reggae,  rum,  palmtrees  and other seriously exotic  stuff.  Our
hotel was fantastic,  a place called the Tucan Dugu.  Set on  the
shore,  overlooking the bay amidst giant palmtrees it was  rather
splendid.  The  rooms were big with a small garden and  the  pool
looked  very  inviting.  The others  had  already  arrived,  some
friends of Ivette's,  Carol & Mémé and Roberta & Pompeyo.  We had
three  rooms in a row and Sandra & Vladimir had a small  room  at
the end of a boardwalk,  just under our rooms. The night we spent
in our rooms,  having some drinks and a lot of laughs.  Five days
in this place, this was getting better all the time...
 On Wednesday,  December 30 1990, we would embark on an adventure
the likes of which I will not easily forget.  About two hours  by
boat  away  from Livingston in Belize (a small  country  next  to
Guatemala,  previously British Honduras) territory are a  cluster
of small islands at the south end of the barrier reefs called Los
Callos.  Small and ultimately exotic islands with white  beaches,
superblue water and palmtrees all over the place.
 So we all got into a small boat,  about 12 metres long with  two
outboard engines,  managed by two capitanos.  The sea was calm at
first, but when we left the bay it started to get a bit windy and
the sea was getting quite rough.  Since the boat was rather light
and small, it was getting kicked around by the waves pretty badly
and every time we would go over a wave,  the boat would slam back
onto the water with bonecrushing force.  We were seated on  small
wooden benches that weren't built for this kind of onslaught  and
soon our behinds felt like slabs of concrete, and we were getting
very sore all over.
 But  it was bearable,  the nice sunshine and the whole  idea  of
being  in  a  small  boat on the Carribean  Sea  made  it  pretty
exciting.  The  Callos came into view about two hours  later  and
when the ocean became more shallow,  the colour changed from deep
blue  into  that  kind  of light azure blue  you  always  see  on
postcards  and  Bounty advertisements.  I also noticed  that  the
water was actually warm.
 The islands were amazing, like I had expected, really. The beach
was white,  the palmtrees were present in extremely large numbers
and  there were coconuts all over the place.  The shallow  waters
around the beaches were inhabited by dozens of small fish,  crabs
and  those enormous shells you can put to your ear and listen  to
intensely,  hearing the rush of your own blood through your ears.
We  shored  on one and unloaded the boat.  Soon we  were  set  up
nicely, towel spread on the beach, nice cold beer from the icebox
and the sun warming us very comfortably. We went for walks on the
beach,  lazy swims in the calm,  warm water and generally had the
kind of time you have on small,  exotic islands in the Carribean.
Sometimes when I opened another beer I thought of the people back
home  jamming up their heaters and scratching the ice  off  their
cars in the morning. Ah well...
 In  the  afternoon some clouds started rolling in  and  the  two
capitanos  began  watching the heavens with  troubled  faces.  It
turned out that a minor storm was coming and we had to spend  the
night  on the island.  The seas would be too rough for the  boat.
So  we  were  stuck  on a tiny  island,  with  no  facilities  or
whatsoever.  Luckily,  there  were some  half-finished  bungalows
around for a (supposedly) abandoned resort project.  One of  them
had  some slabs of foam in it and we dragged our stuff to it  and
set up some kind of camp.  A trip around the island brought us to
the only inhabitants, two women and a small boy living in huts at
the other side.  They kindly provided us with a few small roasted
fish  and  some more foam and a couple of sheets.  We  found  the
carcass of an old barbeque and managed to make a small fire using
some of the wood lying around the place.  So we sat out there  on
the porch of the bungalow having the last of our drinks from  the
iceboxes while the warm rain was falling outside.  Something that
only  happens  once  in a lifetime,  especially  if  you're  from
 Later  it  cleared up a bit and we ventured out onto  the  beach
where we built a small campfire.  Lying there, in the sand by the
warm  glow  of  the  fire with the murmur of  the  ocean  in  the
background  and a startlit night up above I looked at Ivette  and
realized what a lucky bastard I really was...
 Around  eight  it became seriously dark and since we  wanted  to
leave  as early as possible the next morning we went back to  the
bungalow to try to get some sleep.  Now outside it was dark,  but
inside the bungalow it was absolutely pitch black.  So we had  to
move around on touch,  relying on the mental map of the place you
made  before.  I actually slept pretty well,  unlike some of  the
others who didn't get much sleep. Around three I ventured outside
for  a  pee and was presented with a starlit night the  likes  of
which  I  hadn't seen since that night in the desert  of  Arizona
some  six months ago.  I considered waking up Ivette to enjoy  it
together but I decided to let her sleep.  Around five thirty  the
first light started seeping through the windows and half an  hour
later I was actually able to distinguish the shapes of the others
lying around the place.  At six, we were all up and about an hour
later we were in the boat, ready to go back to Livingston. It was
the last day of 1992.
 Unfortunately,  it  was still very windy and the sea was  rough.
Too rough for our small boat and soon we were all sitting  there,
cold by the continuous water splashing over the boat,  covered in
salt  and  very worried.  This was the only  moment  during  this
holiday  that I felt totally uncomfortable.  We were on  a  small
boat,  in the middle of the ocean, no land in sight, the boat was
not equipped or anything and the sea was way too rough. Great. It
was like a ride in a rollercoaster designed by a madman. When the
first  of  the  keys  of the bay came in  sight  I  was  slightly
relieved  and  the sea actually calmed down a little but  it  was
still quite unnerving.  We did spot a dolphin however and as time
passed I realized that we wouldn't go down after all and  relaxed
a little.  Since the boat couldn't travel fast the hours crept by
and after about three and a half hours we entered the  bay.  Here
the  fun  started anew,  the wind had turned and the  waves  were
coming  sideways this time,  causing the boat to sway very  much,
and  sometimes  it was only a matter of inches or we  would  have
tipped over.  Then, after about four and a half hours of madness,
the  capitanos announced that we were running out  of  fuel.  The
coast  was  already  in  sight  but  still  too  far  away.   How
convienent,  running  out of bloody fuel at a moment  like  this.
Fortunately,  there  was  a  large boat a few miles  away  so  we
decided to head to it.
 It  turned out to be a small destroyer of the  Guatemalan  navy.
They  agreed to take us on board and tow our boat to  Livingston.
So  we climbed the small ladder swung over the side of  the  ship
and moments later I found myself sitting below  deck,  shivering,
cold,  salty,  but  very,  very relieved.  Everybody was  hungry,
thirsty,  dying to go to the loo and very, very sore. Yet we made
it and the whole ordeal was almost over.
 When it finally was my turn to go to the toilet (ladies first of
course) and I stumbled into the small space (the ship was swaying
pretty badly) it happened. I was standing there, trying to have a
pee  in  a ship on rough sea,  quite an achievement  and  when  I
looked right I saw tulips.  It took me a while to get used to the
idea, tulips in a place like this. I looked right again and there
were  some soft sloping banks of a small brook covered  in  grass
and flowers.
 I stared at my shoes for a while,  convinced my mind had finally
surrendered   to  exposure  and  hardship  and  had  started   to
hallucinate.  Visions of home,  Holland. A blissfull smile formed
on my face and I looked over my shoulder again.  This time I  saw
some swans on the brook and a nice windmill in the background. It
wasn't  until I saw 'Diciembre' printed over this  idyllic  scene
and  lots of numbers under it that I realized I was staring at  a
'Holland'  calendar.  So I was on a boat of the Guatemalan  navy,
floating on the Carribean and there was a Holland calendar in the
toilet.  I shook my head, hitched up my shorts and returned to my
seat, slightly dumbfounded.
 About  an hour later we were back in our hotel  room.  We  spent
an  hour in the shower,  an hour in the hotel restaurant and  the
next  couple of hours sleeping,  grateful for such nice  smelling
soap and soft sheets. We made it, and promised ourselves we would
get suitably blasted that evening, New Year's eve!
 When  everybody  had recovered we went out  into  Livingston.  A
small,  crowded village in a sort of carnival  atmosphere.  Small
shooting galleries,  little stalls where they sold fried bananas,
small liquor stores, souvenir stores and lots and lots of people.
It  was  New  Year's  Eve of course.  We  ended  up  in  a  small
restaurant  that advertised fresh lobster.  I ordered  some  fish
because  I wasn't sure about eating something that was served  on
your plate complete with scaly legs, pinchers and eyes on stilts.
I  nicked  some  from Ivette though and I have to  admit  it  was
pretty  good.  These  lobsters were immense,  and  once  more  we
stuffed ourselves.
 There was a party in the hotel bar that night and we decided  to
go  there.  There was a band playing salsa music and of course  I
had to try it. I was dragged to the dancefloor by Ivette and soon
I  was  busy  with  my best  approximation  of  the  salsa  which
basically consists of holding each other as close as possible and
squirming  over the dancefloor.  Interesting,  and the more  Cuba
Libres  I drank,  the more I enjoyed it!  Pompeyo had some  small
crackers  he  scattered  over the dancefloor  so  the  dance  was
accompanied by the odd small explosion under someone's shoe, much
to our amusement.
 Midnight  came sooner than I expected and there were  the  usual
firecrackers and New Years's kisses.  After that we continued our
dancing and I don't really know what time we went to bed.  Again,
a  New  Year's eve I am not likely to forget  easily,  and  later
Ivette and I decided that if I ever ended up living in Guatemala,
we would go here every year.
 The first day of 1993 we spent being lazy in the hotel. Sleeping
late,  hanging  out by the pool in deckchairs drinking cold  beer
and Bloody Maries.  Great for the suntan and while dozing in that
deckchair I couldn't help but thinking about the people back home
again.  Later I heard that around that time it was freezing about
-10 degrees Celcius in Holland. Some things just ain't fair...

 On Saturday,  January 2nd, we boarded another boat. Very similar
to  the  one we spent some frightened hours in but this  time  it
would be an easy ride along the coast and down a river that winds
itself south into the jungle,  Rio Dulce.  Mere minutes after  we
entered the river, the banks started rising and after a while, we
were surrounded by steep walls of jungle, rising hundreds of feet
into the air.  A very,  very impressive sight, and I spotted many
wild birds like big parrots and tucans in the foliage.  Later  on
we emerged from the gorge and the river banks would be  cluttered
with   small   huts  and  other   primitive   buildings,   giving
opportunities for some great photographs.
 We shored at a small museum where they had a collection of local
animals, poisonous snakes, massive spiders, tons of small mammals
and monkeys.  There was one tame monkey running around the  place
and it seemed to take a particular interest in Mémé, the poor lad
just  couldn't get rid of the little agile creature  clinging  to
him.  After he got rid of it,  it turned its attention to me, and
before I knew it, the beast was all over me. Arms, legs, tail, it
was driving me mad.  I never guessed I would be walking around  a
jungle  with  a small monkey clinging to my  leg.  Later  on  the
monkey calmed down and Vladimir took it while we walked around  a
small  path  through the jungle that led us  to  several  special
trees and other interesting flora.  I saw  'parasol-ants',  those
red  ants that carry small pieces of leaf they hold  above  their
heads like parasols. They use them for compost to grow fungi they
eat. I saw them on TV before, but never for real.
 Further  down  the  river,  across a lake was  a  small  castle,
Castillo  de San Felipe.  Built by the Spaniards to  control  the
traffic  down the river and destroyed and rebuilt many  times  by
all kinds of invaders including of course my proud ancestors, the
Dutch pirates. We stalked around it for a while until it was time
to return to the boat, back to Livingston.
 On  Sunday we returned to Puerto Barrios and from there on  back
to Guatemala City. Another long ride, but Ivette and I could just
make ourselves comfortable on the back seat so it wasn't too bad.
At night we went to one of Guatemala City's many  steakhouses,  a
big  place with even bigger steaks for prices you won't  believe.
Six  of us stuffed ourselves on huge,  juicy steaks with  salads,
baked  potatoes,  corn on the cob,  garlic bread,  tortillas  and
drinks for about 75 guilders, 25 pounds. That's barely enough for
two down here in Holland and the steaks aren't half as good. As I
said before, some things just aren't fair!
 The  last week of my stay was very modest compared to the  first
two.  Ivette  had to work,  and I would come along to her  office
sometimes.  There I realized that professionally,  there would be
opportunities  for me and all kinds of wild ideas  were  drifting
into my mind. I spent a lot of time being lazy, watching TV (they
have  American  cable over there,  about 30 channels of  it)  and
playing  Nintendo  with Andrés.  Wednesday morning we went  to  a
crafts market where I stockpiled some souvenirs.  Clothes,  small
woven rugs,  huge towels with amazing prints on them and lots  of
other stuff for amazing prices.  Again, Ivette managed to cut the
prizes considerably by a few moments of Spanish babbling. By that
time  my Spanish had improved quite a lot but when  people  start
speaking  really  quickly,   it  all  merges  into  a  stream  of
incomprehensible sounds. Ah well, one day I'll pick it up.
 We  went to see "Dracula" that evening,  Francis Ford  Coppola's
interpretation  of  the  original  Bram  Stoker  book.   Visually
brilliant  stuff.  The  costumes,  sets and special  effects  are
completely  overwhelming  and  after two and  a  half  hours  you
stumble out of the cinema,  kindof dazed.  Opinions varied  about
the quality of the story and the film as a whole though,  but  to
me, fan of Gothic stuff and vampires in general, it was amazing.
 Friday,  the day of my departure was approaching without remorse
and we had to see many, many people before I left. Everybody kept
inviting us to lunches, dinners, visits, and other social events.
It  was  great,  these people really know how to  make  you  feel
welcome  in a place.  I regretted having to say goodbye to  great
people  like Sandra and Vladimir,  Eduardo and Ligia and  all  of
Ivette's friends.  But the three weeks were over and it was  time
for me to return to Holland.
 Goodbye in the airport was very,  very hard.  Lots of things had
happened between Ivette and myself, and we realized that what was
going on between us was pretty serious.  Serious enough to repeat
the  experience soon,  and this time she would come  to  Holland,
preferably in April around easter, my birthday.
 I've  been home for two weeks now and I have kindof gotten  used
to this place again.  No cheerful sunshine early in the  morning,
no  tortillas with my dinner,  but most of all,  no  Ivette.  But
she's  coming  over  in April for three weeks so  that  gives  me
something to look forward to.  And after that? Don't be surprised
if  a certain editor decides he wants to live in Guatemala for  a
(long) while! 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.