Skip to main content

 "Anybody  who's  seeing a psychotherapist should have  his  head
                                     Sharon, "Birds of a Feather"

                      by Richard Karsmakers
     (With a rather forlorn left-about bit by Lucifer Eksod)
  (I bet that's what the world has been holding its breath for)

Metallica - December 7th 1992, Brabanthallen, Den Bosch

 Those of you fortunate (ahem) enough to have been able to glance
through the previous issue of ST NEWS (Volume 7 Issue 3 that  is)
will know that I saw Metallica perform during their November  7th
concert at Rotterdam's Ahoy Sports Palace. Those of you will also
know  that  I had my reservations about the overall  joy  of  the
experience,  what with me not located in the arena and having  to
satisfy myself merely with sitting,  the occasional bobbing of my
head  and the craning of my neck.  Although Metallica were  their
usual awesome self,  sound quality was putrifyingly bad (at least
where I was sitting) and not loud enough either.
 Not so on December 7th. An entirely different location where you
could only have arena tickets - i.e. one can attempt to get right
up  front  and  flip out utterly in the middle  of  thousands  of
sweating, headbanging metallunatics.
 And bruise a rib or two, of course.

 I had managed to get two tickets.  Lucifer Eksod (a.k.a. Martijn
Wiedijk) was the lucky man that popper in my mind first,  and  in
the end we went with Roeland as well, who has also managed to get
his eager hands on a ticket through alternative channels.
 Let  me now use a bit of text that Martijn had written the  next
day and left stranded on my hard disk without actually  bothering
to do anything with it that even slightly resembled 'finishing'.

 "Last minute check:

 Concert ticket    -      check!
 Money             -      check!
 OV-jaarkaart      -      check!
 Pictures          -      check!

 OK,  seemed like everything was ready.  First I had to absorb  a
peanutbutter sandwich and two cups of coffee.  Ah, great. Roeland
arrived  on short time's notice,  too.  He checked everything  as
well.  Seemed to be all in ordnung. The journey to Richard's mug-
hole in Utrecht could start. Off we went. We needed not bring any
sleeping bags or pillows 'coz Richard would provide them all. The
train  was  comfortable  and  the  people  were  friendly.  Found
Richard's house again.  Rung the doorbell.  Grunted 'n shouted  a

 Right.  We  went  to the railway station soon  after  the  chaps
arrived.  They  had  dumped  their bags and  put  on  comfortable
clothing.  I had quite a cold and I seemed to have run into a bit
of a fever. I could barely speak but I was not going to miss this
concert - not for anything in the world.
 The concert was utterly great. There isn't much to be said about
it other than that. I sweated like to proverbial moat filled with
bloated pigs,  I nearly lost consciousness two or three times,  I
cried  my voice to shrapnel and banged my head until my  neck  no
longer  bothered to send signals of pain.  After three  hours  of
playing  (including  "Motorbreath"  that they  hadn't  played  in
Rotterdam) Lars came back for the final time. After the second or
third  encore Metallica always tends to come back and absorb  the
audience's attention.  He said this had been the best gig in  the
tour so far,  a fact that I was tempted to believe as I had heard
several  other (bootlegged) concerts off their tour and they  had
never  yet said a thing like that.  He also  mentioned  Metallica
being  back  in  Holland  to play in  the  Feyenoord  Stadium  in
Rotterdam  in  June 1993 (which I won't  attend,  for  I've  seen
Metallica twice on this tour already,  not including Monsters  of
Rock 1990,  and I've been having to buy whoppin' eight CD singles
off their "Metallica" CD already).
 The  way  home was long.  Or at least it took an  absurdly  long
time.  We  arrived  at Den Bosch station in time  for  the  23:33
intercity. It left late, of course, but that wasn't actually that
bad.  What was bad was the fact that,  barely a mile outside  Den
Bosch  station,  the emergency brake got pulled.  After  half  an
hour's  wait we left again,  only for some headbanging retard  to
pull  the  emergency brake again.  This caused  the  train,  once
operative again,  to be driven back to Den Bosch. It didn't leave
until about 3:00 AM when there was sufficient Railroad Police  to
assure something like that not happening again.
 I  really  hate those  stupid  hey-bet-I-would-dare-to-act-macho
retards.  I'd like to kick their fucking face,  to put it plainly
(excuse my French).

Whistler  Courbois Whistler - February 7th 1993,  De Nieuwe  Pul,

 I had not seen this band for over half a year when I got to  "De
Nieuwe  Pul",  a  cafĂ© with built-in concert  location  in  Uden.
Stefan was with me, and so was Miranda - she had never quite seen
them  from this close before and certainly not playing  live  for
more than half an hour of so.
 It  was an afternoon concert,  which probably accounted for  the
fact that the amount of people that had turned up was somewhat of
a disappointment.  There were about 75 people when, at 16:30, the
concert started.  Half of them were the sort of small town people
that  hang around places like these to see if something is  going
down.   Clearly,  Whistler  Courbois  Whistler  needs  a  lot  of
additional name reputation which they still don't seem to have. I
am  convinced that they can sell as much records and play for  as
big a concert hall as,  say,  Joe Satriani if only someone  would
invest the money necessary for some decent advertising.
 The  thing  with  a  totally not-sold-out  venue  is  that  it's
difficult (at least for me) to flip out.  It's totally impossible
to emerge yourself into anonimity,  play air guitar and bang your
head  along  with the rest of the raging crowd.  There  might  be
plenty of air to play guitar in,  but you'd be the only one doing
it.  Other people's heads just bob gently up and down in the  way
parents might bob it to Neil Diamond.  The atmosphere is killing.
No number of beers can change that.
 It's  such  a  shame,  really,  because they  are  such  a  damn
impressive bunch of musicians! Cyril Whistler plays the guitar as
if he's one with the instrument,  Barend Courbois does things  to
his bass guitar that might indeed make Stuart Hamm go drool,  and
the  whole thing is backed up by a rock-solid Jusso  Whistler.  I
still  think  they're the best European  instrumental  band,  and
they're just getting better and better.
 They  played  most  songs from  their  latest  CD,  "Privilege".
Although  the  songs  lose a bit when played  live  (no  acoustic
guitar,  limited  use of samples and no flute/sitar),  they  gain
tremendous  vitality  and  momentum.   "Compendium  Maleficarum",
"Co.Br.A.",  "Privilege", "Commitments", "Refuge in the Sea", "No
Lyrics  Allowed",  "Desert Storm",  "Prayers in the  Garden"  and
"Reltsih. W. Rhapsody" off their latest CD and "Fata Morgana" and
"Joey" off their debut passed our eardrums before they closed off
the  concert  with  "Bangkok"  (a bass solo  and  drum  solo  had
occurred  as well).  They came back once to play "Hurry  for  the
Curry" (even though the crowd was so numb it barely whistled  and
we-want-more-ed).  Playing  for this audience must have  been  an
unthankful  job  for them,  but it  was  impressive  nonetheless.
Barend's bass solo has improved over the last year - I just stood
there, gazing, awestruck, ultimately impressed.
 The  problem with Whistler Courbois Whistler is that  they  only
play  for 75 minutes even though the 'best of' taken  from  their
songs take up a lot more than that time.  The concert would  have
been even more perfect if they would also have played "How Can  I
Call  You  My  Friend",  "Vilambit Gat" and one  of  my  personal
favourites, "Elephants".
 After  the  concert we bought some merchandise (to wear  at  the
forthcoming Satriani concert!) and I got my "Privilege" CD  cover
and tourbook signed. We then went to Stefan's place to watch some
TV  and  stuff ourselves with showarma (at least  sortof)  before
going home.

Joe Satriani - February 11th 1993, Vredenburg, Utrecht

 For  me this concert experience already started the day  before.
At 15:00 I went to Vredenburg to generally hang around and see if
there  was a possibility of me catching a glimpse of  Satch  when
arriving at the scene for the additional appearance at Vredenburg
that was scheduled for February 10th. Of course it was quite cold
and of course the man didn't turn up until 17:10.  Together  with
half a dozen other fans that had the same goal as me,  we  rushed
after the man and caught him just before actually entering. I got
him  to sign some CD covers and that sort of  thing.  Joe  didn't
have much time.  The entire encounter with me and the other  fans
probably  didn't take up more than about two  minutes.  The  most
frustrating thing about it was my photo camera. It's one of those
very  'smart'  thingies  that refuses to make a  picture  if  the
object  is  too close.  I had Joe look right in  the  camera  and
smile,  and then the blasted thing told me I was too close. I had
had my chance, the camera had screwed it up. Joe went inside.
 Later,  in the evening, I went back to the same location, hoping
to  be able to ask Joe some questions after he had  finished  the
concert.  He  got out at 23:05,  huddled in a jacket  and  scarf.
There was no chance even to ask him if I could ask him something.
He  was  off  in  the bus,  and off  it  went  to  the  Amsterdam
"American"  hotel.  That was a bit of a  disappointment,  but  it
taught me a valuable lesson: Don't expect anyone to be wanting to
talk to you after they've done a concert.
 But I knew the day after would be brilliant: The actual concert.
 At just past 6 PM, February 11th, Stefan arrived at my place and
Miranda and me joined him to the concert. I had told him it would
be a smart move to arrive at Vredenburg early so that we'd be  in
the  hall as one of the first people - rush in and get  the  best
places.  At 7 the doors opened and in we went. We assured a prime
position  exactly  in front of Joe's spot  on  the  stage,  right
against the stage. Nothing could go wrong.
 The support act started at 20:15,  Adrian Legg.  I'd never heard
of him before and I doubt I ever will.  He's a solo performer who
has  specialised  in the acoustic guitar.  I had  hoped  to  find
sortof  a  Bernd  Steidl,  but in fact it  was  someone  who  was
excellent at playing boogies and that sort of thing. Mind me, the
guy  was quite superb,  and it was amazing to see  him  play.  He
played  bass,  rhythm  and  solo all in one go  on  one  acoustic
guitar, which is quite a feat. I guess he was Michael Lee Firkins
who'd met Stuart Hamm and went acoustic in a traditional way. His
playing technique included fast hammer-ons, and at one particular
part  of a song he used his left hand only to  rapidly  (de-)tune
the machineheads in order to get different notes.  As I said,  he
was  doubtlessly brilliant - but it's the kind of stuff  you  can
hardly  appreciate when just listening to a CD.  I guess I  won't
buy one of his records.
 The support act played for half an hour.  After that, some items
were removed from the stage and others added. At 21:05 the lights
were  dimmed  once more and the outrageously  enthusiastic  crowd
welcomed  the first notes of "Satch Boogie".  I have never  quite
witnessed such zeal in a crowd.  Joe could play the audience just
as   efficiently  as  he  played  his  guitar.   We  were   quite
unbelievably  close and this really makes a concert such as  this
much better. We could see his every facial spasm, every finger as
it  struck a note.  This was mass guitar hero drooling if ever  I
witnessed  it.  And it was pretty obvious that Joe  was  enjoying
himself as well - a huge smile was almost permanently present  on
his face when it wasn't too busy contorting in some way or other.
 After  "Satch Boogie",  "The Extremist" followed.  After that  I
lost  my  head  so much that I  couldn't  possibly  remember  the
playing  sequence.  All  I can remember is that  he  also  played
"Cryin'",  "Friends",  the totally acoustic "Tears in the  Rain",
"Summer  Song"  and "War" (my favourite!) off his  latest  album,
with  "New Blues" in the first encore (including an audience  <->
guitar duet,  would you believe).  "Flying in the Blue Dream" was
represented by its title song,  "The Mystical Potato Head  Groove
Thing",  "I  Believe",  "One Big Rush" and "Big  Bad  Moon".  Off
"Surfing  With the Alien" he played "Ice Nine",  "Always With  Me
Always  With You",  "Circles" and the title song (which  was  the
first song of the first encore),  and from "Not of this Earth" he
did "Rubina" (second encore's only song).  The "Dreaming #11"  EP
was present with the song "The Crush of Love",  and we even got a
Gregg  Bissonette drum solo which was capably performed  but  not
the  thing  we were waiting for.  No "Memories"  and  "Hordes  of
Locusts" were played, unfortunately - but you can't win 'em all.
 At 23:10 the man removed himself after the final encore. He came
back  for  another  two minutes or so,  wielding  a  HandyCam  to
capture the crowd on video - if you ever see a future video  clip
with  lots  of fans carrying silly expressions  plastered  across
their  faces,  you might be looking at Miranda and me.  Joe  then
left for the final time,  the lights going back on.  Some frantic
minutes  followed  during  which  several  freaks  (me  included)
zealously  scanned the ground for potentially retrievable  guitar
picks.  No luck, though. In the end only Miranda had succeeded in
getting  one  from the last batch that was thrown  in  the  crowd
after the last notes of the concert had died away.
 Off to buy some (ridiculously expensive) merchandise,  get  some
Coke at a local off-licence and then back home.  Van Halen  would
have  to be pretty abso-f*@king-lutely brilliant for this not  to
be the best of yours truly's 1993 concert experiences.

Van Halen - April 13th 1993, Ahoy, Rotterdam

 Van  Halen had not been to Holland for almost exactly  13  years
when  they finally came to play at the Ahoy in  Rotterdam,  April
13th  1993.  Some other people of the Utrecht University  English
Department  went as well,  so we had decided to meet in  the  pub
across  our faculty building later in the afternoon so as  to  be
sure of a timely arrival.
 After  having  downed  a couple of pints we took  the  train  to
Rotterdam.  After  a  brief subway  experience  (which  primarily
involved words like "crammed",  "damp" and "warm") we arose  from
the wombs of the earth at several hundred yards from Ahoy.
 Already  there  was quite a significant gathering of  Van  Halen
afficionados.  There were older people, younger people, fat ones,
thin ones,  and quite a large amount of girls in comparison  with
other heavy concerts I've been too. Well, Van Halen isn't exactly
heavy,   actually,  and  the  support  act  (Little  Angels)  was
positively soft, exactly the kind of thing girls would go to.
 At  one  or two minutes to eight (PM) the whole  thing  started.
Little Angels played for well over half an hour and all I can say
is that they aren't a band that will ever make it big  musically.
They are your bog-standard middle-of-the-road love song band with
no  particularly excellent musical craftsmanship and too much  of
an  emphasis on long blond hair flailing and that kind  of  thing
which you probably all know I loathe.
 At  several  minutes  past nine Van  Halen  started.  The  crowd
regarded the gig as some sort of "welcome home" concert,  banners
to which effect were flung on the stage and worn by singer  Sammy
Hagar  all  the time.  Eddie van Halen connected a drill  to  the
strings  of  his guitar and lead the band  into  "Poundcake"  off
their  latest "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" album.  Although  I
have  never  seen Van Halen with David Lee Roth,  I  think  Sammy
Hagar is actually just about as good.  OK,  he can't jump as high
and his voice hasn't the all-too-familiar Rothian hoarseness, but
he's a good front man anyway. The band jumped around and had fun,
with the crowd making use of every spare moment to chant  slogans
along  the  lines  of,  pretty  straightforward,  "Eddie,  Eddie,
Eddie".  Both  Alex  (drums) and Edward (Eddie) van  Halen  spent
about  two or three years of their todlerhood in Holland and  the
audience  made most of it.  Even Sammy Hagar and Michael  Anthony
(bass) felt sortof like playing a home match,  or at least that's
what they said.
 All of Van Halen's hit songs were played - "You Really Got  Me",
"Judgement  Day",  "Ain't Talking 'Bout  Love",  "Panama",  "Love
Walks In",  "Why Can't This Be Love", "Jump" and even "Unchained"
(one of my old favourites). Of course there were some solo spots,
which were all slightly superfluous except,  of course,  for  the
Eddie van Halen solo spot which was  saliva-ejuculation-provoking
to  say  the  least  (and which took a  quarter  of  an  hour  or
something).  Although Joe Satriani has more soul and a  technique
almost as brilliant,  Eddie van Halen is simply a lot faster  and
has even more technical bits up his sleeve. It was truly amazing.
 The  encore  saw  Eddie present himself on stage  in  an  orange
soccer T-shirt number 14 (i.e.  that of Johan Cruyff, and I think
Marco  van  Basten  too).  After he  said  "bedankt"  (Dutch  for
"thanks")  the audience had its final flip-out.  Sammy said  this
had  been  the  best  European  gig he  had  ever  done  (and  he
emphasised  that  he didn't say this every time and that  he  was
sincere and all, so we all believed it).
 Although  not as intimate as the Joe Satriani gig,  I would  not
have  wanted  to  miss  this  concert  for  anything.  It  was  a
tremendously impressive happening.  I am glad I've seen Eddie van
Halen at last.  Now I only need to see Ritchie Blackmore and some
of the more recent guitar wizards still. 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.