Skip to main content
? Omega (with E altered by Cronos)

 "Excuse  me,  Kai.  That  was no fart.  That was  just  my  body
applauding the food."
                                             Anon (in the gutter)

                             PART I
                      by Richard Karsmakers

 This article also contains some dedication notes.

 When Stefan and me left Norway in January 1990 there was no  way
of being able to tell whether one of us,  or both, would ever set
foot on the Hallowed Nutty Soil again or not.  Nobody knows  what
the future will bring,  so we didn't either at that point.  As it
turned  out  the future so far already brought a  visit  of  some
Norwegians to my place almost exactly three years later,  and  it
can  now be revealed that the temporary climax has  been  reached
when  my  girlfriend  Miranda and myself once  more  visited  the
Fjorden Country last July.

 Altogether,  the  preparations  hadn't really taken  that  long.
Basically they consisted of consulting a good Atlas,  writing Kai
Holst and emailing a lot with Gard Eggesbø Abrahamsen (previously
known  as  the  Minute  Microbe,  but also  known  by  even  less
illustrious pseudonyms,  some of which are slightly  applicable),
Torbjørn  Ose (alias Lord HackBear of Delta Force) and the  First
And  Truest  of Nutties,  Ronny Hatlemark.  Although  at  various
occasions  the  plans  had  to be tossed  around  so  as  not  to
inconvene too many of the people we intended to see,  in the  end
the final plans unfortunately had to exclude a visit to  Torbjørn
due  to  the simple reason of our not being able to  come  sooner
(due to my final sophomore exams) and his joining the army around
that exact time.

 And so our story begins...

 At 12:55,  the afternoon of Sunday July 4th 1993, Miranda and me
left from Utrecht Central Station.  Or at least we were  supposed
to leave.  Dutch Railways wouldn't be what they are today if they
didn't  manage  to concoct some kind of delay  during  this  very
first stage of our Interrail adventure,  and indeed that is  what
they  did.  As we sat in the train,  beholding the clock  ticking
away minute after minute,  we were getting increasingly  restive.
We  only  had about 20 minutes once we would  get  to  Amersfoort
(normally  at  13:15)  to get the first  international  train  to
Osnabrück,  Germany.  If  the train were to wait any longer  than
that, we would not just miss that train but we would also have no
way  to get on all ensueing proper trains,  most of which we  had
reserved seats or sleeping places in.
 Outside the train a ticket collector was walking.  I was feeling
very  uncomfortable.  Delays are the kind of stuff you  can  cope
with  on the way back home,  but not when the entire holiday  had
yet to start. I went outside and asked him, assuming he worked on
the  train  we were in,  if perhaps he had a clue as to  when  it
would be leaving.
 "Sure," he said, "it's leaving right now."
 As  I looked back over my shoulder,  my heart missing a beat  or
two, I saw the train doors closing.
 "Oops," I said.
 "Are  you  supposed  to  be on that train?"  he  inquired  in  a
friendly and somewhat patronizing manner.
 "Sure. Holiday. All my stuff's on board," I said, straining hard
not to, you know, flip out.
 The  train wasn't yet in motion.  I looked at  Miranda,  on  the
inside of the train. I don't think she thought my move had been a
brilliant one.
 The ticket collector managed to communicate with the  driver;  a
door opened again and I could quickly get in,  though in  another
part  of  the train that was not connected to  the  bit  carrying
Miranda, my rucksack, passport and money.
 At Amersfoort I joined Miranda again.  We had to dash to get  to
the 13:41 to Osnabrück, but we managed eventually.

 The train was very busy and it was quite warm, too. It seemed as
if  approximately half of all Dutch youths were travelling  east.
All  of this was made somewhat more awkward by the fact that  all
of  them  - including us - were wearing bulging back  packs  that
didn't particularly facilitate moving smoothly through the narrow
and thoroughly crammed train corridors.
 After  about fifteen minutes we had managed to fight our way  to
the very back of the train,  where there were some seats left for
us  to  lower our already anxious bodies on.  I  started  reading
Stephen King's "It";  Miranda continued her reading of the second
Volume  of  the  "Rose of the Prophet"  trilogy  by  Hickman/Weis
(borrowed  from Alex  "Yes-I-Will-Do-The-Second-Part-Of-My-Story-
But-Probably-Not-This-Century"  Crousen).  Time  and  the  German
landscape - uninteresting and rather plain in a green sort of way
- whizzed by.
 At  16:21 we got onto the IC 522 train to Hamburg  after  having
disembarked at Osnabrück.  This part of the trip was particularly
uneventful,  the both of us just reading a lot.  "It" was getting
into the mood.
 We had a bit more than an hour to kill at Hamburg  Hauptbahnhof.
If we were killing time anyway,  why not kill off a few  coronary
arteries  as well?  So we decided to use the few German marks  we
had to stuff our faces with whatever we could afford at the local
Station's  McDonalds.  I  was reminded of the  fact  that  German
branches   of   McDonalds  don't  have  my  fave  snack   -   the
Quarterpounder. Instead we had something different, probably some
sort of BigMac (and I hate BigMacs because my mouth just isn't as
big as that of Randy Crawford).
 At  19:34  the Eurocity train Alfred  Nobel,  destined  for  the
wholly  wonderful  city  of Oslo (which is oddly  in  vogue  with
airplane hijackers these days,  so it seems) departed.  This  was
the  train where we were to spend the next 16+ hours in  a  small
couchette  with an American couple and two rather smelly  Germans
destined  for Swedish Göteborg who joined us when the  train  had
to board a ferry for the first time, at Puttgarten.
 The  holiday feeling really struck us in that  train.  There  is
always a totally different and certainly addictive atmosphere  on
a  train headed for faraway destinations.  I guess it's the  same
feeling  you'd  have  when  on  a  Trans-Siberia-Express,  though
possibly  not quite that intense.  Already the landscape  outside
the  train  was becoming dominated more by meadows  and  forests,
less  of  the  good  ol'  German  autobahns,  smogged-up  cities,
industrial areas, that sort of thing.
 At Puttgarden,  were we suddenly discovered these Germans having
been added to a couchette that was obviously designed for six but
not  nearly  enough for four,  the whole train was put  aboard  a
ferry  to  the  Danish  town of Rødbyhavn.  It was  a  bit  of  a
claustrophobic experience,  until we found out we could  actually
leave the train and go up into the ship to catch some lungsful of
fresh sea air.
 There we witnessed a more than average sunset over the waters of
Fehmarnbelt,  after  which the increasing chill sent us back  in.
The boat trip lasted about an hour,  after which another hour was
spent getting the whole thing off the ferry again. This procedure
mainly  seemed to involve moving the train backward  and  forward
innumerable times.
 By  the time the train was on the move across Denmark again  all
of us tried to catch some Z's.  The couchette was getting  pretty
damp  and hot,  the Germans getting a bit smellier too.  I had  a
terrible night which seemed not to know any sleep,  even though I
sortof awoke to some early rays of the sun at about 6 PM, already
in Sweden.  I must have slept for a while at least, for the train
had already made another small crossing from Danish Helsingør  to
Swedish  Helsingborg.  Even the repeated train juggling  had  not
been noticed.  Oh yeah,  there was an instant of everybody waking
up  in  the  middle of the night when  ruthless  Swedish  customs
officers  burst  into the couchette,  switched on  the  brightest
lights they could find and insisted we show our passports.  To my
dazed eyesight they looked remarkably much like nazis,  and  they
certainly acted accordingly.
 Anyway,  I was unable to return to sleep once awake at around  6
AM.  I  was in Sweden,  the sun was shining,  and the  train  was
driving at dazzling speed to where we wanted to be.
 After  attempting  to  freshen up myself and  shaving  a  bit  I
basically  spent about an hour standing in the  corridor,  seeing
the Swedish landscape scroll by smoothly.  All I could see was  a
sortof  rugged but cultivated landscape with loads of  trees.  As
time progressed I became aware of a growing number of Volvos  and
the  odd  Saab  on  distant  roads.   There's  something   really
particular  about a train with loads of sleeping  people  driving
through  a  country  totally  asleep  except  for  a  few   early
 Gøteborg  Central Station was virtually abandoned.  The  Germans
left us, smelly feet and all, creating a lot more space (they had
large back packs,  just like the American couple and  ourselves).
For some reason, probably something to do with time schedules, we
remained at Gøteborg for what seemed like - and probably was - an
 Not  too  long after the train had  departed,  Miranda  and  the
Americans awoke.  We cursed at our stupidity for having spent all
German  marks at the Hamburg Hamburger  joint.  The  ridiculously
expensive  drinks  aboard the train,  for which our  throats  and
mouths were craving most profoundly regardless the price, all had
to be paid for with German currency. To make things worse, all we
had for breakfast were dry wheat biscuits.
 Probably  around  10 AM the train entered the Hallowed  Soil  of
Norway. A peculiar feeling grabbed hold of me, clogging my throat
with  some  kind of  half-forgotten  sentiment.  Norway,  country
sublime. I was back. I gazed outside at the country that appeared
more  rugged  by  the  minute.  Dark  green  forests  lay  draped
pleasingly across hills,  rocks protruded from the soil. This was
the same kind of land I had driven through with Stefan and  Lars-
Erik  on our way to Ronny's abode in Ørsta,  years  ago.  Country
sublime indeed. I looked at the sun, not quite realising it would
be  just  about the last bit of it we were to  see,  despite  Kai
Holst's  repeated  utterings  of expected good  weather  and  our
consequently  having packed loads of T-shirts,  shorts and  other
items  of  clothing usually worn only during the  hottest  summer
season days.
 "It" progressed nicely, encapturing me ever more. I guess so did
"Rose of the Prophets" volume 2.
 At 11:46,  Monday July 5th 1993, we threw our thirsty bodies out
of the train at Oslo, having spent rather too many hours sitting.
We  stretched our legs and dashed for the nearest place where  we
could  buy something to drink,  discovering the fact that  Norway
had  introduced the half-litre plastic  recyclable  nondisposable
Coca  Cola bottle.  Although insanely expensive (as most  things,
again, turned out to be in Norway), we welcomed this invention by
buying a few immediately.
 At least we got back 1 NOK when we bothered to bring them back.
 Next stage in our journey was to be an express bus trip to Kai's
home town of Øvre Ardal by means of the Valdres Expressen, a fast
bus service between Oslo and the area in which Øvre Ardal lay (at
about  a height between Bergen and Ålesund,  which I'm  sure  all
your atlases show). This bus was not due to leave until 17:15, so
Kai  had  informed  us,  but we already went  in  search  of  its
terminal  right  away,  buying tickets and  inquiring  about  its
departure just in case.
 Actually,  this was one of the few items of information Kai  had
supplied us with that turned out to be absolutely and irrevokably
 So we had another few hours to kill in Oslo.  We were not  aware
of any particular places to go and see there, so basically we did
what  we  always  do  in foreign places -  check  out  the  local
 It  is said that a BigMac costs just about as much  anywhere  as
everywhere else.  This is a false assumption,  for in Norway even
the  McDonalds  is  as expensive as  the  rest  (i.e.  even  more
expensive  than  it  normally  already  is).   At  least,  to  my
considerable joy, they did have Quarterpounders.
 After having bought,  written and mailed a couple of dozen  post
cards  we went back to the bus terminal.  The bus left  about  on
time.  Apart  from the first and rather  unsightful  bit,  around
Oslo, we were in for a treat.
 Only interrupted by a short driver's break,  the bus brought  us
comfortably to where we wanted to be, awarding us with some great
views  of southern Norway.  We didn't have to change buses  once.
The  driver  was an expert obviously.  At multiple  occasions  we
thought  we would be falling into some kind of ravine the way  he
was keeping to the edge of the road - often whilst shifting  gear
a lot with one hand,  talking on the mobile phone with the  other
and using his knee to actually move the steering wheel.  It was a
hair-raising experience.
 Within about half an hour from Øvre Ardal,  where we were due to
arrive at approximately 22:40,  we began to doubt sincerely Kai's
predictions about the weather. There was rather too much snow and
ice  for  temperatures of around 20 degrees.  And there  we  sat,
wearing  clothes  that wouldn't raise any eyebrows on  a  Spanish
 It  turned out to be a mountain we had to cross before  an  awe-
inspiring descent followed down to the town of Øvre Ardal,  which
lay  hemmed in by some mountain ranges at the end (or  beginning)
of the Ardalsfjord. The 1-kilometre descent was steep and quite a
thrill.  Far  below us we saw the town's hydroelectricity  works,
with  the  actual town lying more towards the end  of  the  small
river that crossed the valley, to the east.
 The word 'picturesque' sprang to mind.
 At  the  estimated  time of arrival we crossed  the  Øvre  Ardal
river, the stop after which we had to get off on. Kai "New Energy
Addict" Holst and his dad were waiting for us there.  We  quickly
got  in the car,  chilled to the bone already,  and drove off  to
Haakon's VII Vegen 15,  a house that Kai proudly claimed was  the
biggest private house in Øvre Ardal.
 It has to be said it was a rather nice house, though not seeming
all  that  big from the outside.  Inside there  were  comfortably
heated rooms with lights on aplenty,  a sauna,  two bathrooms,  a
number of bedrooms we didn't even bother to count,  a living room
upstairs,  an extra games/TV room downstairs,  the works. Miranda
and  myself  really  like wooden houses with  wooden  floors  and
wooden  furniture.  From the inside it was one heck of  a  place,
spacey and luxurious.
 We noted that there were lights on everywhere - something  which
we considered strange as in our country we're taught (by  parents
and the government) never to leave any lights on when you leave a
room  so as to save energy.  Kai explained this was due to  their
electricity  being  very cheap,  what with  the  Hydroelectricity
works and all.
 Fine.  But the generated heat still helps global  warming.  They
seemed to have conveniently forgotten about that.
 Anyway.  We gave Kai the Whistler Courbois Whistler  "Privilege"
CD he had so ardently desired,  after which we were introduced to
his  sister  (whose name has totally evaded  getting  permanently
lodged  in my brain coils,  but it sounded a bit like Cecilia  or
something)  and  mother,  the  latter of which  who  had  already
produced a rather copious meal for us to enjoy.
 And enjoy it we did - Reindeer meat in a tender sauce with  lots
of veggy goodies as well.  Kai's mum is an excellent cook - as  a
matter  of fact she made spring back to mind all those praises  I
had  once bestowed on the humble shoulders of Mrs.  Butler  where
Stefan  and  myself spent the last day during  the  "LateST  NEWS
Quest".  Mrs.  Holst  is  the kind of person who  seems  to  have
dedicated  ever morsel of her life most deservingly to  preparing
meals to satiate her husband,  offspring and possible guests -  a
feminists' nightmare.
 After dinner Kai took us for a stroll around Øvre Ardal. Miranda
and me had each taken one sweater with us - Kai had luckily  been
so  smart as to advise us to bring one,  just in case.  They  had
been really down deep in our back packs,  however,  so we had  to
dig them out and put on our jackets on, too, when we went out.
 It  was  already growing slightly dark.  It was a bit  like  the
onset of dusk,  only at a time of something close to midnight. It
never actually got dark while we were in Norway.  This  succeeded
in  screwing up our biorhythms a bit,  but not as totally as  the
previous visit to Norway,  mid-winter,  when it would already  be
pitch dark at 4 in the afternoon.
 One  of the sights of Øvre Årdal was a small but  rather  active
waterfall  to the north of town.  He walked us there and  we  got
quite wet and virtually hearing-impaired.
 We went to bed not much later. We were quite tired from the trip
and I for one hadn't slept much at all the previous night (unlike
Miranda,  so  it  seemed,  who had told me tall  stories  of  her
sleeping  with  seven people in a sleeping-chair  thingy  in  the
train - just as small as the couchette we had stayed in but  with
no beds even).
 Kai had to work every day,  get up early and not get back  until
around  4  PM.  We  spent the late morning  and  early  afternoon
strolling through donwtown Øvre Årdal,  admiring the clean  river
(there  aren't any like that in the Netherlands) and  buying  the
superb  and  by  now  famous 'IFA  pastiller'  (small  pieces  of
liquorice  that  really  taste  nice,  available  in  two  divine
tastes).  Once  we got back to the Holst residence we  spent  our
time  waiting  for  Kai  to get back from  work  by  reading  the
assorted copies of "Calvin & Hobbes" comics lying about his room.
We  had never really gotten around to reading any of  these,  and
the both of us really thought they were very funny.  That guy can
draw incredibly effectively, too.
 Anyway,  after Kai arrived his mother once more treated us to  a
more than copious dinner, this time involving some sort of melted
cheese  sauce and a whole lot of other things that  we  ourselves
usually  never bother to make because it's just such a damn  load
of work.  Not so for Mrs.  Holst, apparently. She seems to thrive
on the mere act of cooking.  Amazing.  There should be many  more
people like that,  especially among those who bother to invite me
over for dinner now and again.
 After  dinner  we went for an amazing walk to a  place  that,  I
seem to recall, was called Vettisfossen. Kai's dad dropped us off
at  about  a fifteen minutes' drive  up  the  river.  There,  the
seemingly rather quiet river was still fed by multiple waterfalls
that went from 'rather' to 'very' impressive.  Crossing the river
several times across makeshift bridges we continued upstream  for
a few hours.  Kai proved to be quite an athlete, who continuously
had  to slow down to let us - poor Flatland Dwellers -  catch  up
with him as he ascended.  The views changed from steep cliffs  to
soft  green  meadows  near  to  which  waterfalls  crashed   down
majestically. Quite beautiful.
 After a few hours the quality of the path deteriorated.  It  was
getting  progressively slippery.  Once we'd reached a  drawbridge
where  we  made  some really spectacular  pictures  of  ourselves
hanging  across  the down-crashing current,  we  went  back  (the
pictures,  by the way,  got f*@ked when Kai's camera got damaged,
some weeks later).
 We  had agreed to meet Kai's dad at midnight at the place  where
we had set out on our walk.  We were quite a bit too late but the
man turned out to have an angel's patience.  He was still  there,
accompanied by Kai's sister.
 Once  back at the house,  we got another load of food thrust  at
us.  We  ate  to  our  hearts'  content,  and  then  some.  Tired
proverbally, we went to bed, spending the first half hour dazedly
listening to the soft scratches of one of their more fluffy  cats
who was trying to join us in that room.
 The  next day,  Wednesday,  we woke up rather later than we  had
intended.  Although  we  both love sleeping late,  we  also  both
consider it a waste of valuable quality holiday time to spend  it
in  bed.  Once we had pulled ourselves through the shower  and  a
good  breakfast we set out exploring the vicinity of  Øvre  Årdal
again.  As the both of us had been impressed by that waterfall to
the north of town that we had visited on the late evening of  our
first day, we decided to attempt to find it again.
 Remarkably, our attempt was successful.
 To the considerable discomfort of Miranda, I spent about half an
hour  trying  to get as close as possible to the  most  dangerous
bits  in the waterfall (which weren't,  let's be  fair,  actually
that  dangerous,  though  it could probably kill you if  you  got
caught  by  the  by-rushing  current).  I  frantically  signalled
Miranda  to  take a picture,  which nearly caused me to  lose  my
balance several times.
 There  is something really minutifying about sitting next  to  a
waterfall  where  tons  of  mountain  water  come  crashing  down
mercilessly,  having  within  them the power  to  shape  abysses,
crevices and tumultous rivers.  I sat there for a while,  enawed,
until I saw Miranda frantically signalling,  which indicated that
she was still not feeling comfortable at all at what she reckoned
were my positively suicidal antics.
 I like Norway.  I like waterfalls.  I know where I'll be  living
once I've retired.  Provided I'll succeed in getting rather  rich
before, that is.
 Not too long after we had returned back to the Holst  residence,
Kai returned. His arrival meant another perusal of most excellent
foodstuffs,  and not too long after that Kai took us for a stroll
in a vaguely northeastern direction, towards a flattened mountain
kind of thing overlooking the Årdal Hydroelectricity Works.  When
we  walked  by  a supermarket we discovered  Kai's  "New  Energy"
addiction.  Suddenly he was sucked in, helpless, seemingly not in
control of himself.  He got attracted in some eerie way by a load
of candy, quickly grasped what "High Energy" bars he could, paid,
and quickly left the place.
 At least we could get some IFA too.
 The  mountain  -  actually more like a big  hill  -  was  easily
ascended;  not due to a sudden increase in our climbing adeptness
but because someone some time ago had been as brilliant so as  to
make  a rather very long series of steps to the top.  Even so  it
was still pretty tireing for us (I know,  we're pretty  pathetic.
But we're pretty proud of it!).
 On  the top of that flattened mountain were several  remains  of
long-abandoned  grave  sites.  They were supposed  to  be  pretty
ancient,  and  I  believe they're Øvre Årdal's claim  to  tourist
fame.  They actually looked as if any bunch of native kids  could
have erected them - vague piles of stones,  as a matter of  fact.
To the experiences eye (such as those we had not) they might have
looked drool-invokingly interesting, but to us they didn't much.
 We  walked back to Kai's place.  So far we had spent  only  very
little time behind Kai's Falcon.  I didn't have one at the  time,
and I was actually pretty eager to try it out.  Miranda had  made
me swear not to turn this into a computer freak orgy holiday, but
she  allowed us to spend some time on the machine  that  evening.
She kept busy reading "Calvin & Hobbes" (yes,  computer  junkies,
there's  a valuable tip to keep your girlfriends happy).
 In spite of the fact that Kai insisted on using an overscan (OK)
interlaced (not OK at all!) resolution by default,  my encounters
with the machine had a specific kind of magic.  For starters  the
beta  version  of my "Ultimate Virus  Killer"  worked.  At  least
mostly.  Kai  also showed some really brilliant  demos,  best  of
which  was one by the Respectables (who surely deserve a  lot  of
it  -  respect,  that is) that had digi sound (CD  quality)  with
rotating  and zooming graphics and oodles and oodles of  colours.
Genuinely impressive,  that demo. The Falcon-invoked drooling was
interrupted for an hour or so when Kai took us to a local pub. He
was  hoping  to let us gaze at some of the girls  who  constantly
profess their deepest love to him,  but they turned out not to be
there. Some things we did find were insanely high beer prices and
the  continuous  tendency of whoever did the music  to  limit  it
solely to dance stuff.  Not our kind of place at all.  The  music
was A) Bad, and B) Too loud to allow for any decent conversation.
 Kai is probably not human,  or at least not totally.  He went to
bed  way after midnight,  something which we now noticed  he  had
done the day before and something which he also turned out to  do
every successive night.  What with him having to get up at around
6  AM every day,  this is definite proof of him actually being  a
Cyborg. Or possibly a Virus Terminator (some of you probably know
that  he's  actually doing "Antidote",  one of the  most  serious
"Ultimate Virus Killer" competitors).
 Enough of these observations. Allow me to proceed to Thursday.
 Thursday  was definitely the least interesting day of  those  we
spent  at Kai's place.  We spent the morning and early  afternoon
occupying  ourselves  again,   this  time  by  going  to   higher
locations of the waterfall we had investigated in more detail the
day before.
 There was a bridge across the waterfall that we had already been
on for a short while on our first evening,  the spray wetting  us
through.  There  was no spray now,  so we crossed the bridge  and
tracked  up  a winding path that went up  the  northern  mountain
ridge in western direction. We made some pretty stunning pictures
of the town from the much higher positions,  but when it  started
to rain somewhat we went back to the bridge to hide under it.
 When the rain slackened a bit,  we followed the mountain road up
along the river that was the waterfall.  We were treated to a few
showers that didn't wet us but instead just cooled us off a  bit.
It  wasn't exactly cold or warm,  but the climbing just  made  us
break into a bit of sweat perpetually.
 This   was  the  first  time  we  discovered  that   for   which
Skandinavian  summers  are  notorious:   Flies.   There   weren't
particularly  many of them,  but they seemed to make a  habit  of
flying  around  our heads and getting attracting  by  any  motion
you'd care to make to attempt to chase them off.
 We didn't quite make it to the top, because the road got further
off  the waterfall and we got the idea we'd never see the top  of
the  waterfall no matter how far up we followed the  road.  Also,
the  time  had arrived when it wouldn't take too long  until  Kai
would come back from work, so we went back to his place.
 The  rest  of  the afternoon we had  orginally  planned  to  get
dropped at about 1 kilometre height, at the bit where the Valdres
Expressen  had started its awe-inspiring descent some  days  ago.
The  rain had increased dramatically,  however,  confining us  to
the  Holst residence where we spent the time reading  some  more,
talking  shop,  and copying various Falcon-related items onto  my
 Late in the afternoon,  but before dinner,  Kai's oldest  sister
and boyfriend arrived. They took up the attic bed room so Miranda
and  me had to spend the night in Kai's bedroom,  with  the  dude
himself  sleeping  on  the couch  in  the  downstairs  additional
games/TV  room (such sacrifice!).  Anyway,  our last  dinner  was
rather excellent as usual.
 That  night  I  slept as well as ever.  Though  I  was  severely
tempted  to raid Kai's Falcon and rip off his  "Antidote"  source
code,  I  restrained  myself  and  noblely  refrained  from  this
loathsome and karma-damaging act.
 Friday was not a nice day.  The weather was OK and all people in
the  house were as friendly as ever,  but a feeling of  'goodbye'
pervaded the air.  We had to wait until a time after noon,  which
was  too  long not to do anything but too short  to  do  anything
decent. So we basically sat waiting, at times attempting to break
"Tetris" hiscores on the Gameboy we had brought.
 After a heart-rending goodbye and Mrs. Holst giving each of us a
portable  umbrella (which was slightly embarassing  because  we'd
never  quite  experienced hosts giving presents) the  sister  and
boyfriend brought us to Årdalstangen,  a town at about a  quarter
of  a mile (and one long tunnel where the maximum height  is  4.2
metres)  west of Øvre Årdal,  where Kai worked in a  laundry.  We
would meet him there, he would arrange the ferry/bus tickets, and
we would grab a boat west.
 Some  time  after  Kai and the family had  left  us,  the  ferry
arrived and we were allowed to board.

 It  was the beginning of a rather very long and equally  intense
journey  across Sogn and Fjordane involving several  ferries  and
buses.  The  ticket  did not contain a lot of information  so  we
really  had  to try hard to find out where we had  to  disembark,
where we had to run to which buses,  the works.  For someone  who
likes to have his entire holiday figured out before he goes  (and
I  do  mean  completely figured out),  this was  a  most  stress-
invoking experience.
 As was indicated already,  the first bit was by ferry.  It was a
medium-sized ferry,  the kind of which would probably sink at the
first wave if it were ever to be used at sea. After about an hour
(at  least I think it was something like that) we had to get  off
at Kaupanger.  It was a good thing we didn't know that we  really
had  to  dash for the bus,  for otherwise we would have  been  so
worked up that by the time we arrived we would not even have seen
it.  As it was, we didn't know and Lady Luck must have considered
us a pretty nice bunch of tourists for the bus left at the  exact
moment we got in.
 That bus trip was pretty ordinary.  We drove along a fjord  most
of the time, headed for what I believe was a town called Sogndal.
We didn't know where we had to get off,  but it was a lot  easier
than  we had thought as the bus virtually drove into a  fjord  at
the  spot where we had to embark on a boat again,  I think  in  a
town called Hella.
 That second boat trip was most comfortable.  The ferry was a lot
bigger and the scenery was much more admirable. We did get into a
few rather heavy showers, but nothing big enough to make the ship
crew run around with buckets or that sort of thing.
 At Fjærland we got off the boat again,  onto a waiting  bus.  It
was getting pretty cold again, and after a few minutes we saw the
reason for that cold as we glanced out of the bus windows.  Ahead
and  to  the left of us lay an enormous  glacier,  poised  as  it
were,  coloured all shades of grey and light purple. Impressed we
gazed  at  it,  even  attempted to make a picture  of  it  (Later
examination  of  an  atlas  told me  it  had  probably  been  the
Huldrefossen or Jostedalsbreen glacier).
 We had not yet regained our composure again when the bus hurtled
itself into a seemingly endless tunnel. When it came out again we
were,  obviously,  at  the other side of a  mountain  range.  The
weather was quite different, and a bit more sunny there.
 Wow.  So  far,  this had certainly been the best day as  far  as
scenery   was  concerned.   This  Vettisfossen  thing  had   been
incredible,  but the glacier we had seen was to Vettisfossen what
a dinosaur is to an elephant:  Bigger, and almost infinitely more
 We  spent a long time in that bus,  driving through  lush  green
valleys  aglow with just fallen rain,  accompanied by  small  and
briskly  flowing  rivers  that  eagerly  sought  their  ways   to
impressive fjords.
 Near a hotel, probably in Skei or Stryn, a bus was found waiting
to  take  the  two  of us to  Nordfjordeid.  The  soft  rain  had
increased to something more akin to a downpour now.
 The landscape continued impressing us relentlessly. It seemed as
if every hour brought us steeper cliffs with wilder rivers at the
bottom of ravine,  to the edges of which the drivers moved  their
buses increasingly closely.
 We  left  the  bus at  Nordfjordeid,  and  sortof  automatically
entered  the  bus that stood waiting next to the  one  we'd  just
left.  It seemed like the right thing to do,  also because it had
"Ørsta" displayed on it.
 When the bus driver came to check our tickets he told us we were
in  the wrong bus.  We needed to get into the bus that  was  just
about to leave on the other side, i.e. the bus we had just left.
 We quickly fetched our back packs from the baggage space in  the
bus'  bowels and ran back to our previous bus.  It promptly  left
for Ørsta.
 Ørsta...I couldn't wait to set foot on Ørstaian soil again,  see
the wonderful town once more in less wintry conditions.  We  were
mere hours away from it.
 This  last bus trip yet increased the depths of the ravines  and
the  proxomity  of their edges even more.
 At a certain stage,  within about three quarters of an hour from
our estimated time of arrival, around 8 PM I believe, the scenery
began to look familiar.  Within minutes the bus went on the  last
ferry, crossing the Austefjord to Volda. Volda was the town where
Ronny had to bring back rented videos some years ago, and it also
was  the  town  between Ørsta and  Austefjorden  where  Frøystein
Hustadness (a.k.a.  the F-Word, Frøyboy and Frøykid) lived (Later
I was told that Frøystein has had no contact with anyone  anymore
and  had concentrated on mountain climbing a lot - hence his  not
answering my few letters I had sent the last three years).
 I  was sitting at the edge of my seat.  Volda was within a  very
short distance from Ørsta,  maybe fifteen or twenty minutes.  The
bus rode across the same road that Lars-Erik had used some  years
ago.  Today's destination was brimming on the  horizon,  enluring
like a fata morgana.
 After  an  exchange  of drivers,  the bus pulled to  a  halt  at
Ørsta's  main bus stop.  We got out and fetched our  back  packs,
scanning the scenery for Ronny to appear.
 He did.
 He arose from a battered blue Ford Granada,  on his face the big
smile  I still remembered him perpetually wearing.  Although  his
hair  was  now a bit shorter,  he had grown a bit older  and  his
English had deteriorated a little, he hadn't really changed. Good
old Ronny, godfather of Ynnor the Divine One.
 Deja Vu struck.

 Will be continued in part II... 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.