Skip to main content

 "The Tasmanians, who never committed adultery, are now extinct."
                    William Somerset Maugham, "The Bread Winners"

                             PART II
                      by Richard Karsmakers

 ...continued from part I.

 All  strangely  at a loss for words after all  these  years,  he
drove us to a place quite close to Ørsta "International  Airport"
(once  the  setting  of something involving rubbers  and  a  male
Norwegian  Prime Minister),  to the south of the actual  town  of
Ørsta. There Ronny lived with Anne Grete - formerly known as "the
Perpetually Giggling One" - and their amazingly cute 13-month old
daughter, Jeanette.
 It was actually quite a big house, overlooking the Ørstafjord to
the  west with the first few lights of downtown Ørsta popping  up
to the right to the north. The house had a garage, two floors and
an attic,  quite the ideal place for a family to live in. Quickly
Ronny  explained  that only the bottom floor - and only  part  of
that  -  was  actually theirs.  It  amounted  to  a  medium-sized
bedroom, a bathroom and a living room with small kitchen attached
to it. It was actually really small, and in every nook and cranny
evidence  could be found of the presence of the beautiful  little
girl  that shunned away from us for the first half hour after  we
entered - Jeanette.
 Taking  care not to sit down on too much baby toys we sat  down.
Ronny went to the kitchen to cook us something as we watched TV -
some  kind  of  Norwegian TV show with very  good  computer  game
graphics  involving a troll or something.  We unpacked a  beeping
something we had bought for Jeanette,  a true Dutch souvenir  for
Ronny  and - of course - some of the ever present  chocolate  for
our hostess, Anne-Grete.
 After  a while,  Jeanette began to feel a bit more at ease  with
us.  She  even  allowed us to hold her within bursting out  in  a
crying fit instantly.  We quickly learned that the perfect way to
make  sure that she stopped crying was to aim a photo  camera  at
her.  This, by the way, made it very difficult to actually take a
picture  of  her  when crying.  Needless  to  say  we  eventually
 It was obvious that Jeanette was the centre around which rotated
this small family's life.  The entire house was dedicated to her,
as it were.  Those few square feet that didn't have miscellaneous
baby  toys lying here and there had various forms of baby  attire
hanging out to dry.  The bathroom,  in which it was impossible to
take  a shower due to all the semi-wet baby stuff hanging  there,
also faintly but distinctly smelled of baby poop.
 After  a  while  another girl arrived on  the  scene.  I  didn't
recognize her but she turned out to be Elin - yes,  the very same
Elin  Hatlemark that couldn't stand losing when  playing  "Bubble
Bobble".  Ronny's sister.  She had changed more than the others I
had seen so far.  She was much older now and much more mature. In
the  mean time she lived on her own - also because the  Hatlemark
parents had moved way down to the south of Norway not long  after
Stefan and me had visited them,  and she also had a boyfriend now
who  was out at sea but who was due to arrive back at  Ørsta  the
next day. She was evidently looking forward to it.
 For  us to be able to sleep we needed to get some mattresses  at
family  of Ronny's back in Volda.  At around midnight,  at  which
time Jeanette was still remarkably much active.
 Let's use the next part to recap a bit of Ronny's history  after
the 1988/1989 New Year's Visit to Norway.

 During our stay,  Ronny had already gotten acquainted with Anne-
Grete,  who  giggled  a  lot,  especially when  quoted  lines  of
"Norwegian  for Travellers" to.  A day or two later they  already
went  steady,  which must have been nigh impossible to  establish
what  with  about a dozen generally weird  and  computer-obsessed
people hanging around his room for almost two weeks.
 Anyway,  not  long  after  we had left and his  place  had  been
restored to its former self again,  he left for the army and  his
parents  moved  to  the south to make it  easier  to  sell  their
insanely  cute  Papillon dogs and go to  tournaments  with  them.
Ronny remained incommunicado for a very long time,  during  which
various unsubstantiated rumours reached us about his supposed new
job in a furniture factory after having quit the army.
 These rumours, unlike many others, were true.
 Not long after that, Ronny started working at a computer shop in
Ålesund,  where  he would occasionally meet Gard.  On  June  13th
1992 he and Anne Grete got Jeanette.  Eventually he contacted  us
again, and that's where we pick up the story again...

 We  arrived at Volda not much later.  His family had  said  they
would  leave the mattresses in sight somewhere so that  he  could
fetch them even if they weren't at home.
 As it happened, they indeed turned out not to be home. Above, we
could hear a dog yapping away at the various noises we made.  The
back door was open so we went in hesitatingly.  The dog increased
the  frequency and volume of its typically canine  noises.  Ronny
had to go upstairs to find the mattresses,  but eventually we got
them.  We folded them (and ourselves) back in the car and went to
Ørsta again.
 When we arrived,  quite some time after midnight,  Jeanette  was
still rather active.

 Parallel  to reasons explained earlier around my theory  of  Kai
not  being  human (or at least not totally),  I  have  reason  to
believe that Jeanette is not entirely human,  either. I never saw
such an active baby in my life. Sheesh.

 They all retreated to the bedroom eventually,  Jeanette  getting
more quiet now, leaving us and the mattresses to the living room.
 We slept remarkably well, not waking up even when Anne-Grete got
up  early  to  work  at a baker's and Ronny  got  up  to  deliver
 It was Saturday in Ørsta.  The weather wasn't great but not  too
bad either. At least it was dry (we forgot to knock wood though).
 Ronny was going to move that weekend,  which had become  evident
soon.  We  would  just  try to stay out of his  way  as  much  as
possible  whilst  remaining present to lend a helping  hand  when
actual stuff needed to be moved about.
 Anyway,  Ronny  dropped  us  off in town so  we  could  do  some
souvenir shopping as well as getting some supplies for a  planned
mountain  climbing  trip  we  wanted  to  undertake.   By   sheer
coincidence  we  met Elin in town,  who joined us on her  way  to
meeting  her  boyfriend.  Our ways parted as we  headed  for  the
souvenir  shop.  There we bought the obligatory  troll-associated
 Afterwards we went to the super market to buy some Cola, getting
stunned  at the fact that meat (of the sort you put on bread)  is
about  four  times  as  expensive here  as  in  the  Netherlands.
Amazing.  I  was later told this might have something to do  with
gradual  price  increases  over the last few years  that  are  to
climax  around  the time of the Winter Olympics  at  Lillehammer,
this  winter,  when  Norwegian economy expects a large  boost  in
 A bit later we met Ronny in the town square again,  after having
seen some sortof an every-Saturday musical thing involving people
walking around playing various instruments.  He was going to take
us  to  a mountain at about fifteen minutes  east  of  Ørsta.  It
wouldn't be too hard to climb for us weaklings,  he reckoned.  He
didn't say that bit about us being weak, actually.
 Although  Ronny claimed to have climbed the very  same  mountain
himself some years ago,  he had tremendous difficulty finding the
place  where  he  would drop us  off.  Eventually  it  was  found
(sortof)  and he left us to ourselves.  He would go and plan  the
moving  and  all,  and  we would try to get to the  top  of  this
mountain called Brekkeheida.
 On  our way up we noticed the phenomenon of  flies  again.  This
time  there  were many more.  The mountain seemed  half  made  of
flies,  really,  and  all of them wanted to be in a  position  of
about a foot from our heads.  Miranda, who is someone with a more
sedate disposition,  couldn't be bothered. I, being a rather more
restive kind of person,  grew continuously more irritated by  the
ever present particularly nasty arthropods. Especially as the way
up  became  steeper  and the odd drop of  sweat  arose  from  the
various  cavities in our skins,  the flies adopted  the  Japanese
kamikaze pilot attitude and assailed us relentlessly.
 I was really getting into a particularly vile mood. I started to
try and slap them away, which caused me to sweat more vehemently,
which  caused  more  flies to be  attracted,  which  caused  more get the picture, no doubt.
 In spite of the arthropod menace, we went almost all the way up.
We were almost directly opposite the highest spot of Norway  ever
visited by an ST NEWS editor (at the time that was  Stefan),  and
probably at about the same level.
 The scenery was beautiful,  with Ørsta draped next to the  green
water  of  the fjord to our right and the other  side  showing  a
sight reminiscent of Austria or something.  Any moment I expected
purple cows and large-breasted girls called "Heidi" to hop across
my field of vision. Or perhaps Julie Andrews singing, followed by
animated animals.
 The reason we didn't go all the way up was the fact that, again,
the path was getting increasingly slippery. Also, this particular
mountain  seemed basically to consist of a very large  rock  with
some mud on top of that, with a seemingly dry layer of soil flung
on  top  of the mud.  At multiple instances  we  found  ourselves
standing sortof in a very shallow riverlet of sorts, covered only
by a thin layer of soil and grass.
 We went down again a bit to where there were some huts.  We  ate
our lunch and eventually got dry enough so as to cause the  flies
to  leave  us alone.  It was  remarkably  warm,  actually.  Maybe
there's  truth to be found yet in the theory of being  closer  to
the sun on top of a mountain.
 On the way down we discovered a long descending path of  stairs.
We  felt kinda screwed.  We had climbed the hard way  up  without
knowing  the  location of these stairs,  and literally  within  a
quarter  of  an hour we were all the way  down  again.  No  sweat
(literally), so no flies.
 At least not just yet.
 Before we arrived back at the main road to Ørsta we had to  walk
for quite another distance. It was a bad road, normally only used
for lumberjacks I guess.  Hundreds of tree trunks lay piled along
the sides.  There were many flies. We quickly found out where the
flies came from - there were quite a lot of cows standing on  the
hill down. Before we knew what happened the flies has unanimously
voted us a lot more attractive than the cows.  We found ourselves
assailed  proverbally,  running in half-panic,  wildly  thrashing
around us with arms and jackets.  For hundreds of metres we  ran,
taking out dozens of flies, before they finally let us be.
 We arrived at the road.  It wasn't smelly enough to attract  any
flies, so there weren't any.
 We still had some hours left before Ronny would come to fetch us
again,  which  was probably at around 5 PM.  We decided to  start
walking  back to Ørsta already,  keeping our eyes peeled for  any
cars  containing Ronny.  There was a bit of rain,  we examined  a
small  river  with small waterfalls and explored some  of  nature
next to the road to Ørsta.
 Eventually a van came by with the dude in it.  He saw  us,  too,
turned around, and took us to Ørsta.
 It  was  to be a long day,  also consisting of quite  a  lot  of
moving. Twice we went to and fro the old place and the new place,
and it took literally ages until finally someone besides us  (and
we didn't mention it because we're too modest) thought of food.
 Ronny's new place was located at the town square,  third  floor,
overlooking the Ørstafjord and souvenir shop on one side and  the
large  super market we had already visited earlier on the  other.
It was a big improvement over their previous abode,  what with it
having  a much larger living room consisting of two parts and  it
having  two  bedrooms,  a  large separate kitchen  and  a  larger
bathroom.  On the ground floor their was a snackbar of some  kind
where they also sold pizzas.
 Anyway,  we  ate some of those pizzas at something like  11  PM.
After that,  we all spent the first night at the new address.  My
head  still ached because of the only negative thing about  their
new abode:  A rather very sturdy kind of electricity-related  box
that  was  located right around the corner of the front  door  on
one's way to the staircase,  at a height exactly right for  one's
head to be caved in by it.
 The  first  day I had three rather vicious  and  insanely  noisy
encounters with it, no doubt much to the bemusement of people who
go  around saying sayings along the lines of "where an ass  falls
he will never fall twice". Very irritating.
 The new place was a bit more noisy,  too. Whereas their previous
domicile had been in kindof a quiet suburb, the new one was smack
in the middle of downtown Ørsta.  So we had the odd macho bastard
driving a car rather spectacularly with loud house music  booming
in  the  middle of the night.  Also,  my allergy was  playing  up
again. The Holst household's cats had just caused my nose to clog
up a bit,  but this new place turned out to have been the habitat
of several cats before Ronny had moved into it. This had a rather
more violent impact on my breathing apparatus.
 Sunday  arrived and refused to go.  Sundays are always the  most
boring  days on holidays because all shops are closed and  people
are generally disposed to stay indoors a lot.
 The weather was good,  however,  so we decided to bung our books
in a small backback together with some cold tap water in an empty
Cola bottle and cookies (or something) and hike  west.  Well,  it
wasn't exactly 'hiking',  it was more something like just walking
along  the  road  west out of Ørsta along the  coastline  of  the
Ørstafjord.  Occasionally  we  would  sit  down  on  a  piece  of
protruding rock,  reading a bit and throwing rocks in the  water.
At one instant, when we hadn't even left the Ørsta town limit and
we  suddenly  found ourselves overwhelmed by the  scenery  (which
caused us to start kissing each other a lot, embraced on a cobbly
beach),  we suddenly heard Elin yelling and laughing.  We  seemed
permanently to run into her coincidentally.  Anyway,  she was  on
her way to Ronny's place to watch after Jeanette while Ronny  and
Anne-Grete were going to get some more stuff from the old house.
 We  said  goodbye and proceeded west.  We  had  probably  walked
something  like  8-10  kilometres when we  came  across  a  truly
idyllically  quaint waterfall to the north of the  road.  It  was
totally overgrown with lush green bushes, and the odd thing about
it  was that someone some time ago had deemed it a nice  idea  to
build  small stone shacks at various spots around  it,  sometimes
with  the  water rushing by wildly below them.  We tried  to  get
higher  up  but  the path that went there  wasn't  exactly  well-
trodden and, yes, there were quite a few flies again.
 We  decided  to head back.  Already Miranda was  feeling  pretty
tired,  which had gotten a lot worse by the time we came back  to
Ronny's  place to find that the house was locked and  nobody  was
home.  We sat down on the stairs and took out our books,  reading
some more and drinking some of the water we still had left. After
about ten or fifteen minutes the Hatlemark family arrived. We got
 A bit later I saw Ronny boiling water to dilute Jeanette's  milk
with, and asked him why he bothered boiled it.
 "Well,"  he  said,  "this  morning there was a  warning  in  the
papers.  The water is poisonous,  you have to boil it before  you
drink it."
 Ronny  has  a way with words.  Especially  the  'poisonous'  bit
alarmed me a bit,  although no doubt he didn't quite mean it like
it  sounded.  Miranda and me had drunk over a litre of the  stuff
that  day.  I swallowed.  That was just what we needed -  getting
poisoned  thousands of kilometres from home,  in a strange  place
where  nurses don't speak Dutch.  Luckily,  the Dutch  water  had
apparently  sufficiently prepared us for its  poisoned  Norwegian
variety. It didn't affect us at all.
 The  new place was getting pretty complete now.  All  the  vital
bits had been moved already - like the stereo, the TV and Ronny's
positively  fancy PC.  Jeanette now felt completely at ease  with
us. We read her Norwegian stories from a small book we had found,
which completely sedated her.  Elin was around,  too,  who turned
out not only to watch Jeanette often but also to be the Hatlemark
cook,   given   Ronny's  admission  that  Anne-Grete   wasn't   a
particularly  talented one.  As a matter of fact that evening  we
ate  the infamous Brennsnut,  that which made Stefan fart  a  lot
those  few  years  ago and which was at the  time  translated  as
"running nose".  Well,  it turned out to mean "burned nose",  not
even "burning nose",  let alone "running nose". Anyway, it didn't
make  anything  burn  or run,  and I didn't  even  have  to  fart
(although  my body usually produces insane amounts of gas at  the
slightest provocation).
 I  discovered that Jeanette really liked riding on a small  cart
she had - the kind that you walk into motion.  But she liked it a
lot more if I pushed her forward at a speed normally unattainable
for  her.  We really had loads of fun.  I really  love  children,
although  I do prefer playing with them only when I feel like  it
(i.e.  I  don't  feel  I'm up to having any of  'em  myself  yet,
because then you have to play with 'em literally all the time  or
 It  was  around  that instant that I  discovered  Ronny's  video
collection.  He  must have had at least 200 video  films  stacked
under  the  TV,  and browsing among them  quickly  revealed  some
interesting titles. Ronny and Anne-Grete were very busy doing all
kinds of jobs in the house - hanging curtains,  connecting lamps,
etc.  -  so they welcomed our offer to stay out of their hair  by
watching "Pretty Woman".  I had never actually seen it.  I  still
think  Julia Roberts is not the ideal  woman  (sorry,  Tim).  Her
mouth  is  way too big.  But she does have  nice  hair.  We  also
watched  "Look Who's Talking Too".  Quite  nice,  actually.  Very
 Ronny  had  in  the mean time called  Gard  Eggesbø  Abrahamsen,
formerly  known under many other illustrious names but  now  just
"Gard", and it was agreed that he'd drop by the nex day.
 Late in the morning of that next day,  Monday,  the phone  went.
Being the ill-organised person he is,  Gard had neglected to make
note of Ronny's new address and decided to call to find  out.  He
said  he was standing on the Ørsta town square opposite  a  large
supermarket.  Ronny looked outside and began to laugh.  Gard  was
calling  us  from a phone booth opposite of  where  we  were.  We
faintly saw a hazy long-haired shape utilize a phone,  but visual
details were as yet denied to us.
 A few minutes later I embraced the Ex-Minute Microbe in the hall
of Ronny's dwelling.  I hadn't seen him in years, except for some
pictures that did imply that he had changed a little (to say  the
least).  Whereas  previously he had been a cute little  boy,  any
mother's  dream,  he  was now all dressed  in  black,  wearing  a
moustache,  his  head adorned with long hair.  My  God,  I  found
myself  thinking,  the  pictures I had seen  hadn't  prepared  me
 Before I had a chance to voice my deep concern about the  dude's
future  if  he were to retain this kind of outward  appearance  -
most particularly the moustache - he put in my hands a Gift. Once
unwrapped,  it proved to be a highly educational booklet, "How to
Understand  and  Use  a  Norwegian".  I  decided  to  swallow  my
 Out of his bag came a video tape.  "O.U.C.H.  Home Vid III".  It
was slammed in the VCR and some of its bits were played. Although
some  of them were startlingly boring,  some other passages  were
totally  awesome:  One where Gard entered in some sort of  school
variety  thing where he started headbanging on the stage and  got
clubbered with a baseball bat,  and especially one part where the
viewer  got to see the "We Are Norwegians" song video  clip.  The
word "semi-professional" sprang to mind.  I immediately asked him
whether he could finally get me a copy soon.  After all,  he  had
been promising to send me a copy for about half a year already.
 "Yes," he said, confidently.
 At  the  time of my writing this,  about two weeks  before  this
issue of ST NEWS will be finished (i.e.  beginning of October)  I
have yet to receive it. But I trust you already felt that coming.
 Late  in the afternoon,  after I had made some additional  group
photographies,  Gard went back to Ålesund again. When would I see
him again? In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
 By the time Gard left, the shops had already closed. Miranda and
me joined Elin to go and get some food and drink at the Shell Gas
Station.  On  the way there we crossed the Esso lot where we  had
lit  fireworks some years ago.  Nice memories  hurled  themselves
back at my mind.  Car dating was still pretty much in vogue here,
with about twenty cars standing in twos or threes,  windows wound
down, people chatting merrily.
 This car dating thing never ceases to amaze me. New cars joined,
other went.  Probably, a sociology student could graduate on this
subject,  provided it was studied properly.  We met  Anne-Grete's
brother there,  car-dating.  We had seen him before, too, when he
had lent a helping hand during the moving procedures.
 Did you know that Elin actually met her current boyfriend  while
car-dating? No?
 Well,  Elin  told  us  that she had  actually  met  het  current
boyfriend  while  car-dating.  I  think  car-dating  is  a  vital
ingredient  of  Norwegian social life,  a part  of  an  intricate
evolutionary scheme without which the Norwegians as a race  would
die out hopelessly.
 Again,  Elin  cooked  for  us.  This time we  ate  at  a  record
lateness, 1 AM. It was a pretty huge amount of spaghetti, and the
fluids still start running in my mouth when I think back of it. I
like eating a lot.  I like spaghetti a lot.  I like other  people
cooking for me. This was perfect.
 Tuesday was spent doing things I can't remember much  of.  Ronny
and Anne-Grete were busy most of the day, Jeanette was at someone
else's place for a few hours and the weather was really bad so we
couldn't  do  anything outside.  I fingered  through  Ronny's  CD
collection,  now  really discovering that he had  changed  rather
more than I had thought.  Anne-Grete's influences were clear. The
only  two CD's among them that I liked were "...And  Justice  for
All" and Vangelis' "Direct",  which I took the liberty to slam in
the CD player.
 In the evening Ronny and Anne-Grete took us out for  dinner.  It
was  delayed quite a bit because two of the other people  we  had
met in 1988/1989, Ole J. Ose and Morten Ose, were supposed to pay
a short visit before. As it turned out they never appeared, which
was really a disappointment. Well, too bad. Eventually we went to
this  cosy eating place that Ronny knew,  and had something  like
Norwegian  cuisine with a Norwegian beer.  Ronny paid  the  bill,
which  was  awfully nice of him as we were kinda running  out  of
cash  and  we still had to pay for several  reservations  in  the
trains back.
 When  we  came back we found Elin,  her  boyfriend  and  another
friend of theirs watching "The Best of the Best II" on video.  It
was a pathetically bad fighting film,  really sad. We went to bed
before  they started watching "A Few Good Men" (I'd  rather  have
had them watch that first),  saying goodbye to our lovely hostess
Anne-Grete  because chances would probably be tiny of us  meeting
her the morning after, when we would leave for home again.
 Wednesday morning,  July 14th 1993, Anne-Grete indeed turned out
to have gone off to work before we got up.  We packed our  stuff,
once more pervaded by the "goodbye" feeling we all hate.  We went
to the supermarket again to buy some Cola and stuff,  including a
one-litre  bucket of delicious Norwegian strawberry Jam  (Jørdbær
Siltetøy).  When we had finished packing, late in the morning, we
stepped in Ronny's car, casting a last glance at Ørsta.
 Although Andalsnes,  the town with a railway station nearest  to
Ørsta,  was  actually  quite  close to Ørsta,  the  fact  that  a
mountain sat somewhere in the middle made it a rather longer  and
nerve-racking journey.  Thankfully, Ronny was the nice guy he was
and  decided  to bring us there by car instead of  us  having  to
undertake a bus journey through Moa that would have taken up even
more time.
 Nerve-racking  the journey was nonetheless.  Ronny seemed  tired
and  his driving style was,  at best,  slightly having a  reverse
effect  on  my  entire digestive system.  He dropped  us  off  at
Andalsnes  well in time,  after an almost three-hour  car  drive.
After a brief visit to the toilet and a hug or two,  Ronny, First
of the Nutties, drove off again. With a hint of sadness I saw the
back of his Granada disappear behind a corner.
 During our stay he had mentioned coming to Holland next year  or
the year after. I was already looking forward to it.
 We  spent our time waiting by attempting to remain up-wind of  a
travelling couple who had probably spent as long a holiday as  we
had with the difference that they had probably not showered once.
They ponged most seriously.
 At 16:15 the train from Andalsnes left for Dombas. I had already
taken out "It" again (I was progressing nicely,  not quite  half-
way  yet)  but  in the end I left it lying  on  the  small  train
tablette  all  the time because of the sheer  brilliance  of  the
views we got offered. For two hours we travelled along gorges and
river valleys the likes of which I had never seen before. Awesome
views hit our eyes every few kilometres,  and at times the  train
would  move closely to wildly onrushing  waterfalls.  These  last
impressions  of Norway were among the most beautiful I  had  ever
seen.  I  spent  most  of my time proclaiming  "Ooh"  and  "Aah",
getting  irritated because of the fact that the train was  mostly
filled  with natives who wouldn't have cared less had  they  been
driven through hell.
 People  constantly exposed to beauty eventually get  blinded  by
it.  For  once I was glad that the Netherlands are as  plain  and
boring as they are.
 The train arrived at Dombas about fifteen or twenty minutes  too
late,  but thankfully this wasn't much of a problem as the  train
to  Oslo  (via a lot of towns,  including  Winter  Olympics  City
Lillehammer) had an even bigger delay. The scenery that flowed by
was already getting a lot less impressive. Then again, just about
any piece of scenery would pale miserably in comparison with  the
Rauma and Lagen river valleys we had gazed upon earlier that day.
 We arrived at Oslo even much more too late.  We had to run,  our
backs  being  wrecked  by  their  packs,   to  make  it  to   the
(originally) 22:40 train to København. It had waited for the Oslo
train to arrive, but didn't take long to leave. It was vital that
we got on it, and we were glad we did.
 In the mean time the weather had worsened.  It was dark  outside
and  the rain lashed against the windows.  Even nature  sometimes
has a sense of drama.
 Couchettes had been sortof sold out. All we could do was attempt
to get some sleep on the chairs we had been assigned.  They could
be  tilted  back a bit,  but they were the kind of  chairs  where
sleeping would result in pained necks and backs in the morning. I
barely  slept,  as  usual,  though Miranda once  more  seemed  to
succeed miraculously.  There was a guy with a guitar around,  but
despite  a girl begging him to help her bring the whole lot in  a
partying mood he decided not to pluck the strings.  Had he  asked
me to, I would have kissed his feet.
 The  train entered Sweden unnoticed,  the rain abating  after  a
while and the blackness outside gently transforming to dark  blue
and,  eventually,  the daylight of dawn.  I had read all night  -
"It" was brilliant and almost made me forget that I hadn't  slept
at all. All people around me were asleep peacefully.
 Somewhere during the night the water aboard the train must  have
run out.  I couldn't refresh myself and the toilet,  stuffed with
grey  paper,  couldn't  be flushed either.  The whole  thing  was
beginning  to look really primitive.  The train had in  the  mean
time arrived at Helsingborg again,  where a short boat trip  took
us to Denmark,  accompanied by the sound of gulls and a fair  bit
of snoring.
 While  on  the ship people started waking up.  Most  of  them  -
including  ourselves  - had to get out  at  København,  where  we
eventually arrived at 08:20 in the morning.
 We  exchanged quite a bit of the Norwegian Kroner we  still  had
left  and  had  a  few great  warm  ham'n'cheese  sandwiches  for
breakfast. København Central Station was being renovated so there
wasn't much to see.  We had a look outside to see if perhaps this
Rodin  Mermaid statuette thingy was anywhere near but  it  turned
out  not  to.  So we got back and reserved some tickets  for  the
Danish  train  to Hamburg and the German train we would  have  to
take after that,  to Osnabrück again.  All of this went smoothly,
even though people at the ticket desks turned out usually to tend
to  underestimate the reservation prices you have to pay once  on
the train.
 The  train to Hamburg,  the EC 191 that left at 09:20,  was  the
most  luxurious  train  we  had ever  been  in.  It  was  totally
computer-controlled  or  something,  with  the  ticket  collector
walking around with some kind of computer enabling him to program
the  displays  above the chairs which specified  the  travellers'
source and destination stations. Impressive. Besides that, it was
a  really  silent  train where we sat  excellently  until  a  few
Germans  ('s Germans again) went to sit opposite us  and
took away most of our leg space.
 Miranda  and  me  were both  quite  knackered.  We  couldn't  be
buggered  to complain and instead just read and ate some  of  the
biscuits  and  stuff we had bought at  København,  drinking  Cola
 At 14:29 the train arrived at Hamburg,  leaving us with a little
less  than  20  minutes  in which to grab the  IC  527  train  to
Osnabrück.  Uneventfulness  struck again,  which we mostly  spent
reading.  I  was beginning to think I might actually be  able  to
finish "It" that day.
 We usually have problems when travelling.  Something goes  wrong
somewhere.  So,  too,  this time.  In Osnabrück the train to  the
Netherlands  turned  out to have a major delay (I  think  it  was
about three quarters of an hour) which would cause us to miss the
connecting train at Hengelo (in the Netherlands). Well, this kind
of thing can be survived on the way back, so we did.
 Some  kind  of German retard started talking to  Miranda  -  she
always  has that sort of thing happening to her - and I guess  we
were  both glad to see the back of him when he went into  another
train,  having  not succeeded in convincing us to go wherever  he
wanted to go.
 From  the moment we boarded the train to Hengelo the end of  our
voyage was drawing near. To signify this end closing in the whole
thing became even more boring. "It" got finished, and we got home
at  about 10 PM.  At the instant we crossed the threshold to  our
abode  all sleepiness dropped off of us and we spent another  few
hours sifting through the gathered pile of mail before we finally
closed  off the holiday,  July 15th,  by hitting the sack we  had
wanted to hit ever since we'd left Kai's place.


 To  wrap up this article I would like to dedicate this issue  of
ST  NEWS to our hospitable and generous hosts - the Holst  family
and Ronny Hatlemark and Anne Grete Masdal.  You have given us the
opportunity to enjoy your lovely country in the only way students
can  afford to,  and food was both good and plentiful.  You  guys

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.