Skip to main content
? Echelon

 "Q: Why did the blonde tip-toe past the medicine cabinet?
  A: So she wouldn't wake up the sleeping pills."

                      by Richard Karsmakers

Entombed - Het Paard, The Hague, May 22nd 1993

 Originally  the previous issue of ST NEWS was to be released  in
this  weekend.  As I didn't want to miss this only Dutch  concert
for  anything,  the release of that issue was rescheduled to  one
week  earlier.  I had seen Entombed before at the Gods  of  Grind
tour  of  April  last  year,  where  they  played  together  with
Confessor,  Cathedral and Carcass.  To me they had been the best,
so  I definitely wanted to see them again should they  come  back
and honour us with more than only 45 minutes.
 So  I went to Het Paard,  a youth centre at about five  minutes'
distance from The Hague Central Station (by car or tram),  with a
couple of fellow Utrecht Entombed fans. It seems the gig was sold
out. By the time Entombed started playing, at 22:15, the club was
packed solid with all kinds of people of the long-haired-T-shirt-
wearing-Heavy-Metal persuasion.  It was a bit of a surprise  that
Entombed  started playing right away,  as a support act had  been
scheduled,  called Sleep. Apparently they hadn't woken up at all,
so Entombed kicked off instead.  In the 60 minutes that  followed
they played all their 'hits': "Stranger Aeons", "Revel in Flesh",
"Sinners Bleed",  "Crawl",  "Hollowman" and "Serpent Speech" (the
latter two off their recent "Hollowman" EP) and a lot more that I
can't  recall.  They  also  played a new song  (to  be  on  their
forthcoming   album)  which  sounded  good  and  with   unusually
innovative (or at least different) drumming.
 We  were right up front at the stage,  almost in a  position  to
play  the bass guitar ourselves.  There were lots of people  that
used me to get on the stage, various other beings crashed into me
when  diving off the stage.  Sweat gushed off my  body,  my  head
banged  more  than  it  had ever banged before  (I  had  taken  a
prophilactic headache pill - worked great!). My entire body ached
and,  thus,  I generally had a superb time.  I yelled some of the
lyrics as loud as I could and flipped out utterly. It was warfare
up front,  survival of the fittest.  My eyes stung from the sweat
that flowed freely in them,  my face was covered with long  hairs
that had fallen off the severely banging heads of various flyers-
by, Lars Rosenberg (bass) and Lars-Göran Petrov (vocals).
 The  concert's climax,  as usual,  was their classic "Left  Hand
Path",  one  of  the very best death metal songs  ever  recorded.
During the slow bit I literally bodybanged,  perfectly in  rhythm
with both Lars and Lars-Göran who stood at less than a meter from
me  doing  very  much the same.  I felt the wind  of  their  hair
whiplash my face.  This is so much better than those big concerts
where  one  has  this much-too-large distance  between  band  and
 Unfortunately  "Left Hand Path" turned out also to be  the  last
song.  They  had  played  for about an hour when  they  took  off
without even coming back for an encore.
 Nonetheless  I  can't  wait for their  next  full-length  album,
"Wolverine Blues".

Dynamo Open Air - Eindhoven Airport, May 29th & 30th 1993

 The first day: Nudeswirl, Fear Factory, Freak of Nature, Dweezil
Zappa,  Monster Magnet, Biohazard, Mindfunk, Suicidal Tendencies,

 Together  with  about  a dozen  other  members  of  "V.I.R.U.S."
(~"Society  of Intensely Rocking Utrecht Students") I  left  from
Utrecht  Central Station at 11:00.  Eindhoven is in the South  of
the  Netherlands,  at  about  an hour's  distance  by  train.  At
Eindhoven  Central  Station  the gathering  of  metalfolk  became
obvious.  In buses bursting with people we wore hoarded  together
at  about a fifteen minutes' drive outside of town,  at the  Army
part of Eindhoven Airport. Immediately the immensity of the whole
thing  became  obvious.  Hundreds  of  tents  where  people  (and
Germans) had camped the night were littered everywhere. Even more
hundreds  of cars,  some with booted feet  sticking  out,  people
lying in the trunk, people making out on roofs. If ever I've seen
something  that  made  me  think  of  Woodstock,   this  was  it.
Everywhere was the scent of grass,  and already beer cans lay all
over  the place.  From the festival site came the sounds of  Fear
Factory that had just started playing.
 The sun was quite burning hot,  even though the weather man  had
only predicted 18 degrees Celcius with quite a substantial chance
of rain.  We joined the flow towards one of the  entrances.  Some
people had ghettoblasters playing Pantera and Metallica,  some of
which were crying along with the lyrics. The atmosphere was quite
awesome,  with  the exception of some early drunkards  that  were
trying to break down a fence.  It's people like that that give us
metalfolk a bad name. "Scheiße" I heard him yell as he kicked the
fence once more.
 Did  you  know that the entire two days of the Dynamo  Open  Air
festival only set you back 10 Dutch guilders?
 Once inside Fear Factory had almost finished.  We had lost  some
of the people with whom we had come so we waited a  while,  after
which  we  sought a more or less conventient patch  of  grass  to
settle  on.  Beer was brought,  bags were piled,  and  the  first
couple  of  people went to the front to see what the  next  band,
Freak of Nature,  would be like.  It's the band formed around ex-
White Lion Mike Tramp.  What we got was almost fourty minutes  of
cliché  powerrock.  I  just waited (too long) for the  next  act,
Dweezil Zappa, to come.
 I secured a spot right up front to the right, and really enjoyed
Dweezil  and his band playing.  He had brought along his  brother
Ahmet,  who  is  probably the most zany singer one  can  witness.
There  is  no way to describe the stuff he does  on  stage,  it's
worse than a clown and he just had me laughing most of the  time.
Dweezil himself is quite a brilliant guitarist and the songs were
unusual  but  good (I guess that's about as Dweezil  as  you  can
describe things). They ended with what I estimated was fifteen or
twenty  minutes of medleying.  Showing amazing craftsmanship  and
timing, all five band members must have played at least a hundred
short  riffs  and other recognitable bits tied together  in  what
cannot  be described as being anything other than totally  freaky
and awesomely brilliant.  It varied from John Lennon to Lou Reed,
Black Sabbath to Deep Purple, Casey and the Sunshine Band to just
about any other band you'd care to mention.  Dozens of  different
styles combined in a smooth whole.  I decided I would have to  go
and see Dweezil play as main act one day soon.  Ahmet parted from
us saying "I will think of you always when I'm washing my anus."
 Next  was Monster Magnet.  Totally overhyped if you  ask  me.  I
wasn't right up front but what I heard didn't convince me of  the
supposed ingeniosity of their main man, David Wyndorf.
 The  time had progressed to about 17:00 when  Biohazard  entered
the stage. I had heard of wild shows so I decided not quite to go
to  the front and instead went to stand just in front of  the  PA
tower.  I  shouldn't  have done that.  As soon as the  stage  was
filled  by about a dozen wildly jumping groupies the entire  mass
of people in the front started jumping,  banging and  moshing,  a
process  for which one needs about twice or three times  as  much
space  as when standing.  As all people were packed tight  dozens
went  down.  The PA tower was besieged by bodies pressed  against
the steel grating.  It gave way and got totally torn and bent  as
people  got  pushed through and dozens more went  down.  I  could
barely  remain upright.  PA tower security started to try to  get
the  fence  back up but failed.  I went around the tower  to  the
back,  having a particular desire to leave the event unharmed.  I
believe some people were seriously wounded. That fence was really
sturdily built. Biohazard continued relentlessly. From the back I
witnessed the enormous party that was going on in the  front.  In
retrospect I think Biohazard was probably the most partying band,
even beating Suicidal Tendencies.
 Anyway, I used the next band, Mind Funk, as a point of relief to
help  my digestion to have something to do.  The hamburger I  ate
was better than McDonald's,  the pizza I shared with a friend was
much  too  small  and  consisted  only  of  something  that   was
unmistakably  barely edible cardboard with lukewarm tomato  sauce
and half-molten cheese.  Good thing I could also have a few beers
to wash it all down.
 I  decided  to be smart with Suicidal Tendencies.  Go  quite  up
front but not with the PA tower in the back.  No show. As soon as
the  first  beats hit the audience people  started  flipping  out
utterly  so I had to retreat to the back again.  They had  kicked
off  with  "You  Can't  Bring  me  Down",  probably  an  audience
favourite.  I was feeling pretty bad, what with me not yet really
having  shared any of the heated atmosphere right in  the  front,
banging  my  head off and sweating prodigally and  that  sort  of
thing.  But it would have to wait until the next day. Even before
Anthrax  started  I  went back in order to get  the  last  direct
train. Too bad, really, because I really dig Anthrax.
 Buses  back to Eindhoven Central Station were totally  difficult
to  get too.  People wanted to get away by car,  some other  cars
were just driving by,  and it was total and other chaos.  Luckily
five of us found a cab,  so the share fare was affordable  enough
to opt for that means of transportations (uncomfortable though it
was what with four people sitting in the back).

 The second day: Wool, Kong, Fudge Tunnel, Gorefest, Annihilator,
Trouble and Mercyful Fate.

 The second day started off a bit later,  and I stayed in bed  at
home  long enough to get to Eindhoven right in time to see  Kong.
Peaceville had sent me their "Phlegm" CD to refute my  statements
made  in  ST NEWS Volume 7 Issue 3  regarding  Whistler  Courbois
Whistler  being the prime European  Instrumental  band.  Although
Kong are quite capable and probably more innovative than  WCW,  I
still  think  WCW are technically more capable (and  of  quite  a
different style altogether), but let's not start all that.
 I  had barely procured a spot right in the front,  photo  camera
ready,  when  Kong started playing.  There were only a couple  of
dozen people who really went into it;  the rest just bobbed their
heads  a  bit.  Instrumental music is always quite  difficult  to
really  flip out on,  but Kong had a lot of rhythm so it's  quite
easy. The enormous crowd supplied the required anonimity so there
I went.  Apparently they were making a video clip there, for some
dude  was  running  around  doing  artistic  shots  of  the  four
musicians that were for once gathered on one stage (normally they
play quadrophonically,  from four corners of a concert hall).  If
you ever see a bespectacled chap with a WCW cap and a "VIRUS"  T-
shirt in a Kong video,  it's me.  He made quite a lot of shots of
me  because  I  did quite a bit of proper air  drumming  and  air
guitar  playing,  and  I generally seemed to be the  most  active
audience member right up front within view of the camera  eye.  I
think Kong can rightly be justified as quite a sensation the  way
they  performed.  Especially  the last song (was it  the  end  of
"Pulse"?)  really  brought the crowd into an  almost  involuntary
frenzy.  I  was  as if the music had been written  just  to  push
everyone's vital buttons. Even those who had hitherto just bobbed
their  heads  lazily  now lifted up  their  hands.  The  roar  of
audience  appreciation was tremendous.  I don't think  Kong  will
ever  experience something like it again,  what with  them  being
more sortof a band that performs in front of a couple of  hundred
people  at the most.  The approximately 60,000  metallunatics  at
Dynamo Open Air were quite another cup of tea altogether.  I  was
glad   they   played  some  of  my  favourite   "Phlegm"   songs,
"Stockhouse" and "Pulse".
 Peaceville's Dinger had told me Kong was to perform on June  5th
in  Utrecht.  Another  band I would have to check out  in  detail
 I used the next band,  Fudge Tunnel,  to go to Europe's  Biggest
Metal  Market that had also been built just outside the  festival
space.  There I bought a very good Paradise Lost bootleg CD  (off
their  "Gothic"  tour)  and  another rather  good  one  from  Joe
Satriani's "The Extremist" tour.  No My Dying Bride bootlegs yet,
but these two were worth going to the Metal Market for alone.
 I  returned  just in time to see them do  their  ritual  guitar-
throwing and smashing bit.  Quite childish;  exactly the kind  of
stuff I would have flipped out on about a decade ago.
 After Fudge Tunnel came Gorefest, one of the very best Dutch (if
not one of the best European) Death Metal bands.  This time I was
right  up  front against the barrier and I was about  to  have  a
great time when the moshing frenzy started. I found myself unable
to move because people were standing on my shoelaces that  seemed
to  have found ways of untying themselves.  Like a  proper  sissy
(eternal shame heaped itself on my already sunburnt and boot-worn
neck and shoulders) I had to get the security lift me out of  the
mosh as there was no way to escape otherwise.
 A bit later I got back,  this time with my shoelaces tied better
and the ends tucked back in my shoes.  It was too late to  really
get  into  the frenzy because Gorefest didn't actually  play  for
very  long.  I have to say that Gorefest is actually pretty  damn
excellent.  Especially their bass-drumming technique is great.  I
decided to harrass a fellow "VIRUS" member a bit more to lend  me
her latest Gorefest CD,  "False" (later I would also get the "The
Eindhoven  Insanity"  CD,  a most excellent live CD  recorded  at
Dynamo, released by Nuclear Blast).
 Next  was Annihilator,  the band that Stefan and  me  discovered
when  Steve Bak brought us to a surprise metal gig in  Nottingham
during  the 1989 "LateST NEWS Quest".  They have changed  singers
twice  and  each  time this was accompanied  by  a  progressively
worsening album.  They appeared to be doing a live recording and,
although  their recent material didn't really excite  me,  I  did
flip  out quite totally on "Alison Hell" and "Never Never  Land".
Annihilator,  I think, played less than the time that was alotted
to them, which I thought was a bit of a shame.
 Penultimate  band  on  the '93 edition of Dynamo  Open  Air  was
Trouble.  Time for some late junkfood acquisition (by now it  was
around  19:00),  for  I had no particular desire to  get  damaged
while  listening to a band of which the music is described  as  a
cross  between  the Beatles and Black  Sabbath.  The  last  band,
Mercyful Fate,  my utter festival favourite,  would probably need
all my last remaining energy.
 When Trouble played a cover of Black Sabbath's "Children of  the
Grave" I headed to the front again.  It took literally ages until
Mercyful  Fate started.  Trouble had ended before their time  and
Mercyful  Fate started over a quarter of an hour late.  But  when
they  started they really started.  The upside down cross on  the
stage,  King Diamond's microphone mounted on a cross made of  two
bones,  it was all complete.  Mercyful Fate had been disbanded in
the  mid eighties and now they were back like they  were  before,
with  the exception of their drummer who was now Snowy Shaw  (who
had played on the latest King Diamond solo album, "The Eye").
 It  became  a  huge  ritual,   starting  off  with  the  Satanic
Incantations known from "The Oath",  with grown men crying  along
in absurdly high voices to keep up with King Diamond. Divers flew
to  and fro in such intensity that I had to ask the  security  to
put  my glasses somewhere safe (I hate those  f*@king  glasses!).
Sometimes the divers would come two thick, and for some reason or
other their army boots all scraped along my severly sunburnt neck
(poor  me).  I spent most time screaming along those bits of  the
lyrics I recalled,  fending off the divers and trying to catch  a
hazy  glimpse of what was going on through the wall  of  security
people who seemed to consider it necessary to lift everyone  over
the  barrier  (and  over me) who seemed even  vaguely  intent  on
diving. Their best songs caressed the multiple thousands eardrums
present,  from  a medley of earliest EP songs to  "Satan's  Fall"
(classic!),  from  "Curse of the Pharaoh" to two songs off  their
forthcoming  new album (called "Egypt" and "Shadows").  King  got
off  the  stage into the press ditch and I even got a  chance  to
shake  his  hand  before the two  encores  ("Black  Funeral"  and
"Evil")  were  history and the many thousands metal fans  had  to
find  their  way  back home again.  Even  many  Germans  shouting
"Zugabe,  Zugabe" didn't get them back on stage for a third  time
(I  find  it  amazing that all  the  world's  concert  audiences,
including   the   non-English   ones,    cry   the    universally
understandable "We Want More" whereas the Germans seem to  insist
on "Zugabe, Zugabe" - just shows to tell, really).
 As  I  had stayed until the very end this time the  last  direct
train to Utrecht had left already. Indeed I was barely in time at
Eindhoven Central to catch the Rotterdam train, where I could get
onto the nightnet (that went via The Hague and Amsterdam  finally
to Utrecht).
 After  over  four  hours in a train with  virtually  nothing  to
drink, too little clothes on and no place to extend myself for an
attempt at a nap,  I arrived at Utrecht at around 04:00.  When  I
came  back home again the eastern sky was already  growing  light
 Goodbye, biorhythm.

Kong - Ekko, Utrecht, June 5th 1993

 In  the  weekend of June 5th and 6th I had to  finish  all  five
masters of the "Ultimate Virus Killer". Going to a concert on the
evening of the 5th was a totally necessary thing. I had seen Kong
at Dynamo and had been quite amazed at their music.  Now I had to
go  and  see  it  in close-up,  see  Kong  in  true  quadrophonic
splendour  perform  in a small club where only about  100  people
would fit in as opposed to almost 60,000.
 I went with a couple of friends,  about half of them members  of
the society that should by now be known to you,  "VIRUS". Ekko is
a small and cosy place and when I glanced into the actual concert
hall I saw that the three additional stages allowed perfect sound
distribution  and audience contact.  Whereas at first  the  place
seemed to fill itself rather slowly it actually got quite full in
the end.  They also sold Witte Raaf beer there, which is probably
the  best so-called white beer around (as opposed  to  Dentergems
and, most certainly, Hoegaarden).
 At  about  22:00  AM  they  started  playing.  Slightly  changed
versions  of most of their album material caressed  the  multiple
eardrums and,  possibly, the odd hearing aid. They played quite a
bit more than they had done at Dynamo,  and most rightly so. When
they stopped at about 23:30 they had played all of their best and
had  come back twice to play a total of three  extra  songs.  The
second encore was not as good as the first,  probably because the
first  included  "Stockhouse"  which is  actually  pretty  darned
 I made some good pictures and ensured the acquisition of a  drum
stick and a plectrum of each of the guitarists.  After the gig  I
stuck  around  for a while and succeeded in talking for  a  while
with the guitar/keyboard man,  Dirk de Vries.  He told me a  next
album may be expected early 1994, and that is was delayed quite a
bit  because they were yet trying to sort out a record deal -  it
wasn't  even  certain that their third album  would  be  released
through Peaceville like was the case with their material so  far.
Their  new  album will be in the same vein -  instrumental  heavy
dance metal rock something.  Prior to that,  sortof an EP will be
released  with dance versions of Kong songs made by other  people
(not the sort of stuff I'd be interested in, I guess).
 All in all, Kong was quite an experience. Although they seem not
to   have  the  concept  of  "audience  interaction"   in   their
vocabulary,  they  once more succeeded in transforming a host  of
people  that  had barely heard their name before  into  a  rather
wildy  banging/dancing/flipping  crowd.   When  I  came  home   I
immediately  sat down to write this.  It is now 01:26,  July  6th
1993.  I  have  a night of deep sleep ahead  of  me,  induced  by
copious quantities of Witte Raaf,  followed by what will probably
be quite an intense day of finishing off "Ultimate Virus  Killer"
version 5.9.
 Perhaps I'll survive.

Dweezil Zappa ("Z") - Tivoli, Utrecht, June 20th 1993

 When I walked into Tivoli I was once more reminded of the  small
hall's  intimate setup.  I had seen Mucky Pup play it some  years
ago,  which  was perhaps too intimate as there was no way to  get
around  the  enormous mass of people who just party  through  the
night and dive off stages.
 Not so with this gig. I haven't seen one stage diver, and I have
to  admit it was somewhat of a relief with Dynamo Open Air  still
fresh in mind.
 At  21:15 it was opened by a Rotterdam instrumental guitar  band
called Peter Magnee,  that played for about half an hour.  Though
the guitarist yet has to learn about facial expressions and  that
sort of thing he was quite good actually,  even though the  sound
was  way  to loud (as usual at Tivoli).  Per  Magnee's  music  is
sortof  a  cross  between  Mads  Eriksen  and  Whistler  Courbois
Whistler  (which  is an interesting blend,  since these  two  are
blends themselves).
 Anyway,  at  22:15 "Z" started.  They played virtually the  same
songs  as  at Dynamo Open Air,  though this time there  was  more
space for fun, improvisation and general in-between bullshit. The
infamous medley was succeeded by sortof a stage play where  Ahmet
did  the  acting and the rest of the band did  the  sounds  (very
funny in quite a zany way),  after which the medley continued for
another  while.  It was easily recognizable that  Dweezil's  main
guitar influence stemmed from Eddie van Halen;  many of the songs
that  were played were interluded by cover  bits,  amongst  which
were  Van Halen's "Unchained" and "Sunday Afternoon in the  Park"
(yes,  the  current Michael Anthony bass solo  bit).  Metallica's
"Sad but True",  interestingly,  was used for an intro purpose as
well.  A  quite impressive song that I could not recall from  the
Dynamo Open Air gig was called "Perfect Guitar" (or something), a
long and excellent guitar instrumental.
 The audience was weird.  Except for about a dozen die-hard  fans
(who  seemed mostly to have originated from Frank Zappian  times)
and  about two dozen moderately interested people such as  myself
the audience mainly consisted of people that excelled in  bobbing
their heads dully and applauding dutifully when required.
 Nonetheless  they  came  back for an encore  that  consisted  of
several  songs,  one  of which was the "Perfect Guitar"  bit  and
another  one  of which was a song that I don't know by  name  but
that has Ahmet singing at his best.
 It  was  difficult  to get a guitar pick  as  Dweezil  generally
didn't  throw  them into the audience but  instead  dropped  them
around  him on the stage.  The roadies seemed reluctant  to  hand
them out,  but nonetheless I procured one. A bass guitar pick was
another asset I could manage to get off with.
 My collection of guitar picks is getting impressive.

 Note:  Naive childish bragging alert ahead!  I have guitar picks
now  of Cyril Whistler (*),  Yngwie Malmsteen,  Dave (bassist  of
Mucky Pup),  Terry Carter and Jay Abbene (who are with  Wratchild
America but who played with Dawn Crosby in the Fear of God gigs I
saw  last year (*)),  the guitarist and the bassist  of  Raggende
Manne  (I don't know their names,  actually  (*)),  Joe  Satriani
(well,   it's  actually  Miranda's),   singer/guitarist  of   God
Dethroned (*), Aldo Sprenger and Dirk de Vries (both guitarist of
Kong (*)), Peter Magnee (*) and Dweezil Zappa and his bass player
(*  denotes that the pick was played with for the entire  concert
on  which I got it).  I have signatures of Joe  Satriani,  Yngwie
Malmsteen, all members of My Dying Bride, Dawn Crosby (of Fear of
God),  all members of Whistler Courbois Whistler,  Bernd  Steidl,
all members of Donor,  Dave Mustaine (ex-Metallica, now Megadeth)
and Jason Becker (Cacophony).  I have a drum stick of the drummer
of Wrathchild America (again when he played for Fear of God  (*))
and Rob Smits (drummer of Kong (*)).
 End of naive childish ego-boosting session.

Whistler Bijlsma Whistler - Plaspop, Arnhem, August 14th 1993

 After I had heard the news of bass player Barend Courbois having
left Whistler Courbois Whistler I was quite eager to see the band
play with a new bass player and,  possibly, with their new singer
(yes,  they were working on stuff with lyrics).  As it  was,  the
band  that Miranda and me saw in the Arnhem drizzle was  Whistler
Bijlsma  Whistler  (or just Whistler for short)  with  a  totally
instrumental  set,  except  for quite a lot of  bull-shitting  in
between songs.  The new bass player turned out to be Jan Bijlsma,
founder  of  the defunct Dutch hardrock band  Vengeance.  He  was
clearly  - and almost embarassingly - less capable a bass  player
than  Barend,  but has more of the typical stage personality  one
normally sees with bands the likes of Bon Jovi.  I guess he'll do
well with the girly fans,  but I reckon the time that people will
stop chanting slogans along the lines of "we want Barend, we want
Barend" is still far away.
 The  set that got poured over the in-drizzle audience was  short
and not devoid of faults.  There was quite a bit of a bass fuckup
that  took at least three minutes to fix - something technical  I
presume. Nonetheless we got a drum solo within the short allotted
time - that I would rather have heard "Fata Morgana" instead  of.
We  even  got a totally insignificant but thankfully  short  bass
solo.  I  guess  everybody missed Barend then.  Only  "Joey"  got
played off their first album - not even "Hurry for the Curry" and
"Fata Morgana",  and I had already learned to live with the  fact
that   they  no  longer  seem  to  want  to   play   "Elephants".
"Commitments",  "Compendium  Maleficarum",  "No  Lyrics  Allowed"
(with  a rather excellent and certainly very flashy  guitar  solo
improvisation  bit),   "Reltsih  W.   Rhapsody",  "Co.Br.A."  and
"Prayers  in  the  Garden"  (where  the  whole  two-hands-on-the-
fretboard bass bit was done by Cyril Whistler because Jan  seemed
unable to do it) is what we got instead.  Not even "Desert Storm"
(definitely   the  most  powerful  track  off  "Privilege")   and
"Bangkok",  their habitual encore.  Too short,  and sadly lacking
some  of  the most poignant songs.  Cyril's  guitar  play  seemed
sloppy, too. Many of the faster runs were transformed into one of
his typical tremolo-bending sound effects.  Still  excellent,  of
course, but not quite the stuff I know he can do.
 When we went home we felt a bit dissatisfied, even though in the
end  I  procured another guitar pick to add to  my  ever  growing
collection.  I  caught myself thinking I was glad it had  been  a
free concert.

Anathema - Dynamo, Eindhoven, October 16th 1993

 This  was one concert I was seriously looking forward  to.  Ever
since  Peaceville's  Dinger  had set me on  the  right  track  by
sending  their  debut CD,  I had continously grown to  like  this
band.  Anathema is a band in the vein of My Dying Bride but their
music is more,  well,  transcendental and sad,  almost infinitely
and  profoundly sad.  I think it has something to do  with  minor
chords and the lack of up-tempo material.  The lyrics are usually
about tears,  promises,  death, sleep and love (to name but a few
 Upon our arrival (I went together with Joris,  another member of
the Society of Intensely Rocking Utrecht Students) we headed  for
the merchandise booth.  Due to Dynamo being a small venue, prices
were accordingly. Shelling out 25 Guilders for a T-shirt is a lot
more  realistic  rather  than 40 or 45 Guilders  at  the  biggest
venues (let alone 60 Guilders for a  longsleeve!).  Anyway,  upon
inquiring whether perhaps any Peaceville chaps were  present,  it
turned out that one of my Peaceville contact persons indeed was -
Andy Turner.  It also turned out to be possible to meet the  band
backstage,  to the considerable excitement of Joris and myself. I
had brought their CD and biro along,  together with a  camera.  I
made some pictures of me and Joris with the band,  we got our  CD
inlays signed (and supplied with some impromptu moustaches,  ears
and tears) and had a little chat.
 They were actually rather cheerful guys, on the contrary to what
their music would suggest.  Darren (vocals),  who claimed to have
an ST at home,  even told me he sometimes buys ST NEWS and thinks
it's  a  good read.  He's probably got us mixed up  with  another
magazine,  but if not then it's jolly nice to know he likes  what
we do.  He also told me they'll be hitting the studio in  January
and/or March,  with their second CD due out in April 1994. Surely
a date I'll be looking forward to.
 By the time we got into the actual concert hall, the support act
(a local band by the name of Pathology) had already started.  The
sound  was  cranked up insanely loud,  but way up  front  it  was
managable,  the PA spilling forth most of the audio further  into
the small hall. Pathology plays thrash, I guess, and was quite OK
though quite cliché.  They had a female singer and two songs (one
of  which  I believe was called "Peace Cock") had  a  male  guest
vocalist.  Plenty of enthusiasm there.  They played for something
like  three quarters of an hour,  followed by a break.  At  about
22:20 Anathema began.
 Already the stage had been enriched by multiple burning  candles
and sticks of incense. They walked on stage and started off about
five  minutes  of feedback and miscellaneous  intro  noises  that
eventually transformed into "Lovelorn Rhapsody".  I seemed to  be
one  of  far too few people somewhat familiar with  the  Anathema
reportoire,  and  flipped out accordingly,  sometimes pausing  to
take  pictures.  Most  of  their CD and  EP  ("Crestfallen")  was
played, with the exception of "Dreaming: The Romance". At times I
found myself already in trance,  body swaying to the rhythm, eyes
closed as the musical version of deep sorrow was poured out  over
me,  especially the almost tear-inducing "Under a Veil (Of  Black
Lace)". Catharsis at its very best.
 They ended after about 50 minutes,  bringing the show to a close
with  the  same collection of feedback and  miscellaneous  noises
that had started off the gig.
 Satisfied,  even  though  I had forgotten all about  the  almost
ritual acquisition of guitar picks, I went home.
 If My Dying Bride, November 7th, will be anything like this then
I  may very well consider 1993 my top concert year so far  (which
had hitherto been 1990,  with the Metal Hammer Festival featuring
Metallica,  and my witnessing the Queensrÿche "Building  Empires"
 We'll see.

 In  the  next  issue  of ST NEWS you  may  expect  some  remarks
concerning concert experiences with Deep Purple,  My Dying  Bride
and the 1993 Aardschokdag Festival (with,  among others, Paradise
Lost and Dream Theater). 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.