Skip to main content
? Erik 'ES of TEX' Simon, 1989

 "A bachelor's life is no life for a single man."
                                                   Samuel Goldwyn

                        THE SEATTLE DIARY
                             PART 1
                       by Stefan Posthuma

August 10, 1993

 The  machine rages in my head as I am sitting in  the  airplane
waiting  for takeoff.  Funny how life twists and turns  and  you
cannot do anything but hold on tight for the ride.  My life  has
gotten  slightly  too complicated for my comfort so I  booked  a
flight to Seattle,  arranged for a big car and decided to  drive
around  the northwestern US and Canada for a  while,  regain  my
senses  a  bit.  The Rocky Mountains are a  bit  different  from
Middle America but I guess this is the way it is supposed to  be
even though my heart still cries out, a silent scream drowned in
the mayhem of life around it.
 I know what to expect,  the stretches of highway,  the comforts
of an American car,  but most of all, the mountains I am looking
forward to very much. I will be on my own in the beginning, camp
out on some mountain somewhere, hopefully relax a bit.
 But first,  some 10 hours on an airplane, I will be glad when I
will be able to unfold myself at Seattle airport.

August 12

 I  am surrounded by massive pine trees,  camping out  in  Mount
Rainier national park.  I just bought some supplies,  a few cans
of Bud Dry,  a bag of ice to keep them cool,  some firewood  and
some snacks.  The campsite is called Ohanapecosh and it's one of
those typical sites with a picnic table, a patch of clear ground
for  your tent and of course the ever present barbecue  where  I
will be lighting my campfire as soon as it gets dark.

 I came off the airplane feeling a bit dazed,  and went  through
customs without any trouble.  I remember previous visits to  the
States where the official would eye me with a deep suspicion and
ask  all sorts of strange questions but this time he glanced  at
my  passport  and  rammed  a stamp in it  without  any  kind  of
ceremony.  I ventured out into the baggage claim and hung around
the  belt  for  a while until I spotted  my  stuff  amongst  the
multitude  of  bags and suitcases that where on display  on  the
endlessly churning machine.  I didn't have a dollar in quarters,
I had no US currency at all,  so I couldn't get a baggage  cart.
My suitcase weighed about 500 kilos and the bag with the camping
stuff at least half of that so I was staggering around the place
covered  in  luggage while being sniffed at by a whole  pack  of
hounds.  Yes, Seattle airport seems to be filled with dogs, from
small  enthusiastic beagles that can smell a miniature piece  of
salami  from a mile,  to large,   lumbering  and  glazed-looking
smackhounds who's only turn-on lies in gear,  pot,  grass,  coke,
crack,  or any other mind-expanding substances.  You name it  and
they  sniff it.  Cool dogs these,  and they all bypassed my  bags
which' only addictive contents were a large box of 'drop',  black
Dutch liquorice, a substance most indispensable to the travelling
 After  the formalities at the Hertz desk (I came this close  to
renting a convertible,  was it not for the fact that they didn't
have  any  Mustangs at that moment) I became a  little  anxious.
Still  hauling my massive luggage,  I was making my way  to  the
rental  car pickup garage to retrieve my Ford  Thunderbird,  the
car that was to transport me for the next three weeks.
 Such  a  nice car,  so much bigger and more  spacious  than  my
trusty little Alfa I have back home.  I am a tall bloke (6 ft 4)
but I can stretch my legs completely while driving,  a manoeuvre
what would result in me inserting my feet into the engine of  my
car back home.  Also, the automatic gear, the power steering and
the  massive  3.8  litre V6 engine make this car  a  delight  to
 I  headed  out  of Sea-Tac airport and on  highway  five  north
towards  Seattle.  After about 10 minutes downtown Seattle  with
the  typical highrise,  the UFO shaped kingdome stadium and  the
majestic Space Needle were displayed before me.  It reminded  me
of my first view on San Francisco a little more than a year  ago
and I knew I was back...
 Moments  later  I  was  off  the  freeway  and  into  downtown,
surrounded by the skyscrapers.  I had no idea where I was  going
and  drove  around randomly for a while,  still in  a  daze  and
monumentally  tired.  After  about an hour I found myself  in  a
massive hotel room of a Best Western somewhere in  north-Seattle
off I-99,  the hot shower bringing me back to reality once more.
I didn't sleep very well that night, jetlag and sheer excitement
taking their toll.
 Around 10:30 the next morning I was out of the room and  headed
for downtown once again,  this time a little less spaced out and
ready to explore the depths of the city. Following the signs for
Seattle Centre,  I passed a massive Tower Records. I pulled into
their parking lot and dashed into the store,  ready for  massive
amounts of grunge. There was a lot of it in the 'local' section,
but I really didn't know very many of these bands so I just  got
the Stone Temple Pilots.  Their 'core' CD is a true masterpiece,
brilliant and smashing guitar stuff.  I also got the Stereo MC's
'connected', for 12 dollars each, a most ridiculously low price.
I also gathered up some CD singles and did the second (the first
was the motel the evening before) assault on my credit  card,  a
piece  of plastic that would be shamelessly abused in the  weeks
to come.
 I  parked  across  the lawn in front of the  Space  Needle  and
joined  the  small queue at the entrance of the  tower.  In  the
elevator, a cheerful college girl started explaining facts about
the  tower but I was too absorbed by the  fascinatingly  bulging
and shiny jogging suit of a particularly large tourist that  had
cornered me with her bulk.  Also, a Japanese man was filming the
inside  of  the elevator while  uttering  enthusiastic  sounding
comments to his two identical children and his wife.  Now  there
is  a gift shop at the base of the tower where I  browsed  while
waiting for the elevator,  and there is also a gift shop at  the
top  of the tower where you can buy the same  stuff.  Postcards,
calendars, little statues, tribal wood carvings, native pottery,
scarves,  T-shirts, sweaters, baseball caps, glasses, mugs, wind
chimes, books, folders and piles of other tourist stuff. I found
two useful items,  a map of Washington and a very amusing  hand-
drawn  map of Seattle.  It folds out to mammoth proportions  and
has  a  detailed map of downtown with all shops and  hotels  and
stuff  on  it.  On  the  reverse  there is  a  big  map  of  the
surrounding area with points of interest.
 Of  course there is a nice round gallery built around the  gift
shop  where you can admire the view of Seattle  and  surrounding
waters and mountains.  I could see for miles,  Mount Olympus  to
the southwest across the blue expanse of Elliot Bay,  and  Mount
Rainier to the southeast.  Seattle itself sprawled below  me,  I
could see the Tower Records like a shoebox far below and my car,
a  shiny piece of metal amidst the grey concrete of the  parking
lot.  There is a lot of Seattle,  a massive city all around  but
the  big  waters and mountains in the distance  promised  a  lot
more,  and I felt anxious once more,  ready for the coming  days
where I would venture out into the mountains,  deep into  nature
 During  my  360  degree walk I was followed  by  three  elderly
ladies  dressed  in  jump suits and  sneakers  who  were  loudly
discussing the view.  They kept asking me to take their  picture
and they also took one of me,  nonchalantly leaning against  the
railing with the outstretched view behind me.
 Back  on solid ground I explored Seattle Centre a bit,  it  was
quite  deserted,  I  guess school holidays where  over  and  the
tourist  season was nearing its end.  The map showed  a  monorail
leading into downtown,  so I headed for the station in the middle
of  Seattle  Centre.  Ten  minutes later I  stepped  out  of  the
monorail and out into Westlake Centre, a beautiful and shiny mall
in the middle of downtown.  In fact,  the monorail platform exits
into  the food plaza of the mall and once more I was reminded  of
the  abundant  junkfood culture that thrives in  the  States.  At
least  10  different  vendors  assaulted me  with  a  turmoil  of
screaming  colours,  smells and the sight of dozens of people  in
the  middle  of  it  all stirred  faint  hunger  feelings  in  my
jetlagged system.  Yet I merely walked around,  checking all  the
types  of food,  from deep fried potato skins with sour cream  to
spaghetti with tomato sauce and italian sausage.
 The mall contained a score of expensive shops,  and I  gradually
worked  myself down the three floors and out into the streets  of
Seattle.  The  skyscrapers  all around me managed to  impress  me
again,  no such stuff where this boy comes from.  A glance at  my
watch  reminded me of parking time expiring and I headed back  to
the  mall and into the monorail after picking up some more  maps,
Oregon  and  Idaho/Montana.  I would need those in the  weeks  to
 I decided to head for the waterfront, the Pike Place market was
supposed  to be good.  It took me quite some trouble  finding  a
parking space,  but I finally pulled into a large garage  across
the  Seattle Aquarium.  From there I took an elevator up  and  a
footbridge led me to the market. It's an amazing place, a sprawl
of  about 600 (!) merchants across the edge of town in a  multi-
storey,  multi-layer maze.  From its many windows in the  various
stores it overlooks the piers and the Alaskan Freeway,  a  raised
freeway  skirting  the  bay,  like a belt  around  the  belly  of
Seattle.  An exotic place,  this market.  I literally got lost in
the labyrinth,  discovering passage after passages,  store  after
store  and small stairways leading to 'even more shops!'  as  the
colourful signs shouted. You can buy anything there, from massive
slabs  of smoked salmon to wind-up toys and a million  things  in
between. I lunched in a seafood bar overlooking the bay, enjoying
the sunshine and the gorgeous waitress.  After I finally  escaped
from the sprawl I walked down to the boulevard  and strolled past
the  Seattle  Aquarium,  Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe  and  the  many
waterfront restaurants and bars.  The cool ocean breeze with that
typical  salty smell and the sunshine made me feel great,  I  had
forgotten about most of the troubles back home already. To enrich
my collection,  I bought a Seattle T-shirt from a merchant on the
 It  was  late afternoon by the time I returned to  my  car  and
decided to go to west Seattle, see some more of this great city.
But traffic was heavy and I wasn't completely accustomed to  U.S.
traffic  yet,  it's in some way very different from what we  have
here  in  Holland.  I got confused and  very,  very  lost.  Exits
disappeared,  roads  didn't go where I thought they would  and  I
found out that it's quite hazardous to drive and map read at  the
same  time!  After  foolishly mistaking left for right  and  thus
missing the West Seattle Freeway for the third time I gave up and
drove  off towards the mountains which where visible in  the  far
distance. I took highway 169 towards Enumclaw and two hours later
I was in this small town at the base of the Cascades.  I  checked
into the very nice King Motel,  very tired and very impressed  by
Seattle, a city certainly worth coming back to!
 Jetlag has no mercy and I woke up with a nagging headache.  But
I set off cheerfully,  headed for those massive mountains  which
where close now, and indeed, minutes later I was heading up, the
popping sounds in my ear revealing the changes in altitude. That
feeling went though me again,  being amidst  nature,  mountains,
forests,  all of an indescribable beauty.  If you live in a flat
and  featureless place like Holland,  mountains tend to  trigger
strange emotions in you.
 The rest of the day was like a dream.  Small windy roads across
mountain  passes  overlooking valleys and  green  slopes  filled
with pinewood forests.  The sky was pure blue,  dotted with some
small white clouds and the sun felt warm and healthy. Highlights
of  the  day where Sunrise and Paradise.  Two  places  in  Mount
Rainier  National Park that overlook the glacier-covered  14,410
foot  peak  of Mount Rainier.  The sight of the  dazzling  white
peak  jutting  out of the rugged and grey mountains  is  utterly
breathtaking and I stood there for a while,  admiring this thing
of  incredible beauty.  I realized then that it was yet  another
thing  that would be filed under 'unforgettable experiences'  in
my life's memory.  It's already getting a bit crowded up  there,
Glacier Point, Grand Canyon, the deserts of the southwestern US,
Niagara Falls, Guatemala, and a lot more.
 Another  thing I enjoy about mountains is the  driving.  Small,
windy  roads don't exist in Holland so I love driving  on  them,
especially  in  a car like the Thunderbird with a  beast  of  an
engine which effortlessly hurls the car up the steepest roads. I
had  a lot of fun yet managed to keep myself under  control  and
remember  safety  for I had no intention of ending up  a  bloody
mess at the bottom of some canyon.

 So far,  this vacation has been great,  and being here in  this
forest on a camping listening to some music makes me feel great,
completely  detached  from my life back home,  a life  that  was
becoming a little too much for me.
 Dusk is slowly falling and all around me I see the soft glow of
campfires and the smoke plumes of barbecues.  I guess it's  time
to  get  my  own fire started,  but first I'm going  to  dig  up
another Bud from that bag of ice...

August 14

 I'm  sitting  on  a  wooden bench of  the  boardwalk  in  Coeur
d'Alene,  a  little town on lake Coeur d'Alene  in  Idaho,  just
across the Washington border.  A very beautiful lake set  amidst
soft sloping hills that are covered with the massive pine  trees
that seem to be everywhere.  It's early, 9:45, and the town still
seems to be asleep.  Once again,  the weather is great, I'm being
very comfortably warmed by the sun at the moment.

 The campfire was a glowing success,  I spent hours playing with
it.  I even got it to a point where I was able to melt my  empty
beer cans in the red glowing embers.
 After breaking up camp during which I was carefully watched  by
a  small chipmunk who had found my half-empty bag of  crisps,  I
took highway 12 east to Yakima.  It was early,  and there was  a
lot of morning mist, vapour rising off the forests warmed by the
morning  sun.  This created a remarkable  sight,  the  mountains
seemed to be wrapped in white fluff and from the valleys the hot
rising  air  carried  the low hanging  clouds  up  the  mountain
slopes. Sometimes I would enter such a cloud resting against the
slope  of  the mountain and I would find myself in a  deep  fog,
breaking  through it seconds later to be presented with  another
breathtaking view.
 Yakima  is a medium-sized town without anything interesting  to
see,  at  least according to the girl at the Subway (a  sandwich
shop) where I breakfasted. From Yakima I took I-82 north towards
Ellensburg  where  I  turned onto scenic  highway  136  east  to
Vantage.  The  landscape became very barren and dry here  and  I
stopped  somewhere  at a place where there were  some  petrified
trees  buried in the hills.  The dry heat and  savage  landscape
reminded  me  of  the  dry  hills  of  California  and  the  big
rattlesnake warning filled me with caution as I worked myself up
the  hill,  admiring  the  view  and  the  occasional  stump  of
petrified tree. It was hot there, very hot. No cool ocean nearby
to  temper  the heat and no Coke machines to soften  my  parched
 From  Vantage I proceeded north-east past Ephrata  and  stopped
for lunch in Soap Lake. This little town lies on the south point
of  the lake with the same name,  it's called Soap Lake  because
the water contains natural oils and minerals and it indeed feels
smooth,  soapy.  I had a burger from a local diner and  strolled
onto  a  field  where a lot of custom  cars  where  on  display.
Hotrods,  restored classics,  radical custom jobs,  basically  a
collection  of insane cars,  something you can only find in  the
U.S.  After taking in some more sun and observing the people  on
the  beach  of  the lake for a bit I got back  in  the  car  and
followed  highway  17  north along the  lakes  until  it  joined
Interstate 2 which goes straight east towards Spokane.
 Spokane is a big place and I planned on staying there, maybe go
to  the cinema,  see "Jurassic Park".  I drove around  the  place
randomly  for  a while,  finding most of the motels full  and  no
cinema in sight. When I finally did find one and it turned out to
be  closed I discarded the idea of staying in Spokane and  headed
for Coeur d'Alene 27 miles east.  I found a nice motel there with
a  massive room.  After a shower I headed back to the  centre  of
town  and  had dinner there.  Ordering the special  of  the  day,
rainbow  trout  with goodies was quite the  event.  The  waitress
greeted  me enthusiastically and I decided to go for the  special
because I was starving.
 "I'll have the special."
 "Great sir, would you like that with potatoes or rice?"
 "Mashed, fried or baked?"
 "With sour cream, butter or both?"
 "Make that both."
 "What would you like for a starter, soup or salad?"
 "Soup would be nice."
 "Tomato, chicken or beef-vegetable?"
 Deep sigh.
 "And what would you like to drink tonight?"
 I imagined her listing twelve different kinds of beer, draft or
from a bottle, import or local so I decided to be very clear.
 "A bottle of regular Budweiser."
 She checked her notepad and disappeared. My mind dazzled when I
thought of the thousands of permutations possible for one  meal.
I  speculated  on what kinds of rice  they  would  have, (wild,
normal,  steamed, with/without sesame seeds) and the dozen salad
dressings you would be able to get. Mad place this.

 I slept well in the massive bed last night and now I will  have
a look at the maps,  my next destination is Yellowstone National
Park.  But  first  I  want  to  do  something,  there  are  many
activities  going on at the lake.  Jet-skiing,  parasailing  and
scenic flights.

August 16

 The Hilltop Inn,  Kalispell is a nice little motel at the  edge
of town. I arrived here after two long days that were once again
filled  with incredible impressions,  Yellowstone National  Park
and Glacier National Park.

 Before I left Coeur d'Alene, I decided to do something, partake
in  one of the many lakeside activities.  Now I had a choice  of
jet-skiing,  parasailing  or flying in a  small  airplane.  Jet-
skiing or parasailing involved having to go to the  car,  taking
my suitcase out for dry clothes and so on,  so I decided to join
a small group of people for a 'scenic flight'.  The airplane was
an eight-seater and had two of those big floats which allows  it
to take off and land on the water. The other people on the plane
were  a Japanese family,  a couple of two tiny people with  even
more  tiny  children.  They all smiled a lot and took a  lot  of
photographs.  I love those stereotype people! One more passenger
was an elderly American gentleman who just sat there and enjoyed
the  ride.  I sat next to the pilot and was able to observe  the
man  while  he operated the plane,  it all seemed  quite  simple
really. The flight was indeed scenic, the whole lake was visible
and the surrounding hills and distant mountains were a sight  to
behold.  Half an hour later I was back on solid ground, and into
the car, I had a lot of driving to do.
 The  I-90  east took me to Missoula,  I arrived  there  in  the
afternoon after a long drive through endlessly stretching  hills
and  forests.  In Missoula I found a big mall where I  had  some
lunch  and found a wonderful black Levi's jacket which I  bought
almost immediately after I saw it. From Missoula I took the I-90
again and after about an hour I turned south on highway  1,  the
hills  getting rougher and the forests deeper.  It  was  nearing
seven  when I passed Philipsburg,  a small town but I felt  like
camping  that  night  so  I carried  on  towards  a  cluster  of
campsites  visible on the map.  I found one just off  Georgetown
Lake,  and  after  setting  up my tent I had  a  chat  with  the
campsite host,  a grizzled old man who told me that the  nearest
place  to  eat was the '7 gables bar' about ten minutes  up  the
 It turned out to be a local hangout, and I sat there at a table
eating charbroiled chicken with fries,  washing it all down with
a  large  Coke.   The  place  was  busy  with  people   enjoying
themselves,  and they all gave me a friendly but inquiring look,
this strange youngster all on his own sitting there studying his
maps.  After I finished my meal (it was great),  I got some cans
of Bud from the guy at the bar (he was the first one not to  ask
me  for  ID) and fifteen minutes later I was back at  the  tent,
nicely filled and ready for a the night,  it had become  totally
dark and it was quite cold too.
 And  cold  it was,  I think the temperature plummeted  down  to
about 3 to 5 degrees celsius,  alright if you're in the  comforts
of a motel room but downright lethal if you're in a little tent.
 Now  I  had gone through the experience before,  last  year  in
Yosemite  National Park where I camped on about 8,000  feet  and
the  temperature  dropped  to about 4  degrees.  I  had  a  very
uncomfortable  night  to  put it mildly.  So  this  time  I  was
prepared  and when I had finished playing with the campfire  and
had given the glowing embers one last mesmerizing stare,  I went
to bed.  Inside the tent, I put on some sweatpants, a T-shirt, a
sweatshirt  and some socks and cocooned myself in  the  sleeping
bag. The bag has a hood with a cord through it so I can cover my
head with it and pull the string so only my face is  visible.  I
lay there for a while,  feeling the warmth of my body  spreading
through  the many layers of clothing and sleeping  equipment.  I
felt  strangely  serene,   an  blissful  equilibrium  that   was
momentarily interrupted by the fact that the light was still  on
and it took a great deal of squirming to turn off the flashlight
that was suspended from the tent canopy.
 Hours  later I woke up,  like I usually do after drinking  beer
the  night before and was momentarily freaked out by  the  total
absence  of  the  usual things like  light  and  sound.  It  was
perfectly  dark  in the tent,  to my eyes it seemed  like  there
wasn't a single light particle present.  Quite desorientating if
you wake up totally covered by a sleeping bag and the air  feels
freezing cold and it's pitch black and eerily silent. It took me
a  while before I figured out where I was and what I  was  doing
but then the consequences of my urge dawned upon me. I had to go
out there.
 After a lot of fiddling and squirming I managed to free  myself
from the sleeping bag and was groping around in the dark for the
light.  When I turned it on,  light screamed at my eyes and  the
tent was lit up as if by a nuclear blast,  I could almost feel my
pupils contracting, trying to become as small as possible, hiding
from the callous,  intense light.  I put on my shoes and unzipped
the tent door,  a sound that's perfectly normal but now seemed to
be  amplified  a  thousandfold by the silence all  around  and  I
expected angry co-campers to come out any moment and shout at  me
for waking them all up.
 After  two  steps I scrambled back into the tent to  fetch  the
light because I felt like I had stepped into some void,  I guess
I  know  now what matter feels like when it gets sucked  into  a
black hole.
 I was more awake now and became quite fascinated by the  forest
at  night,  a collection of looming shapes gathered  around  the
yellow  cone of the flashlight.  I selected a nice looking  tree
and relieved myself of about three cans of Bud Dry. After this I
felt  a  lot  better  and  puttered  around  the  trees  a  bit,
experimenting   with   the  flashlight,   seeing   the   distant
reflections  of  cars in the other  campsites.  There  was  also
another sight to behold,  the sky was clear so I could see about
a  trillion stars and the white blurry stripe of the  milky  way
through the canopy of the trees. Fascinating stuff, I never knew
you could have so much fun out in a forest in the middle of  the
night, armed with a flashlight only.
 It was then when I felt that it was rather cold,  my breath was
leaving small puffs of vapour in the air (great for showing  the
beam  of your flashlight) and I retreated myself into the  tent,
going through the sleeping-bag ritual again and minutes later  I
was fast asleep once more.
 After having breakfast at Arby's in Anaconda, I joined the I-90
again  and  a 100 miles later I took the 191 south  towards  the
town of West Yellowstone, the entrance to the world famous park.
I arrived there mid-afternoon and walked around the place a bit,
checking  out the souvenir stores and buying some  candybars  to
nurture my travel-weary being.   Yellowstone National Park.  The
oldest park in the United States,  3,472 square miles of rugged,
sometimes  surreal countryside.  200 to 250 active  geysers  and
about 10,000 thermal features shroud the landscape in mists  and
strange  smells.  600,000  thousand years ago the  last  of  the
catastrophic  volcanic eruptions on the continental divide  that
runs straight through the park spewed out about 240 cubic  miles
of debris and formed the caldera,  the volcanic basin that looks
like a miniature version of Venus. Bubbling mud basins, erupting
geysers,  pools  of boiling water reeking strongly  of  sulphur,
acrid  stretches of land with underground caves belching  fumes.
Surely one of the most bizarre places on Earth,  but also one of
the most fascinating, it once more makes you aware of the powers
of Nature, and how tiny humankind really is.
 There  is  a paved road that runs around the  park,  from  West
Yellowstone  I  entered the state of Wyoming  and  followed  the
Madison  River until I joined the looping road and  entered  the
caldera,  heading  south towards Old Faithful,  the most  famous
geyser in the park. Every couple of miles there would be a place
where you could park your car and join a wooden walkway  leading
around   a  particularly  interesting  piece  of   bubbling   or
flolloping mud field.  It took me quite a while to cover the  16
miles to Old Faithful, and I already felt quite impressed when I
reached  the  small  village built  around  this  phenomenon.  I
managed to phone my parents,  told them I was doing fine and was
having a fabulous time. I bought some postcards in the gift shop
and joined the steady stream of people heading towards the  site
of  the  geyser.  It  was supposed to  erupt  in  about  fifteen
minutes,  so I had some time to write my postcards while sitting
on  a  wooden bench overlooking the white pimple on  the  barren
landscape  that was supposed to be the geyser.  A tiny  curl  of
smoke was coming from the tip of the mound,  but other than that
no  evidence of a great spewing geyser was to be  observed.  But
suddenly the pimple belched some water, superheated steam rising
in great clouds.  Still not the Great Ejaculation I was  waiting
for.  But it had my attention now and the crowd  hushed,  people
aiming their camcorders and cameras.  A small girl armed with  a
Polaroid  ventured beyond the small fence onto the  mineral-salt
covered grounds around the geyser and hurried back after it spit
out another bubble of water.
 I was now watching the while bulge intensely, and the slightest
of  tremors  ran through the earth and then a massive  spurt  of
water  erupted.  It  seemed unreal through the small eye  of  my
camera  but  it was great,  massive amounts of hot  water  being
hurled at least thirty feet into the air.  The spectacle  lasted
for about thirty seconds, and I became aware of a steady buzzing
sound, the dozens of cameras being employed all around me.
 After  the  geyser had once more resumed its peaceful  state  I
went  back  to the car,  thoroughly  impressed  and  desperately
curious about the rest of Yellowstone.
 After a breathtaking drive along the shore of Yellowstone lake,
and admiring places with inspiring names like 'Mud Volcano'  and
'Sulphur Caldron' I reached another Masterpiece of Nature, Grand
Canyon  of  Yellowstone.  Its two viewpoints,  Artist  Point  and
Inspiration  Point offer views of the deep,  twisting canyon  and
the Upper and Lower Falls which are yet again awe-inspiring. This
day was getting ridiculous,  so much stuff to store in my  little
brain, it was spinning with the effort. But the drive wasn't over
yet, I had to cover another 58 miles of magic wonderland before I
exited the park at the North Entrance (entering Montana), late in
the  afternoon  and  thoroughly impressed  by  all  this  natural
beauty. I also regretted the fact that I didn't have more time to
spend in this wonderful place,  so I could at least follow one of
trails,  there are many of them in the park, covering about 1,000
 I followed highway 89 north until I came to Livingston, where I
drove  around  for a while looking for a  motel.  No  such  luck
though,  and I had to settle for a RV park where I had to  setup
the  tent by the light of the headlights of the car.  It  turned
out  to be a site close to the railroad and a busy I-191 so  all
night I was aroused by the thunder of freight trains and massive
trucks passing by.
 So the next morning I wasn't particularly feeling fresh and new
yet  I  had  a massive distance to cover,  about  300  miles  to
Glacier National Park just below the US-Canadian  border.  After
crossing  the  Little Belt Mountains and passing  through  Great
Falls  where  I had some lunch,  I entered the great  plains  of
Montana, 130 miles of utter Nothing which consisted of endlessly
stretching hills with the odd miniature town thrown in for  good
form. I think I crossed an area roughly the size of Holland that
day, not encountering more than a dozen towns, Great Falls being
the  only  noteworthy  one.   Amazing  stuff.   I  picked  up  a
hitchhiking  cowboy  who had to go 'just dawn  the  rawd'  which
turned out to be about 10 miles to a 'town' which consisted of a
few  houses and a small store.  He told me he had never been  in
Yellowstone, something I found quite incredible, since the place
was  only a few hours away.  He also told me if I wanted to  see
real  empty  country,  I had to go to east Montana.  But  I  had
another destination,  Glacier Park and the next day,  Calgary in
 Around five that day I arrived at St. Mary. A small town at the
eastern  entrance of Glacier National Park.  It was  raining,  a
steady  downpour  making  the mountains seem  painted  grey  and
covered  in  heavy clouds.  There is one road  cutting  straight
through  the  park,  about  50 miles  of  twisting  and  turning
pavement cut out of the mountains.  The 'going to the sun  road'
it's called, but that day there wasn't much sun. In fact, it was
still raining but this created a kind of strange atmosphere, the
low-hanging clouds forming a surreal cloak around the  mountains
and  there  were many small waterfalls and streams  forming  all
over  the  rocky  slopes.  Now  I know that  I  have  used  many
superlatives  already in this story but I have to say  that  the
'going  to the sun road' is one of the most beautiful  drives  I
have  ever seen.  It cuts right across a mountain range that  is
just  incredibly  beautiful  and I  really  cannot  describe  it
properly. Once, while completing yet another hair-raising turn I
was  presented with such an amazing view that my  breath  halted
and  a big lump formed itself in my throat.  The road seemed  to
form a tunnel through the green vegetation covering the  slopes.
Low  hanging  branches dripping with the  rain  and  many,  many
flowers  creating  a  patchwork of brilliant  colors  all  over.
Beyond  this natural tunnel,  a newly formed stream whirled  its
way down a rocky slope and the rain-heavy clouds were resting on
the  rugged top of the mountain further up.  The grey and  white
dome  of the sky arched above this all,  and I felt like  I  was
beholding  a  giant  painting,  the ultimate  masterpiece  of  a
brilliant  artist  who was inspired by the  very  earth  itself.
Slowly I drove up the slope,  taking in this sight,  etching  it
into my brain, making sure I would never forget this view again.
This  moment  alone made the entire  trip  worthwhile,  and  the
realisation  of  all I had seen already and all  I  would  still
experience  filled me with a warm happiness that stayed with  me
while I completed my drive through this totally incredible piece
of the planet we all live on.
 I  left  the park at West Glacier and made my  way  south-west,
looking  for  a motel to spend the night.  It  seemed  many  had
preceded  me,  all  motels along the way were  totally  full.  I
passed through the towns of Coram,  Martin City,  Hungry  Horse,
Columbia Heights and Evergreen before I finally found a motel in
Kalispell  which  wasn't  totally booked.  With a  deep  sigh  I
dropped  on the bed and lay there for a while,  focusing on  the
day  that  just passed,  the incredible experiences  of  driving
through the emptiness of Montana and the unbelievable beauty  of
Glacier National Park.
 The  shower did me good and twenty minutes later I was  in  the
local Sizzler, digging into a massive salad and a steak & salmon
dinner.  After  this  I crossed the road to the cinema  and  saw
"Jurassic  Park".  I went back to my motel,  head  spinning  with
images   of  brilliant  computer-generated   dinosaurs,   awesome
mountains,  endless  hills and that night I slept and  slept  and

August 18

 I'm currently lying on the guest bed of the Steen residence  in
Millarville,   Canada.   After   being  in  a  totally   relaxed
environment for a while I realized just how exhausted I was when
I  arrived  here yesterday afternoon.  The first  week  of  this
holiday is over and it has been a tremendous success.  I already
have seen and experienced so many wonderful things,  and I still
have  two weeks to go.  But all the travelling and  the  driving
have  taken their toll and I surely can use a few days out  here
to recover.

 After I left Kalispell I headed back to Glacier National  Park,
and  did the same drive as the day before,  but in the  opposite
direction  this time.  Now it was quite cloudy and rainy when  I
crossed  the  park  for  the first time so  I  didn't  take  any
photographs,  hoping for clearer weather the following  day.  No
such luck,  in fact the clouds and fog banks were even  heavier,
obscuring most of the mountains and filling up the valleys.  Yet
there  were enough sights left for a couple of pictures and  the
mists  gave  the mountains a certain  sinister  appearance  that
greatly  inspired  me.  I  was once again  feeling  great  while
zooming  up  and down the slopes in the  big  T-bird,  sometimes
slowing  down  to  a crawl when entering a  thick  fog  bank  or
stopping at a pullout to admire yet another view.
 10  miles  north of St.  Mary I crossed  the  Canadian  border,
feeling a little excited for I had never been in Canada  before.
I   immediately  noticed  that  distances  were   indicated   in
kilometres instead of miles, something different!
 After the rugged mountains of Glacier,  the soft sloping plains
of south Alberta reminded me of Montana again.  Rain was falling
down  in torrents now and I was getting suddenly very  weary  of
all  the travelling and I felt a bit worried,  I was to  meet  a
friend  of mine in Calgary and all I had was a phone  number.  I
was hoping she was there because although I am perfectly  capable
of taking care of myself, I was looking forward to some company.
 200 miles later I was in Calgary, in an enormous mall and on the
phone, anxious to talk to my friend Tara.
 I met Tara last year near the Grand Canyon in Arizona.  She was
travelling around the US as well and although we only spent  one
evening  on  a campsite around the campfire we stayed  in  touch
throughout  the  next  year.  Tara just  finished  University  in
Winnipeg and was in the middle of moving to Vancouver.  She got a
ride with her friend Laurie who lives just outside Calgary. Since
I  was 'in the neighbourhood',  I decided to drive up to  Calgary
and take Tara to Vancouver,  a drive that was to take us  through
Banff National Park which is yet another amazing place.
 Laurie's mother gave me the number of the office where Tara and
Laurie   were  busy  writing  their  resumes  and   letters   of
applications  on Laurie's dad's computer.  It was right  in  the
middle  of downtown Calgary,  and I walked into this  office  (a
stock market broker) feeling very tired and very excited to meet
Tara once more.
 A  few  hours and a nice dinner later we drove up  to  Laurie's
house,  southwest  of Calgary in the foothills of  the  Canadian
Rockies  and  frankly,  in the middle of nowhere.  A  very  nice
looking nowhere it is,  and I was very impressed by the house, a
big  wooden  place on the top of a hill with a  large  patch  of
ground  around it.  Some horses grazed in a field nearby  and  a
path  lead  up to a small cabin overlooking the valley  and  the
distant  mountains.  The thought of spending the next  few  days
here just hanging around with Tara and Laurie, reading a bit and
enjoying the weather (the skies cleared as I approached  Calgary
and the sun was shining cheerfully) made me feel pretty good.
 That  night  I was in bed early,  after a  chat  with  Laurie's
parents and watching a bit of Canadian TV.  I slept like a  baby
and  woke up to a warm summer morning,  the sun peeping  through
the  blinds.  I was greeted by my Canadian hosts who  were  busy
doing  their portfolios and ventured out onto the veranda  where
some deckchairs were strategically located.  I installed  myself
there with a book and a large glass of orange juice and let  the
sun soothe my still tired body. 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.