Skip to main content
? Erik 'ES of TEX' Simon, 1989

 "I ought, therefore I can."
                                                    Immanuel Kant

                      by Richard Karsmakers

 All  of the summer there have been a zillion festivals all  over
Europe and the rest of the world. I wish I could say I've been to
Glastonbury,  Reading,  Day at the Green, Donington and all sorts
of  other stuff for you,  but in real life I am afraid I  had  to
make  do  with  a  few  Dutch  ones.   Not  that  they  are  less
interesting,  for  they  made pass before my eyes  a  few  really
interesting bands...and one truly unique one!
 So here they be...


 Burgum,  The Netherlands,  June 24th 1995.  Featuring  Ancestral
Sin,  Madball,  My Dying Bride, Pro Pain, Benediction, Sick of it
All, Machine Head and Venom.

 Again,  like  last  year,  I went to Wâldrock with a  couple  of
friends.  Previous  year  these  had  been  people  working  with
"Avalanche" magazine,  but with my recent split with the rest  of
the  editorial  staff  this time I went  with  some  even  better
friends,  a few of the "VIRUS" (approximate acronym, in Dutch, of
"Society  of  Intensely  Rocking  Utrecht  Students")  hard  core
members.  Although  there were a few small showers when we  drove
there, the entire rest of the day proved almost ideal for outside
festival  conditions - an OK temperature with sunny  spells,  and
 We arrived at around 13:40,  when the first band of the day  had
already started. Traditionally, the first act is always local, or
at  least semi-local,  and I think that was once more  the  case.
They weren't too bad and they pleased me quite a bit when I heard
the  sounds of a Slayer cover - all-time favourite thrash  anthem
"Raining Blood".
 Next  up were Madball.  Well,  I really can't say much  of  this
because I am not familiar with what the band does and,  actually,
I don't like the skate rock (whatever) bouncing-up-and-down genre
at all.
 Slightly  disgruntled because they turned out to have to play  a
lot  earlier than they had expected (a playing order  change  had
happened due to Amorphis having been replaced by Benediction)  My
Dying  Bride  only did a 30 minute set when they  were  up  next.
Originally  they had intended to play the same set as on  Dynamo,
but instead they played an ever shorter one. They kicked off with
a  song off "Turn Loose the Swans" (was it "Your  River"?),  then
continued with "A Sea to Suffer In", "Your Shameful Heaven", "The
Cry  of Mankind",  "The Songless Bird" and,  last but not  least,
"The Forever People".  The same remarks I made when I wrote about
the Dynamo Open Air gig could be made here,  again, but even more
so:  I missed a few classics and "From Darkest Skies". One of the
friends who'd come with me had seen them a week before on a  club
tour and he said they'd played it there. My bad luck.
 Forget all about Pro Pain.  More bounce-up-and-down stuff that I
can quite perfectly fail to relate to.
 All of this unlike Benediction, of which band I had never before
heard a note,  miraculously.  They had a new album coming out  on
the  Monday  after  Wâldrock and I guess were  keen  to  do  some
promotion when Amorphis turned out not to turn up.  They played a
really  great set of which the only negative thing was  that,  as
usual  on festival formats,  it lasted too short.  Their  singer,
Dave Ingram, has a great deal of stage presence, a bit of a cross
between  Cronos  of  Venom  and  Barney  of  Napalm  Death   (ex-
Benediction) with a face like Monty Python's Eric Idle thrown in.
His voice is very much like Barney, too. I can't tell you all the
songs  they  played because I have yet to check out  their  stuff
(though   I  will!),   but  I  do  recall  them   having   played
"Subconscious   Terror",   "Transcend  the  Rubicon"   and   "The
Grotesque".  After two songs their performance was marred by both
guitarists having technical difficulties, but this was solved and
the  gig went on as if nothing had happened.  Three  people  were
made happy with free promo CDs that were thrown into the crowd.
 And,  yes,  Sick  of it All once more caused me to  seek  refuge
somewhere  where  I could just talk with people.  At  start  they
sounded,  well, enthusiastic, but after that it became very, very
repetitive.  No further info possible because I really don't know
diddley  squat  about this third bounce-up-and-down band  of  the
 I did like Machine Head,  penultimate band on the bill,  despite
the rather overkilled hype on their debut album,  "Burn My Eyes".
No  people were allowed to make pictures due to  their  drummer,
Chris Kontos,  having been replacing by one Walter Ryan. Strange.
I guess they played most of the songs plus at least one cover (of
the  Cro Mags).  But only two songs are really  excellent,  these
being  "Davidian" and,  even more so,  "Old".  The  rest  somehow
sounded  a bit repetitive and became boring  quickly.  Also,  and
this is probably a character flaw in me,  Machine Head is getting
popular so quickly these days that I tend to lose  interest.  And
they wanted the audience to bounce up and down,  too.  Bad  move.
One doesn't bounce - one bangs.
 Promptly at 22:00, the sun almost complete set after it had come
out  from behind the clouds again somewhere during Machine  Head,
the  sound  of thunder rolled across the  festival  grounds.  And
after  about two minutes of nature's torrent the  familiar  voice
from the Venom intro tape cried..."Ladies and gentlemen, from the
very depths of hell...VENOM!"
 And  that started the absolute climax of the day with about  100
minutes of black metal vomited across the crowd that seemed  very
much  to enjoy every minute of it.  I saw there were even  little
kids,  literally 10-year olds,  walking around in Venom  T-shirts
(with  slogans  along  the lines of "we drink the  vomit  of  the
priest, we make love to the dying whore," that kind of stuff) and
crying along "black fucking metal,  black fucking metal". I truly
wonder  if they knew what all of it was really about;  after  all
they weren't born until several years after Venom had started  to
prosper initially.
 Anyway,  two  black curtains were quickly drawn open and  amidst
the  first load of pyrotechnics Venom started playing "The  Seven
Gates of Hell",  one of my most favourite songs ever recorded  by
these  Gods Rock'n'Roll.  Forward they came,  Mantas without  his
hair  dyed  now and its line slightly retreated,  looking  a  bit
poser-ish in Judas Priest-style leather. And there was Cronos, my
hero  and example (?!),  striding towards the edge of the  stage,
surveying  the  crowd  haughtily,   absorbing  the  applause  and
proving, on the contrary to claims made by Abaddon in interviews,
that the only True Venom is a Venom with Cronos in it.
 Photographers raced to and fro, me among them, trying to capture
as many shots as possible of this Venom Reunion  Concert.  Cronos
and Mantas both posed like maniacs, so I succeeded in making some
rather cool pictures.
 Just  before we had to leave the press pit,  my eyes followed  a
guitar pick thrown by Cronos into the crowd but blown back by the
wind to fall on the stage,  just out of reach for me.  A security
guy  kindly  but especially firmly advised me to leave  with  the
rest of the photographers, so there it remained lying, unable for
me to get it...
 I joined the crowd and positioned myself among a few of the  old
Venom-heads who relished as much as I did this display of classic
black/doom/death/whatever music.  Although I have to say I  never
saw Venom live in their heyday,  I do have all their albums and I
know just about every move they made on their "7th Date of  Hell"
video.  So  for  me  it was every bit as  incredible  to  hear  a
collection of songs taken off "Welcome to Hell" and "Black Metal"
as well as their singles. Before, amid an impressive sea of fire,
Mantas  and  Cronos smashed their guitars to  bits  against  each
other's,  many  of  the  assorted half-elderlies such  as  I  had
already  screamed our voices hoarse and banged our necks sore  to
classics like "Black Metal",  "Die Hard",  "Buried Alive", "Don't
Burn the Witch", "Leave me in Hell", "Countess Bathory", "Welcome
to Hell", "In Nominae Satanas", "Nightmare" (the only post-"Black
Metal"  song they  played),  "Teacher's  Pet"-"Poison"-"Teacher's
Pet",  Cronos's  bass  solo  followed by "One  Thousand  Days  in
Sodom",  "Warhead" and "Bloodlust".  At 23:10 they left the stage
and came back for one more song, "Witching Hour".
 I quickly - and inconspicuously - entered the press pit again in
half  darkness.  A  lot of the Wâldrock staff was  searching  the
ditch  for  smashed guitar bits and stuff  like  that,  but  they
didn't  have  the  knowledge of the location of  That  One  Pick.
Mingling  deviously with them I went in front of the part of  the
stage where I knew it lay.  I jumped.  I saw it. A roadie came up
to me. He had spotted my grappling hand and, perchance, wanted to
intervene.  I quickly grabbed It. And then, despite the potential
thwartings hurled at me by fate,  I had It,  the Hallowed  Cronos
Guitar Pick!
 Happy like a child,  I joined the crowd again in search for  the
people with whom I had come so that we could set back on the  way
home again,  loudly grunting along such Venom lyrics as we  could
 The Venom gig, just to make some more remarks about it, had come
across  very  well and very much like the olden  days,  from  the
occasional "hell yeah" right up to the "we will return". The same
facial  expression were there,  especially  with  Cronos,  though
musically  I think it was better than what we get to hear on  the
"Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" live CD.  The only less thing about  the
concert was the rather too extended bass solo.  It was repetitive
and not quite of the calibre heard on his older bass  solos.  And
it looked far too much as if, really, Cronos was masturbating his
instrument. There were plenty of pyrotechnics, though, which more
than made up for it.
 A  great  day that left me thoroughly elated,  like  any  proper
concert  should!  And  I have to say I was quite chuffed  when  I
heard  all other reunion concerts (Via  Rock,  Red  Rocks,  etc.)
eventually got cancelled.


 Weert,  The Netherlands, July 8th 1995. Featuring Soapstone, The
Brandos, Terrel, Del Amitri, Chris Duarte and Band, Jimmy Barnes,
Dream Theater and Black Crowes.

 A  beautiful  day  it was,  July  8th  1995,  perhaps  even  too
beautiful. I went with Karin this time, because the bill featured
a few rather none too loud bands that she already liked (such  as
Del  Amitri,  Jimmy  Barnes and the Black  Crowes).  For  me,  of
course,  well,  I just went to see Dream Theater.  I went with  a
slight hope that they might play "A Change of Seasons", epic song
extraordinaire.  We also went with a good supply of sun block. It
was needed.
 I  didn't see much of Soapstone,  nor of the first half  of  the
Brandos. We did see the latter half, but apart from the fact that
the  guitarist  seemed  to find it really nice to  show  off  his
pectorals and that they played rather a short set it wasn't  very
memorable.  I  later  heard the short set had been  due  to  them
having arrived rather too late.
 Added  to the BosPop bill at the last minute was Terrel,  a  guy
from the US of A who'd brought his band and bored us all to death
with  songs  that  were way too prolonged and  didn't  have  much
clout.  Er...make  that no clout.  I have to say that my  opinion
here might be coloured because, well, the overall BosPop bill was
not  exactly metal.  But even when I tried to think  objectively,
Terrel was longish and boring and, oddly, quite full of himself.
 Karin was up front to see Del Amitri, up next, but I don't think
she was positively impressed by what she got to see.  Neither was
I,  but I had guessed I wouldn't be before I'd heard a note. They
may have caused a few girlie hearts to miss a beat, but certainly
not mine.  They seemed to enjoy what they were doing,  and that's
nice for them. I didn't like it too much anyway.
 Next,  however,  was a true sensation:  Chris Duarte and Band. I
had  never heard of this guy but the fact that the press  release
mentioned him being "like Stevie Ray Vaughan" (who was like  Jimi
Hendrix)  made me mildly interested.  And he really  kicked  some
serious ass.  He didn't play too many songs,  but among them were
"Just Kissed my Baby" and "Big-legged Woman" off his album "Texas
Sugar Strat Magik".  The final, say, 15 minutes were dedicated to
two Jimi Hendrix songs: "Hey Joe", which sounded really fresh and
among  the best versions I've ever heard,  and "Hear My Train  a-
Coming".  The latter song was nicely prolonged and displayed some
awesome  guitar  showcasing.   Quite  a  discovery.   Although  I
personally  reckoned  his  guitar playing  was  superior  to  his
singing  (then  again,  so was Jimi's...),  he made a  very  good
impression on me and,  I guess,  a whole lot of other people. The
Band bit was good, too.
 I will definitely have to check this dude out.
 Next in line was Jimmy Barnes,  world-famous in Australia  where
he  has a dedicated following of fanatic  Barnestormers.  Largely
unknown  in these parts,  he's already done a handful  of  albums
including a live effort.  I didn't like the whole thing at start,
but eventually there was a bit of a spark that struck me. Typical
guitar style,  quite rough,  screamy vocals. Plenty of enthusiasm
and a raw voice that is excellently suited for the genre. Because
I wasn't much into the man's stuff, I only recognised "River Deep
Mountain  High" (a Tina Turner cover) and his current single  off
his  latest album ("Psyclone"),  "Change of Heart".  As  the  gig
continued  I  got  sucked  into the  atmosphere  more  and  more.
Although  I don't reckon I'll ever be a  true  'barnestormer',  I
quite enjoyed myself.
 Next  up,  finally,  were  Dream Theater.  I need  not  go  into
excessive  lengths to tell you how much I appreciate  this  band,
nor  do I think I need to explain my frustration  at  discovering
that  all my pictures taken at the Vredenburg gig  (see  previous
issue of ST NEWS) had all gone rather too artistically wrong.  So
I  was beyond mere mortal elation when standing in front  of  the
guys  when they once more took to the stage and kicked off  their
set  with  "Under a Glass Moon".  Or is  that  "sun-glass  moon"?
Somehow,  them wearing sunglasses throughout the first couple  of
songs made them seem more distant.  On a whole, the gig also gave
me an impression that they weren't having a particularly fun time
themselves.   Not   that   it  made  any   less   their   musical
craftsmanship, oh no!
 Although  Dream Theater can best be appreciated in the  intimate
atmosphere  of  a  (largish) club,  they did  kick  some  serious
bottom.  "Lifting  Shadows off a Dream" and "Voices"  passes  our
ears before they,  indeed,  leapt into their Mother of all Epics,
"A Change of Seasons".  I was there. Karin was there. They played
the song that I had played rather often in the walkman on my  way
to visit my love when she was still in Bristol.  I felt my  knees
getting weak as I found a spot where I could comfortably flip out
with  Karin  near  me,  and shed a  tear  or  two.  Although  the
arrangement   was   a  bit  different  from  the   version   they
occasionally  performed on the "Images and Words"  tour,  it  was
definitely  a  milestone  in  my  personal  history  of   concert
experiences.  Even  when I think back to the way I  stood  there,
gazing at these guys,  letting their music caress my ears and  my
soul,  I feel my throat constricting.  Them playing "A Change  of
Seasons" had been for me a real Dream Come True.
 No matter how good the rest of the (perhaps a bit too short) set
was,  with "Another Day" and "Pull me Under",  it never quite got
me as emotional as "A Change of Seasons" had done.  And when  the
encore,  "6:00",  was  played,  I had it pour over me while in  a
trance-like state. They had played The Song. I was content.
 The headline act,  Black Crowes,  was OK but didn't do much  for
me.  Nor for Karin,  she discovered, because they didn't play the
songs  she had hoped to hear.  The light show was really  nice  -
they  were  the first band to actually have some  darkness  after
this sun-ravished day - but you need more than just a light  show
to have a good time. We spent most of the gig lying on the grass,
frolicking and having fun.
 At  the  end  of the day we went back home  with  a  feeling  of
contentness suffusing our bodies.  Well,  was suffused with it,
anyway.  For  Karin  to have been similarly  dipped  in  joyitude
(neologisms  rule!)  she  would have to have  seen  Joe  Jackson,
Midnight Oil and Crowded House too.  But the both of us had had a
good time,  which is really all that matters. BosPop certainly is
a festival that should have a great future ahead of it. With this
year's one having sold out completely, I suppose they'll have the
funds  and  confidence  to make next year's issue  an  even  more
impressive one.
 Like we say in the Netherlands: "Petje af!"


 Ahoy,  Rotterdam,  The Netherlands,  October 17th 1995.  Support
act: Milky.

 I  have  never  been as to a concert while as ill as  I  was  on
October  17th  1995.  But,  despite my throat  acheingly  causing
frequent cough attacks and my alternately clogged-up and  running
twin facial orifices, I surely wasn't going to let this go by me.
I had not in my life seen Rainbow perform, and if I could I would
certainly want to catch up on my serious lack of having seen them
perform   in  their  1976  heyday  (with   Dio-Cairey-Bain-Powell
accompanying  Blackmore).   Knowing  Blackmore's  grumpiness  and
adding  to that my severe cold,  I had a hunch the evening  would
not be an unequivocal success.
 It started off at 20:15 with Milky.  Nobody seemed ever to  have
heard of this band,  and neither had I.  They seemed like a bunch
of  new  hippies with a taste of the Black Crowes and  a  bit  of
grunge thrown in for good (good?!) accord. One of their songs was
called "Milkyway"; at least it showed they had a sense of humour.
One  of  the songs - I'm buggered if I know what  it's  called  -
sounded fairly OK.  But I don't think a soul wept when they  took
their gear off-stage after half an hour of uneventfulness.
 At  21:15 the lights went off once more when the  Rainbow  intro
tape  started.  It  started  off with  some  seriously  bombastic
classic  stuff that I wouldn't mind checked out if someone  tells
me  who  composed it,  followed dutifully by "Land  of  Hope  and
Glory".  The audience sang along instinctively, until the "Wizard
of Oz" excerpt started...
 ..."Toto,  I guess we're not in Kansas anymore...we must be over
the rainbow...rainbow...rainbow"...
 ...launching  the  band into "Spotlight Kid",  one of  the  best
post-Dio songs Rainbow ever did.  True to the song's  title,  all
the bloody stage's lights started flashing in a visual  cacophony
of  strobes.  I  had never been this close to  Blackmore,  and  I
couldn't  help  feeling,  well,  blessed in a way.  Here  I  was,
photographing, witnessing up close the guy that started my guitar
interests back in 1980 or thereabouts.  For years he had been  my
number one guitarist,  until around 1987 when I discovered Yngwie
 The new Rainbow was a pleasant surprise.  Although bassist  Greg
Smith  seemed  pretty  boring  and  politely  (or   necessarily?)
refrained  from  doing  spectacular  fretwork,  keyboardist  Paul
Morrir was quite capable. During a rather too long solo he showed
he could play etudes/arpeggios/whatchamacallem artfully.  Looks a
bit  like  a  girl,  though.  Singer Dougie  White  was  quite  a
discovery.  Acting  a lot like Bruce Dickinson,  he knew  how  to
sweep  up the crowd and did a good job on the vocals of both  the
new  and  the older material put on display.  The drummer  was  a
woodchopping kind of dude. His solo was utterly superfluous (even
more  so than the "hey I know my tricks" keyboard solo).  It  was
Chuck  Bürghi,  actually,  who  played  in  Rainbow  before;  the
"Stranger  in  us  All" studio drummer  left  Rainbow  in  August
 Anyway, back to the set.
 Vocally  supported  by  a  blonde girl  in  wings  -  apparently
Blackmore's new girlfriend Candice Night - the band launched into
"Too  Late  for  Tears" off the  new  album.  Quickly  it  became
apparent  that  Blackmore  was having one of  his  more  inspired
evenings.  Although he (modestly?) spent most time at the back of
the  stage,  directing the proceedings as it were,  he  sometimes
came  to the front and once even lay flat on the stage  to  reach
out and shake a few hands.  He even,  yes,  ladies and gentlemen,
smiled several times.  Yes,  this was going to be an unexpectedly
nice evening after all!
 It  is truly quite amazing how an experience like that can  make
you less ill for a while.
 After "Too Late..." they launched into "Long Live  Rock'n'Roll",
into  which  were woven bits of "Black Night"  and  some  operaic
stuff.  I saw Ritchie demonstrating to Greg how to play the  riff
with  one hand,  nodding when Greg copied it dutifully.  I  don't
think there is much possible debate about who runs this show.
 Accompanied by an interesting light show,  a running-and-leaping
Dougie White and Blackmore being almost classically excellent, we
got  to hear just about all the classics and plenty  of  material
from "Stranger in Us All":  "Hunting Humans (Insatiable)", "Still
I'm  Sad" (the new version),  "Difficult to Cure",  "Man  on  the
Silver Mountain", something-old-something-new-something-borrowed-
something-"Blues",   "Black  Masquerade",  "Wolf  to  the  Moon",
"Ariel" (excellent song), "Temple of the King" (which was quite a
surprise, off the very first album and never before played as far
as I know),  "Rainbow Eyes" (an even bigger surprise,  more about
which  later),  Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" and "Since  You
Been Gone" (which got the crowd  rockin',  predictably),  closing
off  with the ever increasing tempo of the  classically  inspired
"Hall of the Mountain King". They might have played "Cold Hearted
Woman", too.
 Especially "Rainbow Eyes" was a huge surprise, mightily chuffing
me  despite the fact that they only played the first few  minutes
(warning: There's human interest coming up).
 Don't you also have a couple of songs that really remind you  of
a  particular  part of your life?  Well,  I've got  a  few,  too.
There's "Black Night", which flings me back mentally to a weekend
in which I'd snogged my first love (Patricia,  1981). There's the
whole  "Awake"  CD and "A Change of Seasons" that makes  me  feel
once more the loneliness that was in me during Karin's Bristolian
absence  last academic year.  And there is "Rainbow  Eyes",  too,
which  I got somewhere in 1987 or something.  I was at  the  time
visiting  various games at the "Haarlemse Softball Week" and  had
fallen head-over-heels in love with this American softball player
called Kim <sigh>. Of course, it was destined to fail, but around
that  time I also got "Long Live Rock'n'Roll" on vinyl  and  that
had "Rainbow Eyes" on it. A really nice ballad. Sometimes I still
think back of the summer of '87.  Hell,  if I were Bryan Adams  I
might write a song about it. Likely not, though.
 Back  to  the matters of the day.  Let's not overdo  this  human
interest (or is it Richard interest?) lark too much.
 Of  course,  the  audience wasn't satisfied with the  meagre  90
minutes  offered so far.  Whistles and cries filled the  hall.  I
think  most of the audience knew they'd be coming  back.  Encores
are as matter-of-fact as the rain these days,  and everybody knew
they'd  at least play "Smoke on the Water" before they headed  to
the  next venue location.  And back they came,  kicking off  into
"Burn" and, indeed, "Smoke on the Water". It was great to be part
of that crowd then, and I even sang along despite my awful throat
with the first few minutes of the song that Dougie White  allowed
us to sing solo as it were.
 They  left  the  stage again,  but  the  crowd  went  positively
frantic.  To my enormous surprise,  they came back a second time.
Blackmore, too. Was this truly this special to them? Apparently.
 Dougie  started  off  singing an  almost  a-capella  version  of
Nazareth's "Love Hurts". The audience didn't like it, though, nor
did  Blackmore,  I think.  "Black Night" followed,  and  I  think
another song,  too. Slipped my mind, though. Might have been Jimi
Hendrix' "Hey Joe", that I'm sure they played but I don't know if
it was part of one of the encores or of the main gig.
 After  a total of two hours,  they left the stage for the  third
and final time.  No more encores, baby, they'd played enough. And
I think nobody really had anything to complain.  Well, of course,
being  my  usual demanding self,  I did have  one  wish  left:  I
would've  loved  to hear them do my all-time fave  Rainbow  song,
"Stargazer". They didn't.
 Rainbow  is  no  longer  the band  of  20  years  ago.  No  long
instrumental  passages  so clearly prevalent on  "On  Stage"  and
"Rainbow  Live in Germany 1976",  but a set containing  more  and
shorter  songs.  It's different and not  necessarily  worse.  But
despite  the  fact that this was a  completely  unexpected  great
concert (pessimism has its good sides,  you see?),  I will always
feel  frustrated about not having been able to go to  Germany  in
1976,  when  Rainbow was a true legend.  Maybe I should blame  my
parents for my being only 9 at the time.
 In  which  case  I  might as well  start  blaming  them  for  my
having  had  the really tender age of merely 1 year at  the  time
when Jimi Hendrix played Woodstock...

Yngwie Malmsteen

 Tivoli, Utrecht, The Netherlands, November 8th 1995.

 The  day  on  which this concert  happened  had  sucked.  Around
midnight  I  had  had a row with Karin which I  felt  could  have
culminated  into an emotional thing like breaking up  (it  wasn't
until  about  a day later that we saw it had  really  been  quite
silly  and  not even close to breaking up,  but at  the  time  it
seemed quite different),  and when I came back to my room I found
a letter from my landbitch saying that,  well,  she was sorry and
everything  but  she was moving out and all,  so I  had  to  find
another room. Be out by January 15th.
 I  wasn't  feeling well.  Shit like that reflects itself  on  my
stools,  so I quickly developed a strange feeling in my  stomach.
Diarrhoea, I knew.
 Yngwie  Malmsteen  was playing in my home town of  Utrecht  that
evening.  I  just knew I wouldn't be able to have to fun I'd  had
last  time (during the "Seventh Sign" tour) when I had  witnessed
the whole soundcheck and had made some excellent pictures, not to
mention an interview with the man.
 As it happened, the day turned out to be entertaining anyway. At
17:25  - after two and a half hours of waiting - Yngwie and  band
arrived at Tivoli and,  basically,  every fan who had bothered to
be  outside  at that moment could come in and see the band  do  a
soundcheck,  me among them.  The soundcheck was really cool,  the
band warming up to various Hendrix songs ("Red  House",  "Spanish
Castle Magic",  "Purple Haze"),  Black Sabbath songs ("Symptom of
the Universe" and "Iron Man"),  Deep Purple's "Burn",  some jazzy
stuff  and  some Malmsteen stuff such as "Fire in  the  Sky"  and
 After  that,  Yngwie and the rest of the band took time to  sign
whatever we wanted. Yngwie's foxy wife Amber was around, too, and
drew  pictures  on the posters that were  handed  to  her.  She's
pretty OK,  actually, despite her appearance when Yngwie asks her
on  stage  before "Forever One".  When not part of  Yngwie's  ego
display she's much more confident and less shy.  Yngwie showed us
pictures  of him jamming with Uli Roth (ex-Scorpions),  a  guitar
player  that he's really a fan of.  He seemed happy as a  kid.  I
talked  to his new drummer,  Shane Galaas,  who turned out to  be
small,  from Canada, and into death metal. Cool dude! Some of the
other guys present had questions about his guitars,  after  which
he  took out various axes and showed them,  allowed them to  hold
them  a  bit  and  study them  up-close  (Yngwie's  guitars  have
scalloped   fretboards  and  stuff  done  to  the   electronics).
Unbelievably relaxed and cool,  all of this.  Malmsteen might  be
arrogant  to  the world,  but he's just cool when  surrounded  by
 We had to get out again until the doors opened,  at 20:30.  Dash
inside,  secure  a spot in front of the stage,  and  stick  there
until  the very end of the concert,  almost straight in front  of
Malmsteen and right against the stage.
 Yngwie's  got a moustache and beard now but still  uses  make-up
rather a lot.  He even accentuates his eyebrows.  Come on,  dude,
you don't need that shit!  Made some good pictures,  anyway, some
of which are of magazine quality.  Yngwie is one mean poser,  and
that's exactly what the camera eye wants.
 Despite the that he'd told us he'd play for about 90 minutes, in
fact  he  played  for almost a full  two  hours.  The  crowd  was
insanely  enthusiastic,  and  the guys in front of him  were  all
playing air guitar and flipping out.  I had needed something like
this on a day that sucked as heavily as it had done so far. Got a
guitar pick (and gave away two other ones I got) and a good time.
The  concert experience was even cooler than the previous  tour's
one.  I was even closer, and I'll be damned if Yngwie didn't play
more  accurate  because he knew the guys up front were  the  same
that  had  seen  the  soundcheck and who  all  were  avid  guitar
 Well...erm...which  songs  did  he  play?  He  kicked  off  with
"Vengeance"  and "No Love Lost",  both off the new  album.  After
that (in random order) he played "Far Beyond the Sun", the guitar
solo (including the "Krakatau" and "Trilogy" bits),  "Never Die",
"Seventh Sign",  "Voodoo" (which ended awesomely with some guiter
hurling  and  string  pulling,  superb  song!),  "Overture  1677"
(wow!),  "I'd Die Without You", "Forever One" (where Amber had to
come on stage and kiss him - or,  rather, the air near his cheek)
and "Crash and Burn".  He came back for a great encore consisting
of  "Too Young to Die,  Too Drunk to Live" (Alcatrazz oldie  from
1983), "Black Star" and "I'll See the Light Tonight".
 Throughout  the  gig  I got the impression  that  bassist  Barry
Sparks is really an amazing bass player who just doesn't get  the
attention he deserves.  That's a shame, I think. Yngwie stole the
show,  as usual,  and at one instance he did his "guitar  strings
shoving on the monitor speaker" bit that I had but seconds before
been  leaning on.  I strummed the strings,  making noise  on  his
guitar in concert! Wow!
 I was glad he played no "Heaven Tonight",  and nothing off "Fire
& Ice".  He's getting selective,  and I think his last two albums
and his debut are the best anyway.
 Before  I  left the hall I bought a super-cool  "Yngwie  Who?  -
Yngwie fucking Malmsteen that's who!" T-shirt.  All in  all,  the
day had been compensated in the sucking department.

Joe Satriani

 Ahoy,  Rotterdam,  The Netherlands,  November 10th 1995. Support
act: Brother Cane.

 Want to know what the row Karin and me had had was about? It was
about  the choice of person that I went to the  Satriani  concert
with:  Miranda.  It just seemed pretty harmless to me, and indeed
it turned out to be. We went with her car, which almost meant our
missing Satriani because there were so many traffic queues on the
road from Utrecht to Rotterdam that it almost seemed  insane!  We
arrived - having excreted more than the usual amount of adrenalin
- at 20:15.  The support act,  Brother Cane, had already started.
Nothing  missed,  there.  In this case the support act to me  was
just  a  buffer  that prevented me from being  too  late  to  see
Satriani right from the start.
 If  you've read the CD reviews you know I am not too much  taken
away by Joe's new album,  "Joe Satriani".  That,  as well as  the
fact  that  he  had now moved up from  the  cosy  2,500  capacity
Vredenburg to the totally uncosy 10,000 capacity Ahoy Hall,  made
me  sceptic.  But  I sure as hell wasn't going to miss  my  first
chance of ever making pictures of the man,  what with Sony  music
having granted me a photo pass!  Besides, he now had his old band
with him again: The amazing Stuart Hamm on bass and the almost as
amazing Jonathan Mover on drums. Jeff Campitelli (who, as some of
you might now, played drums on some earlier albums) played rhythm
 Satch  kicked off with the laid-back "Cool #9",  the first  song
off the new album.  Didn't do much for me, really, even though it
contains  some  good  guitar  work.  "Flying  in  a  Blue  Dream"
followed,  one  of my favourite songs,  sending shivers  down  my
spine  right  from  the first sounds  of  feedback,  followed  by
"Summer Song".  Made some excellent pictures (for  info,  contact
 The concert was OK until Stuart Hamm started his bass  solo.  It
was  now  quite different from the ones I'd heard him do  on  the
"Flying..." Satch tour and on his own "The Urge" solo album,  and
even  more brilliant.  I always used to think he lacked  a  solid
rhythm,  but now he has it. For me, his bass solo was the turning
point in the concert,  when things started somehow to feel  cosy.
Ahoy  was shrinking in my mind,  and it was just a lot of  people
seeing  Joe play guitar,  his band shining as much as he  himself
 Live,  the  new album songs do sound better than on  the  album.
More alive,  throbbing with some kind of pulse.  Still, the older
songs got me going more.  Of the songs I can still  remember,  he
did "If",  "Down,  Down,  Down", "(You're) My World", "Killer Bee
Bop",  "Luminous Flesh Giants" (all off the new  album,  possibly
"Home" too),  "Memories",  "Always with me Always with you", "Ice
Nine",  "Satch Boogie",  "The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing",
"The Extremist" and "Big Bad Moon" before he left the  stage.  He
came back for an encore that,  as far as I could judge, consisted
of three songs,  starting off with "Surfing with the Alien". When
the song had almost ended I went outside. I was not going to take
any chances and really wanted to meet him after the show.
 As it happened,  I could have stayed inside,  no problem. He did
two more songs (Miranda said one was off the new album,  but  she
didn't know which songs they were) and then quit at about 23:00.
 At around 23:20 Stuart Hamm came out.  After putting some  stuff
in the bus he came back to sign, by which time Jonathan Mover and
Jeff Campitelli had also come out.  They were totally relaxed and
talked  about  a  variety of stuff,  signing  CD  liners.  I  was
breathing  the same air as the best bass player in  the  universe
for a few minutes,  there.  Quite amazing. I cursed at myself for
only having taken Satriani CD liners with me; I could easily have
gotten the 3 Stuart Hamm solo CDs signed,  too, but I'd left them
at home <short moment of sadness>.
 At about 23:45,  Joe came out.  He signed a lot of stuff and had
his  picture taken with loads of fans (Miranda's dream came  true
there).  At  00:00  the  tour  bus had left  and  the  fans  were
dispersing. The end to a really interesting day.

 More in future issues... 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.