Skip to main content
? Genius

 "How do two millipedes walk when they're in love?"
 "Hand in hand in hand in hand in hand in hand....."

                             PART II
                        NOVEMBER 7TH 1991
    (Accompanied by some miscellaneous notes for foreigners)

                      by Richard Karsmakers

 The  second  part of the Pilgrimage to  the  Plantiac  Factories
started only a short time after the first part, when I called the
UTO in Schiedam.
 Mr.  van  Zee,  the man who had toured us through  the  Sonnema-
Plantinga  Distillery,  had  given us the phone  number  of  this
company. He didn't give us a big chance of actually being able to
get a tour there but, so he said, we could always try.

 Note #1: The UTO Company
 For  those of you who have not read the first part of  the  Holy
Pilgrimage: We journeyed down to the Sonnema-Plantinga Distillery
in the Friesian town of Bolsward, on our search for the origin of
Plantiac Vieux, the Divine Fluid. Unfortunately, due to a massive
mistake  somewhere  along  the line (including the  fact  that  a
bottle  of  Plantiac proudly states to be made in  the  Plantinga
Distillery in Bolsward), Plantiac was NOT made there.
 It  was very entertaining,  of course,  but it turned  out  that
Plantiac was made by the UTO Company in Schiedam for the last  20
years  or  so.  Which  is  in a totally  different  part  of  the

 So,  on  one distinctly dreary and rainy day,  I called the  UTO
Company.  A  female employee by the name of Mrs.  Kort  (English:
Mrs.  Short)  happened to answer the phone.  Upon  her  shoulders
dropped  the  fate of having to listen to a  complete  recital  I
burst forth about ST NEWS,  Bolsward,  Mr.  van Zee,  and a  Holy
Desire to visit the Plantiac Factories.
 She  really didn't like what she had to tell me: Tours were  not
given  at  the  UTO  Company.  They did  do  tours  in  a  sister
distillery where they made a kind of gin called "Notaris"  (which
we had also heard about during part I of the Pilgrimage), but the
actual  main factory hall was off limits to the  public.  It  had
never before happened and it would never happen.
 I  felt my chair slowly give way below me.  Was this to  be  the
cruel death of the second part of this Holy Quest?  Nipped in the
bud in its earliest stage?
 I gathered my voice,  trying desperately not to have it  tremble
too much. I asked if it could perhaps maybe be possible to make a
tiny little exception.
 There  was  a moment's silence on the other side of  the  phone.
Apparently,  such  blatant  boldness had never  been  encountered
 "Why this particular interest in Plantiac Vieux?" she asked.
 "Well," I replied without hesitating,  "because it simply tastes
 There  was  another  moment's silence,  after  which  she  asked
whether I would hold.
 I answered confirmative,  a faint flame of hope kindling in  the
depth of my heart.  She left me listening to some Everly Brothers
 Then she returned.
 "Yeah, yeah?!"
 "Well  I had never considered this possible,  but you can get  a
 "...."  (I  didn't utter any sounds but my heart leapt  and  the
kindling flame flared into a virtually uncontrollable blaze)
 "Mister? Are you alright?"
 "Yeah, yeah!"
 I was happy again. The Quest would happen. The first part of the
Pilgrimage would find a worthy sequel. The sheer thought of never
being  able  to visit the Plantiac Factories had left me  with  a
feeling of thorough depression,  but now I felt as though I could
handle anything life was prepared to hurl at me.
 She went forth to explain something about the production process
in use at the UTO Company,  which resulted in it being impossible
to  pinpoint  a date for the  Visit  already.  Several  different
products were made and bottled using the same main assembly line,
and only when a need occurred would Plantiac be made again.  That
could  be days or weeks,  or even months.  We would have to  wait
until such an event would occur.  She would have someone call  us
at least one week beforehand.
 I put the phone down in a state of bliss.
 The Visit would happen.

Religious ecstasy & pious anticipation

 On my way to the bathroom on the morning of Wednesday,  November
6th, the phone rang. Careful so as not to reveal the nakedness of
my physique to the entire world outside the living room windows I
stalked  up to the phone,  lifted off the receiver and  spoke  my
 My heart started beating in my throat when I heard on the  other
side the voice of UTO Company's Mrs. Kort - she who was to me the
Arch Angel of the Divine Fluid.
 She  told  me she had already tried to contact me  once  before,
somewhere  at the beginning of August she seemed to recall  (i.e.
precisely during the time I was at the Delta Force  International
Coding  Conference  #2,  having toothpaste put in my  hair  among
other things).
 I humbly apologized for not being there, which she accepted.
 "Anyway," she told me in a voice that started to sound like that
of  an angel more and more,  "we'll be producing  Plantiac  again
tomorrow afternoon.  If you can come,  you'll be expected at 1400
hours by Mr. van de Klooster."
 That day after,  I had my weekly day off from  University.  This
was brilliant,  just brilliant.  Everything couldn't possibly  be
more perfect. I was about to weep with joy.
 I will save you the further major part of the conversation which
entailed the explanation of how to get to the UTO Company by car.
 I went to great length to thank Mrs.  Kort,  put down the  phone
and immediately called Stefan,  our beloved Master Undead  Ex-Ex-
Editor, at his work.
 He  was in - which was an exception all of its  own,  worthy  of
 However,  he told me he would not be able to go that next day as
he would have to go so some convention where a couple of thousand
people  would  attend.  Postponing would be  impossible,  and  he
simply had to go. With a voice that told me he was on the edge of
a mental breakdown he blessed me, told me I should go alone.
 "Just be as verbose as possible in your descriptions," he  said,
almost  sobbing,  "and  make sure you get everything you  get  in
 I promised him to do whatever I could.
 With a sense of desolation I put down the phone again.
 I would have to go alone,  without the inspiring company of  The
One Master Editor.  And,  what was even worse,  I'd have to go by
Public Transport - God knows how far the UTO Company would be off
the nearest bus station!
 I rung back Mrs. Kort, telling here that I would come alone.
 I  will  save  you  the major part  of  the  conversation  which
entailed  the  explanation of how to get to the  UTO  Company  by
Public Transport.
 At  least the UTO Company turned out to be only an estimated  10
minutes' walk from the nearest train station.
 The Visit would happen. The day after.

The Visit

 Much  like  the  day on which the first part  of  this  Plantiac
Pilgrimage  took place,  the day of this Visit was a dreary  one.
The sky was an even light grey with the odd patch of  dark.  Rain
fell from it at irregular intervals and in irregular quantities.
 I  left at noon. Autumn's presence was predominant in  the  wind
that tugged at my coat and the leaves that fell down and clung to
the wet streets and pavements.
 In a bag I had all necessary equipment with me:  A  camera,  the
Aiwa  (Dolby  B,  stereo record,  etc.)  Walkman  annex  Hangover
Obliteration  Device  and  Craig  Shaw  Gardner's  "A  Malady  of
Magicks" to read in the train.  In my back pocket I had a  wallet
containing  money (one can never know what one wants to  purchase
when in a distillery) and my OV-studentenkaart.

 Note #2: The OV-studentenkaart
 In Holland, all people above 18 and below 27 who still study get
a  grant  by the government.  This basically consists of  a  BASE
grant  of almost 600 guilders and the part that the  parents  are
supposed  to pay.  If your parents don't earn enough  money,  the
government  pays the parent bit as well - with a direct  interest
of over 11% (interest upon interest).
 Before  the middle of 1990,  each student could have his  travel
costs  to  and fro school registered and paid for.  As  this  was
considered too much work for the government in the long run, they
introduced the OV-studentenkaart.  This card allows you to travel
for free in all Dutch buses, trains and subways.
 This  may sound like heaven on earth to you,  but this  is  only
partly the case.  For example, if you'd live on the other side of
the  road  where  your  school  lies,  you'd  get  one  of  those
cards,  too.  And the government substracts about 50 guilders per
month for that card.  EVERYBODY gets one,  even if they'd  rather
have those 50 guilders.  The price of the card increases with  48
guilders per year for the next couple of years,  while the grants
are frozen.  College money will increase by 100 guilders per year
for the next couple of years,  too. Still, the grants will remain
 I  will not start discussing the financial problems of  students
in this bit.  I trust you know now what the OV-studentenkaart is,
and  that's  what this entire note was started for in  the  first

 I was well on time to catch my train.  As a matter of  fact,  my
arrival  at  the station was that much in time that I  still  had
time to buy a bunch of flowers for Mrs. Kort and to check out the
station kiosk for the latest "Zero".  Although there were  plenty
of flowers,  the December issue of the cult computer mag was  not
yet to be seen.
 The  thing  that  struck me most was the fact  that  the  entire
station, each and every platform, was thoroughly scenting of fresh
baked bread - something which is normally hardly the case as  the
smell  of  oil,  steel and urine is much  more  persistent.  This
unusual smell was enough to make my mouth water,  to make my eyes
search  for  the  source and to make my wallet ache  to  be  made
emptier.  I could not locate the source of the smell fast  enough
to enable me to do any buying before the train arrived.
 Just  before  I got on the train,  I felt a slight touch  at  my
shoulder, followed by the descent right before me of a one-legged
pigeon.  It looked at me in a way that could only have been evil.
Was this a bad omen?  Was I to be assaulted by another series  of
bad  luck,  effectively  disabling me from  reaching  my  target,
keeping  me from the utter adoration and appraisal of the  Source
of all Divine Fluid?
 I decided not to heed it. Trembling somewhat, I got on.
 The train left at 12:47.
 I continued reading Stefan's "A Malady of Magicks".  I found the
book to improve the closer I got to Rotterdam.  Especially as  of
chapter seven,  it started to be what I had expected of it: Quite
original and very funny.
 But these semi-literary observations are of no relevance to  the
rest of this story.

 At  Rotterdam Central Station,  I began to sense I  was  getting
closer.  A  quarter  of  an hour's wait  separated  me  from  the
departure  of  the train to Schiedam-Rotterdam  West,  which  was
scheduled to happen at 13:40.
 Lucky enough,  said train was already waiting.  I got on it. The
view  of  a truly beautiful female with two even  more  beautiful
legs  clad in incredibly thin silk tights formed the good omen  I
had needed after that invalid dove.
 I breathed deeply. All was well now.
 Someone next to me ate one of those deliciously smelling  pieces
of freshly baked bread.

 At precisely 13:44 the train halted at Schiedam-Rotterdam  West.
Shaking with anticipation, I jumped off and headed for the exit.
 Mrs.  Kort had made me write down a short description of how  to
get to the actual buildings of the UTO Company,  and I was  fully
prepared to undertake the short journey.
 The  quite  torrential  downpour prevented  me  from  doing  so,
however.  It  suddenly made me remind a quite apt description  of
'heavy  rain' that Terry Pratchett used in his book "Truckers"  -
'a sea with vertical slots in it',  or something thereabouts. So,
instead,  I  took  a 'traincab' and had that take me to  where  I
wanted to go: Zijlstraat 6.

 Note #3: The 'traincab' (Dutch: Treintaxi)
 Last  year,  the  Dutch  Railways introduced  the  principle  of
'traincabs'  in  a couple of big cities.  By  now,  it  has  been
introduced in lots of somewhat smaller towns as well.
 Basically,  a  'traincab'  can  take you from or  to  a  railway
station, provided that the distance is not too big. For this, you
have  to  buy a 'traincab ticket' at the  railway  station  which
costs  5 Dutch guilders - which you can only buy when  showing  a
train ticket or the OV-studentenkaart I mentioned above.
 The 'traincab' is quite a bit cheaper than regular cabs (50-100%
cheaper, I'd guess).

 At several minutes to two, the cab dropped me off where I wanted
to  be.  Before me I saw a fairly large complex with neon  lights
"UTO" on top of it, not lit.
 It  was  located in a somewhat dilapidated  part  of  town,  the
neighbourhood  where you'd not particularly like to walk  in  the
dead  of  night,  and where you'd not be advised to  park  a  car
without its burglar alarm switched on.
 It  was altogether quite awfully much more un-romantic than  the
folklore-ridden  distillery  we had  visited  in  folklore-ridden
 Number 6 was a somewhat stylish 18th century house. I entered.
 A camera sensed my presence and started transmitting my image to
a room beyond my immediate vision. I pressed a button next to the
name "Mr. van de Klooster", after which a buzzing sound indicated
I could push open the next door.
 I advanced into the elongated hallway of the old house, somewhat
at a loss of where to go.  In the background I heard the noise of
many  empty bottles.  I decided to head straight on,  guessing  I
looked  quite silly with raindrops on my glasses and a  bunch  of
flowers in my hand.
 From one of the rooms in the rear a long man in his mid fifties,
wearing  a  grey  striped  suit,    emerged  to  welcome  me.  He
introduced himself as Rinus van de Klooster (which, accidentally,
would translate to 'Rinus of the Monastery' in English). Although
he  had a sweaty handshake,  he proved to be the jovial  type  of
chap, with an elaborate moustache, greying hair and quite a large
spot of baldness.
 He beckoned me to temporarily store the flowers in some water in
the  kitchen as Mrs.  Kort turned out to be in  another  building
altogether, in the marketing department. I could see her later.
 It was then that it dawned on me. Through a door I saw an office
of which the back wall was made of glass,  as if looking outside.
Through that glass I could see the production hall, and the noise
of  empty  bottles  I had heard earlier had been  that  of  empty
Plantiac bottles!
 For a moment I reeled,  feeling overcome with emotions and utter
religious ecstasy.  I quickly regained my composure, however, and
followed Mr. van de Klooster into the office.
 The office was quite spacy. Two PC's of some previous generation
were positioned on desks, together with the usual utensils office
people need to work with. Really boring, really.
 Most prominent in the office, however, was a wall that displayed
each  and  every  kind of bottle (with  contents)  they  produced
and/or bottled at the UTO Company.  There must have been at least
200  bottles,   containing  many  different  kinds  of  alcoholic
beverages including different kinds of Vieux, liqueurs, gin (that
which  I  called 'geneva' in Part I of the Pilgrimage)  and  even
whisky and vodka.
 I  took off my coat while keeping the immense wall of  alcoholic
delicacies in sight.  Impressive. Very impressive. I had expected
them to do about two dozen different drinks,  but this was beyond
what I had expected.
 After  Mr.  van de Klooster had finished his cup of  coffee,  we
went down to the production floor.


 As the door to the production hall opened,  the muffled sound of
empty  bottles  turned  into  the cacophony  of  glass  noise  so
characteristic of bottleries.
 The radio blared Michael Jackson's new single,  "Black'n'White";
John de Bruyn would have loved this.
 Lift  trucks were driving to and fro with pallets filled  either
with empty bottles or filled 12-bottle Plantiac cartons.  One  of
the drivers jocularly told my part-time guide to stay out of  the
way  and  to keep an eye on 'the visitor' (i.e.  me)  as  regular
company policy was never to have any guided tours.
 I  was explained that this was the busy time of  year.  November
and  December usually get more demand - due to the  cold.  People
obviously like a nice drink to warm their insides.

 The  production  hall  featured  three  large,  fully  automated
production  lines,  the biggest of which was at the moment  being
used to bottle Plantiac.  A fourth one, secluded from the others,
was  used for smaller orders such as those of miniature  (i.e.  2
cl) bottles.  A fifth one was in another room  altogether,  which
was used for exclusive limited-quantity stuff solely.
 By the end of eight working hours that day,  the main production
line would have bottled 30,000 litres of Plantiac.  About once  a
month they do a day of Plantiac production,  amounting to 360,000
litre  a year,  of which nothing is exported and most is sold  to
the Northern part of the Netherlands.  During the fifteen minutes
I  spent  at  the production platform I  witnessed  almost  1,000
bottles of Plantiac being made ready for utmost enjoyment by real
Vieux lovers.

 The production hall was the nerve centre of the  company.  Metal
conduit-pipes ran to and fro other rooms around the  hall,  where
the storage rooms were situated.
 On  the  contrary  to our experience  at  the  Sonnema-Plantinga
Distillery  in Bolsward,  the smell of alcohol was  prevalent  at
this production platform.  As we walked past the conveyor belt on
which  the  empty bottles were lead to the  filling  machine,  it
quickly  started to smell as if one was actually hanging above  a
swimming pool filled with Plantiac - a heart-warming sensation, I
can assure you.
 The  sight  of  the  filling machine  'in  action'  is  quite  a
sensation of its own,  too. On one side of its revolving vertical
cylinder the empty bottles come in, and as they turn around in it
you see the Divine Fluid being poured into them,  gently foaming,
dark brown, beautiful, delicious, nicely fragrant.
 Filled  to  the brim with copious quantities  of  Plantiac,  the
bottles progress on another conveyor belt to the screwing machine
(For  lack  of a better word:  The machine which  screws  on  the
caps).  After  that,  they get a code ink-printed on each cap  by
means  of  which it is possible to identify when  and  where  the
bottle  was  filled  (something which  applies  to  all  products
bottled at the UTO Company, see further for an explanation).
 This  coding system is necessary to enable UTO Company to  check
back  where the source of an error was in the case of one of  the
possible  complaints:  A carton containing less than 12  bottles,
bottles  not being fully filled,  or quality not being up to  the
usual standard.
 The  first mistake should never occur,  van de Klooster  assured
me,  as  the machine that puts the bottles in the  cartons  stops
when it fails to grab 12 bottles.  It is,  however, possible that
the machine is restarted before the required number of 12 bottles
in that particular carton is actually present.
 The second mistake,  again,  should never occur.  Someone at the
production  platform is always monitoring  the  filling.  Someone
else checks the machine that puts the pallets of empty bottles in
the  sorting mechanism that puts them in a queue on the  conveyor
belt and,  finally,  someone is present to check on the packaging
 Complaints  about  quality  can  occur  too;   samples  of  each
production  session  of  each product are  retained  at  the  UTO
Company  for later reference in these cases.
 After  the little device that sprays the code on the  caps,  the
Plantiac  labels are put on the bottles.  These labels are  coded
for  possible reference as well.  Each label is first  glued  and
then rolled onto the bottle.
 The  last  step  in the production process of  Plantiac  is  the
machine  that  lifts  up 12 bottles at a go and puts  them  in  a
Plantiac  carton  that is then automatically  glued,  sealed  and
piled  on  a  pallet  for lift  truck  transport  to  the  nearby
expedition centre.

Half a million litre of booze

 After  I  had  seen  everything there was  to  be  seen  at  the
production floor,  I was shown into the adjacent building of  the
old  distillery.  This part of the building,  he  estimated,  was
about 200 year old.  It was now filled solely with storage  tanks
of  the various alcoholic drinks UTO Company  manufactures.  They
towered  above me - huge,  shiny metal tanks that each  contained
thousands of litres of liquids that the average drunken bum would
sell his mother for.
 The largest storage tanks, however, were located right under our
feet and were referred to as 'ground tanks'. Each 12,500 litre in
size,  they contain even more liquids.  I was sent gazing into  a
manhole  through  which I could see 12,500 litre of  gin  (Dutch:
Jenever) being pumped around and mixed.  The scent was  distinct,
almost intoxicating.  It was as if I heard sirens chanting  their
alluring songs.
 It's  a  pretty weird experience once you  realise  that  you're
walking on top of thousands of litres of alcohol.
 "Before  the products are moved from these ground tanks  to  the
bottlery," van de Klooster explained,  "they get filtered as  you
will not find it hard to understand that it's easy for  something
off a shoe to drop in a hole like that, you know."
 He demonstrated how easy it was for some minor parts of dirt  to
fall in the hole. The sirens immediately stopped chanting.
 In total,  the UTO Company has about 30 to 40 of these  enormous
subterranean  tanks,  each  of almost 13,000 litre size -  21  of
those were located in the floor of the old distillery.  They  had
enough  stuff  there in the ground to cause at  least  a  million
moderately  to  extensively severe hangovers - and I  even  don't
take the tanks above the ground into account here.
 We walked on through the old building that was also filled  with
smaller  'soak  tanks'  (Tanks  where herbs  can  soak  into  the
individual products) until van de Klooster stopped before a stone
oven. Was that a lump of old memories he was swallowing?
 This  was  the only remaining of the old  distillery  ovens,  he
explained, still burnt on coal, wood and busted pallets. They did
not  use is much nowadays,  but some gin and liqueurs were  still
made with its assistance.

 The trembling of anticipation grew worse in me. I had yet to see
the  location where thousands of litres of Plantiac were  stored,
and  I could notice by the way my senses got into a higher  state
of  awareness  that it was getting  closer.  Closer  and  closer.
Slowly, but certainly.
 Before  he finally brought me to the last (and most  modern)  of
the storage rooms, he offered me a quick glimpse into the egg nog
room,  the  room  where  a  thick yellow  drink  called  egg  nog
('advokaat' in Dutch) is made.  Special equipment was needed  for
this,  as  that  stuff  needs to be cooked (with  egg  yolks  and
stuff)  instead of just put together and stirred like  the  other
 But then the Moment started.  I was led into a room where  about
two  dozen  huge metal cylinders stood.  They  stood  mighty  and
emotionless, almost defiant. I frantically scanned the chalkboard
writing  on them until I finally read "Vieux K.P." on  one  (K.P.
stands  for Klaas Plantinga,  the chap who invented the  original
Plantiac Vieux back in 1870).
 I was standing right in front of it.  A massive twelve  thousand
litre of the Divine Fluid.  If I would open the little tap on the
huge  container I could indulge myself in it,  drink it until  my
liver would budge.  If I would unscrew the large waterproof hatch
at its bottom I would be able to swim in it,  plunge in it. Drown
in it (Ah! Such Divine Death!).
 I  began  to  feel  warm  inside  from  the  sheer  exercise  of
fantasising  about interesting things to do with (or  in)  twelve
thousand litres of the Divine Fluid.
 For  a  time that could have been seconds or  minutes  I  stood,
aghast,  fascinated,  awed, trying intently to see the rich brown
colour of Plantiac beyond its rather sterile, shiny container.
 In this container, the Vieux was actually made. Principally, the
'making'  consists of the mixing of two different kinds of  Vieux
 (one made by Quest International in Naarden,  Holland,  and
the  other  made by a company called IFF in  Germany),  and  then
adding that to water and alcohol. The difference between Plantiac
Vieux and other kinds of Vieux (e.g. Kabouter Vieux, Gorter Vieux
and Vlek Vieux,  that they also manufacture) is principally  only
the ratio of the two different Vieux aromas. This ratio is secret
- I can usually get almost anything out of anyone, but Mr. van de
Klooster wouldn't budge and I didn't particularly want to  result
to physical violence.  He also mentioned the fact that other  raw
materials  may be added (he did not say whether or  not  anything
extra was actually added and, if it was, he would not reveal what
it was - another trade secret,  so he told me with a rather  smug
 I  think Mr.  van de Klooster almost had to physically  drag  me
away from the storage room into the next bit of our little guided

 Note #4: The Vieux aroma
 I   would   not  have  been  I  without  me   contacting   Quest
International  on my search for the list of ingredients that  are
put into their Vieux aroma - which is,  after all, the thing with
which everything starts.
 I  was  put through to at least five different  people,  one  of
which mentioned some things that went into a vieux aroma,  before
I  finally  got to someone who told me he would contact  UTO  for
their permission and call me back.
 I was not called back,  so I will therefore supply you with what
one  of the intermediaries told me.  I can tell you that some  of
the  ingredients would be fusel oil,  amyl  alcohols,  vanilline,
esters, 'blokdrop' (which may translate to 'block liquorice') and
prume extract.
 That's all I could get to know.

The laboratory

 Before a production session starts,  a sample of it is tested in
the laboratory,  a small secluded room adjacent to the production
hall.  This testing involves extensive chemical analysis to check
for the right amount of alcohol (35% for all kinds of Vieux)  and
all  that  stuff  that interests none but  those  of  a  chemical
persuasion.  It also,  however,  includes tasting each and  every
product, each time it is produced. Van de Klooster told me he did
some  of the tasting himself - which is not all that  magnificent
as  one may think,  as production usually starts at 9 AM and  the
tasting has to be done before that.
 For the chemical testing,  UTO Company employs a man in his  mid
twenties,  hair dyed black.  A black leather jacket hung  against
the door.  All I missed was some hardcore thrash music resounding
through the lab room.  I somehow found it hard to see this person
actually using the advanced chemical equipment on a table in  the
rear of the lab - but, then again, I'm just prejudiced here.
 There, they both attempted to reveal the bottle cap code to me.

 Note #5: The code
 The bottle code on the cap consists of a number of digits. These
digits represent the production line,  the day of the  year,  the
year  and  the  quarter  of  the  day.  This  all  sounds  pretty
unintelligible,  I  know,  but  let  me explain  by  means  of  a
practical example.
 The  hardcore thrash fanatic showed me a bottle of egg nog  with
the number 3301161. He explained that this means 'production line
3',  'the 301st day of the year' (this would mean October 28th in
this case,  as we had no leap-year),  'in the year 1991' and  'in
the  61st  quarter  of the day' (i.e.  between  15:00  and  15:15
 I did not get a chance to check the code of the Plantiac bottles
that  were  being produced,  but in case you get  a  bottle  with
'3311153'  or '3311154' you can cherish the thought that  I  have
witnessed  them  being bottled.  It also proves that  the  coding
system I was explained is actually correct.


 After the visit to the laboratory,  where I unfortunately didn't
get the honour of tasting some pre-prod Plantiac,  we went to the
actual expedition - the place where all UTO Company products  are
stored  and made ready to be shipped to licensed victuallers  and
the like.
 Due to certain custom laws,  all bottles were not allowed to  go
outside before they got shipped (don't ask me to explain this law
as I didn't quite get it myself).  For this purpose, they had not
torn  down  an extremely battered and ultra-old bit  of  building
that  joined  the  buildings  of  the  actual  factory  and   the
 This building had to be propped by metal supports, the same kind
you'd  normally  find  in coal  mines  and  such.  Without  these
supports, I am sure it would have collided as we spoke. The walls
were literally breathing age. You could smell it. It was as if we
entered a different era of time altogether - only the presence of
bright  yellow striping on the floor and the repeated passing  of
lift trucks with flashing lights reminded us that we were in fact
in modern times, in the year of The Pilgrimage, the year 1991.
 The building of the actual expedition company was modern  again,
and it was buzzing with activity.  Even more lift trucks drove to
and fro here,  and many people were busy compiling packages  that
needed  to  be  sent to retailers either in  the  Netherlands  or
 Here,  van de Klooster also told me that they imported and  sold
wine (mainly German),  sherry and port.  They didn't bottle  that
themselves, though - they import it with bottle and all.
 At this point, standing between racks piled with storage of many
different  kinds  of  UTO  Company  products  in  many  different
bottles,  I found the moment right to subtlely complain about the
fact that 'they only sell 1 litre bottles in Utrecht'.
 He got the hint,  turned around, dove into a carton and took out
two miniature bottles of Plantiac - the ones that are quite rare.
 We  walked back to the office now.  I had seen everything  there
was  to  see.  On the way back,  I did get a chance  to  catch  a
glimpse of their development laboratory - i.e.  a kind of kitchen
in  which lots of existing drinks are tried out when  mixed  with
Seven-Up  and  the  like,   creating  new  drinks  that  may   be
marketable.  Their  latest development was a kind of  vodka  with
lemon taste.

 We spoke a bit about marketing before he finally had to go  back
to  his usual work of making schedules and deciding what  product
would have to be next on the production list. He told me Plantiac
was  actually  one  of the major products  of  the  UTO  Company,
together with Mansion House whisky,  Vlek young gin (Dutch: Jonge
Jenever),  the Kabouter product brand and lots of liqueurs  among
which Cool Brazil (which was promoted a lot at the moment).
 They  don't advertise for Plantiac because it sells steadily  to
regular  buyers  -  especially in the North.  A  long  time  ago,
Plantiac  had  sponsored a Utrecht student society,  and  van  de
Klooster  claimed that would probably be the cause for it  to  be
available in selected shops in my home town.

Loose ends

 I left at three.
 Mr. van de Klooster had called Mrs. Kort to tell that I would be
arriving soon, holding a bunch of flowers.
 I thanked him for his time and the trouble of guiding me.  Again
I shook his sweaty hand and left.
 Mrs. Kort was in another building, at about 100 yards' distance.
It was raining quite heavily,  but I escaped major wetness.  Mrs.
Kort was in the new,  most modern part of the UTO complex,  which
housed the marketing-and export-departments.
 As I arrived she came down the stairs. My arch angel.
 She was an awfully nice woman who just refused to cease thanking
me  for the flowers.  She had rummaged through some  drawers  and
cupboards,  on  the  search for promotional material  they  might
still have lying around of days when Plantiac was still  promoted
 She had been able to find two decks of Plantiac cards and a  set
of  Bamzaaistokjes  ('little bamzaai sticks' - don't  ask  me  to
explain as I don't even know what to do with them in Dutch).  She
handed  them  to  me.  I received them  with  shaking  hands  and
carefully deposited put them in my bag.
 Now it was my turn to thank her.
 We talked a bit about Plantiac and ST NEWS,  after which she let
me out.

The hazardous bit

 It  was  raining  much more intensely when I  emerged  from  the
building again, at about ten minutes past three. Autumn was still
finding it necessary to make its presence known,  and started  to
soak my coat in not much of a gentle way.  The rain lashed at  my
face as the wind yet increased. I spat a curse and went in search
for the railway station.
 Chilled  and soaked to the bone I entered the main hall  of  the
station  after  a  quarter of an hour I had  spent  fighting  the
 I  went up to the platform where my train would leave  in  about
ten  minutes'  time.  I bought a Coke and a cheese  sandwich  and
listened to the sound of the birds whistling inside the  station.
This was soothing,  as outside there had merely been the sound of
wind and cars driving on wet streets, the downpour of rain.
 When the train finally arrived and I got in, I couldn't help but
wonder how much richer I was than all those people occupied  with
boring  parts  of  their  daily  routine.  I  had  seen  Plantiac
produced.  I  had seen the Creation of The  Divine  Fluid.  Utter
Religious Satisfaction.

 I  had  to  switch trains for the last  time  that  day  several
minutes later, at Rotterdam Central Station.
 Of  course,  my connecting intercity train left right before  my
eyes.  Another bad omen?  God - or Whoever - was surely punishing
me for the blasphemy I had committed that day.
 I  hoped  that  a  girl with beautiful legs  would  get  to  sit
opposite  me again when I finally entered another  train,  but  I
hoped  in vain.  For a couple of seconds.  a nice female did  sit
opposite me.  All she did, however, was look outside and suddenly
leave so she could get to another train.
 I was getting sick of bad omens.
 Of course, the train was delayed.
 It was near dark as I came home.

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.