Skip to main content

Chapter Thirty Six

    "The master of the present and future will constantly have to
    keep on adding new skills to old. What was valid yesterday is
   obsolete tomorrow."
                                              --Erich von Daniken

 Dot burst out of the building which housed her,  now  ex-,  jury
room and dashed across to the K-S cab which stood waiting nearby.
She quickly thumbed the 'plate beside the vehicle's  door,  which
slid aside instantly,  and dashed inside. She had barely sat down
before the door wooshed shut and the cab started on its way.
 These  cabs  did not contain  complex  portable  computers,  but
merely kept in touch with a central computer at their base. Since
this  particular cab belonged to the fleet owned by Sharon  Kelly
and   Graeme   Skildon  themselves,   that  computer   was   more
sophisticated than any of their rival companies.
 All   computer-navigated  public  taxis  contained  a   portable
Terminal on which to type your destination.  Most also offered  a
map  screen and stylus which could be used for the same  purpose.
At this moment,  however,  only those cabs operated by Kelly  and
Skildon themselves offered an actual VAS as a third alternative -
allowing  the  passenger to simply talk with the 'driver'  -  the
system answering to the name 'Kay-Ess.'
 The  design of the cab,  both interior and  exterior,  made  the
presence of a VAS obvious,  so Dot was instantly certain that she
would  receive a response when she asked,  "K-S,  where  are  you
taking me?"
 The VAS replied, instantly, "I have been directed to take you to
your home address, Dot."
 "Good," Dot replied. She considered adding, "And make it as fast
as  you  can,"  but  realised that it  would  be  useless  -  the
computer-navigated cab would always take the quickest route,  and
cover  it as quickly as was safely possible.  That was the  whole
point of using a computer.
 The  eighteen minute journey came to a halt,  some twenty  years
later, and Dot - from habit - glanced at the meter before she got
out.  Puzzled,  she asked,  despite her hurry, "K-S, why does the
fare meter still read zero?"
 "Because  the  fare has already been pre-paid by  Absolaam  Wye,
 "K-S, pass a message of thanks to him from me."
 Dot barely heard the VAS's reply of "Sure,  Dot" before she  was
out  of the cab and rushing at her home.  She thumbed the  'plate
beside the front door, which slid open at her touch, then stepped
inside.  There were sounds coming from the kitchen, so she headed
in that direction.
 In  the kitchen,  Gerald was busily preparing the evening  meal,
while the twins were setting the table. The boys, Adam and Shaun,
glanced up to see their mother.  The smiled and started to wander
in her direction until they saw her moving towards their  father,
obviously in a hurry.
 "Oh,  Gerald!"  she  cried as she embraced  her  husband.  After
holding him close a moment, kissing him fiercely, Dot pulled back
a  little to examine Gerald's face and body.  "Are you  alright?"
she asked,  concerned.  When he nodded,  and replied that he was,
her attitude changed entirely.
 "Why  didn't you tell me?" she shouted,  "Let me know  what  had
happened?" She started hitting him,  repeatedly but  lightly,  on
the chest - close to hysteria.  Only the presence of their  young
children held her back, and caused her to - fairly quickly - calm
down once more.
 "I'm sorry,  love," Gerald said,  warmly,  "But I didn't want to
worry you over nothing.  The boys have been wonderful, you know,"
he added,  with warm gratitude in his voice.  A quick jerk of his
head brought Shaun and Adam over to join them in the embrace.
 Dot  bent down to kiss their two sons on the cheek -  they  were
already   becoming  too  old  for  more  demonstrative   motherly
displays. "The Dictator says he tried to get you to interrupt the
trial," she said to Gerald.
 Dot's husband laughed.  Then,  "Well,  I suppose he did - in his
way," he said,  "But all the time he was saying I should let  you
know what had happened,  he had that terrible worried look on his
face  - it was bloody obvious that he would have hated  splitting
up your jury before the third trial case was over with."
 Dot's face bore a confused expression, so Gerald explained, "The
big test jury - oh,  no, of course. You wouldn't know, would you?
Well,  Sol  and  the other two have been having a big  row  about
whether  or  not a fundamentalist Christian could function  as  a
juror. He said that one could, they claimed he couldn't.
 "From what I've been hearing from Sol about your test cases,  it
looks like he won the argument.  Did the priest really vote  'Not
Guilty' on that last case?" he asked, seriously.
 "Of course he did," his wife replied,  slightly puzzled, "It was
the only verdict that made any sense."
 Gerry laughed again,  the sound cheering Dot up no  end,  before
answering.  "Take  a second look at the first  trial,  dear,"  he
said,  "I  think  you've  been too close to the  trees  -  you're
missing the wood entirely."
 Dot's  forehead  betrayed her thoughts as she  reconsidered  the
first trial.  Then a wave of realisation flooded her features  as
she tried - and failed - to reconcile the old 'Reverend Sessions'
with the new 'David.'
 Her mind quickly turned back to Gerald's  experiences,  however,
as she asked, "So - what happened up there, dear?"
 Gerry stepped back then paced over to the kettle. As he made two
cups  of tea and two of coffee - the twins preferred coffee -  he
slowly  outlined  the events of the accident.  "...As  it  turned
out," he added,  with some feeling,  "Sally had no need to  blame


 Sally  was  the astronaut whose job had been to check  that  the
cables were attached correctly.  It was discovered later that the
cable  hadn't snapped because it was under too much tension -  it
had been sheared right through by a million-to-one accident.
 Later  on,  the video records of the time of the  accident  were
closely examined, and they clearly showed a piece of space junk -
presumably  left  over  from one of the old  USA  or  USSR  space
missions - slicing through the cable. How that piece of junk came
to  be  in that unfortunate place at that  unfortunate  time  was
never   discovered  -  but  one  guess  was  that  one  or   more
micrometeorite impacts moved the thing around until,  by a  piece
of extraordinarily bad luck, it intersected the Phoenix's orbit.
 The scene at the time of the accident was confused.  People were
using  their dry ice push-tubes to manoeuver towards those  whose
suits  had been punctured by the cable - or,  in some  cases,  by
pieces  of their companions's exploded EVA suits.  Once those  in
difficulties  had  been  reached,  a crude  meteorite  patch  was
slapped on the tears and then that person had to be towed back to
the safety of the Mayfly.
 Since all of the injured were within a fairly small area of  the
Phoenix, it was always going to be difficult, even for those with
plenty of experience in handling push tubes,  to avoid collisions
as they moved.  The problem was compounded,  however, by the need
to avoid the still-lashing cable.  Even though its movements  had
slowed dramatically,  as its energy potential due to the  tension
it  had been under was dissipated into kinetic energy in  smaller
and  ever smaller chunks,  it was still moving quickly enough  to
shred the suits of the unwary.
 All this was problem enough, but still further difficulties were
caused  by those who nausea,  on seeing the exploded remnants  of
their  friends,  had got the better of them.  Those  people,  the
insides  of  their  faceplates  fogged with  what  had  been  the
contents  of their stomachs,  had to be towed back to the  Mayfly
 Not  only  to remove the navigation hazards  they  provided  for
their  comrades,  but also to get them out of their suits  before
they  choked on their own puke - a real danger  ordinarily,  made
more real, and more likely, in free fall.
 The  long push back to their quarters was simpler than the  fine
manoeuvering required to negotiate the cables and girders of  the
Phoenix,  so Gerald,  as a relatively-inexperienced tuber  (push-
tube user), quickly began the task of conveying the vomit-blinded
to  the Mayfly.  His first job,  then,  was to quickly lash  them
together for towing.
 This  he achieved in split-seconds,  merely grabbing  his  human
cargo  as his friends pushed them in his direction.  As  soon  as
they were gathered,  a quick pass around with a line enabled them
to  be taken across the gap to the orbiting barracks and  bundled
into the airlock.
 The  lock cycled and the group of three be-splattered  men  were
pushed into the Mayfly's interior, where Gerald expertly stripped
each man's helmet from his head - the fact that the vomit  stayed
where  it  was,  rather than floating around in  great  globules,
making him grateful once again for the pseudo-gravity imparted by
the craft's spin.
 The  three men - helmets removed,  and their mouths  cleared  of
detritus - then had plastic tubes passed down into their airways.
These  tubes  were  designed to  allow  them  to  breathe,  while
preventing the clogging of those airways with either vomit or the
man's tongue.  Each suit carried such a tube in the pocket on the
right thigh - the outer end of each tube designed to allow it  to
be connected to the pure oxygen tanks in the Mayfly.
 As  Gerald worked,  he called the others on their suit radios  -
asking that "The Doc" be brought in as quickly as possible.  "The
Doc" was so called because he was the only one of the crew with a
fairly-detailed medical knowledge.  They had all had some medical
training, but for something like this they really needed The Doc.
 Gerald  was shocked to learn that one of the exploding suits  he
had seen on his way over to the Phoenix had belonged to The  Doc.
Even now, his training did not desert him.
 He  rushed to the Mayfly-to-Ground video-link and  informed  the
ground crew of the accident.  They,  as it happened, were already
aware of it - having received video transmissions from orbit as a
matter  of  course - and told Gerald that doctors and  a  surgeon
were already on their way. And would be at Ecuador Ground Base in
a matter of minutes.
 "Just get the operating theatre ready," Gerald was  told,  "Open
it  up  and we'll check the radio- and  video-links  while  we're
waiting,   and  make  doubly  sure  that  it's  well-stocked  and
everything's in working order." The voice from the Earth  sounded
on  the edge of panic but,  though he couldn't see what could  be
done if the operating theatre on the Mayfly was not well-stocked,
Gerald nonetheless went through the checklist. He was grateful to
have something to do. Something to occupy his mind.
 The   operating   theatre  on  board  the  Mayfly   was   fairly
rudimentary.  It  wasn't really equipped for an accident of  this
magnitude, but was intended to allow an emergency appendectomy or
such  like  operations to be performed in orbit  if  that  proved
absolutely necessary. All instruments were waldoes, controlled by
links to surgeons operating back on the Earth's surface.
 As  Gerald contacted Ecuador Ground Base,  he heard the  airlock
cycling  again and again until everybody who could  be  recovered
had been returned to the confines of the Mayfly.  Once the system
checks on the operating theatre had been completed,  he turned to
see what he could do to assist his fellow astronauts.  The  scene
which confronted Gerald was reminiscent of an abattoir.
 The floor of the Mayfly was covered by men and women groaning in
pain, and - which was worse - many who made no sound at all. Each
of  the  wounded had been stripped of their  EVA  suit,  and  was
attended by at least one fellow astronaut,  trying desperately to
stem the flow of blood, restart a stopped heart, administer - via
airway tubes - artificial respiration, or simply to whisper words
of comfort and encouragement.
 In  the mess of blood which seemed to cover  everybody,  it  was
difficult  to  see at first glance who were the injured  and  who
were their rescuers.  To add to Gerald's disorientation,  several
of his wounded friends were lying on what - to him - appeared  to
be  the  ceiling.  There  was  no  respite  from  the  carnage  -
regardless  of the direction he cast his eyes,  the wounded  were
all around.
 Gerald  felt  a need to go into that mess of bleeding  bodies  -
all, hopefully, still living - and try to help out however he was
able.  He knew, though, that the video-link to Ground Base had to
be kept manned,  in waiting for the doctors to arrive down there.
He  spent  what little waiting time remained in  linking  up  the
portable camera to enable those on Earth to view the wounded, and
thus  form some opinion on which people were in most urgent  need
for treatment.
 By the time the camera was hooked up,  the doctors had  arrived.
Their faces betrayed their fears as they observed the injured men
and women on board the Mayfly, but their decisions were swift and
sure.  Two who,  to Gerald's untrained eye,  looked little  worse
than  their  fellows - one looked,  to Gerald,  to be  in  rather
better  shape than some others - were quickly transported to  the
pair of operating tables on the orbiting craft.
 Their companions followed,  two by two, until all were done. The
operations themselves,  which included three limb amputations and
one  piece of delicate eye-surgery performed using a  rapid-pulse
laser  originally  intended as a  surveying  tool,  were  tensely
watched  by  the men and women of the Mayfly.  Though  they  were
forced to stand by helplessly as instruments were directed  long-
distance by more expert hands, stand by they did.
 The  final count was five dead - the five who had  depressurised
in  the first moments after the cable snapped.  Thanks  to  quick
thinking, and rapid action, everybody who had made it back to the
Mayfly  had survived.  Not unharmed - everybody there  bore  some
scars, whether emotional or physical - but alive.


 By  the  time he had finished related the events  of  that  day,
Gerald was in tears - sobbing uncontrollably,  his face buried in
his  wife's  breast as she tried,  with some  small  success,  to
comfort him.
 Dot was shocked when she learned that - despite that  experience
-  her husband fully intended to return to space in a  few  short
months.  When asked "WHY?" he replied, deliberately and with some
 "For the sake of the human race - and particularly for the  five
who  died.  Deaths in space are terrible - death anywhere can  be
terrible.  But, if I had been one of those who had died that day,
I  wouldn't  want the dream to die with me.  I wouldn't  want  my
death to be for nothing.
 "And if we gave up now,  then those five friends would have died
for nothing. The Dream must go on.
 "They would have wanted it to."


 Two  days  later,  Dot and Gerald were walking in  to  the  main
assembly  hall  of  their  twin  sons's  school,  ready  for  the
presentation  ceremony,  when  they passed  the  headteacher  and
another pair of parents arguing in the corridor.
 "I  appreciate  your  point,  Mister  O'Brien..."  the  harassed
teacher began, not for the first time.
 As  on previous occasions,  the father merely continued on  with
his protestations:  "I refuse," he demanded,  stridently,  "As  a
good Christian,  I refuse to allow my daughter to participate  in
these kinds of unholy lessons!" His face was turning a bright red
in his righteous rage.
 "You have no choice in the matter,  I'm afraid,  Mister O'Brien.
Sex  education  lessons  are  mandatory  at  this  stage..."  the
headteacher tried to say, once again.
 "Nonsense!"  O'Brien  said loudly,  causing his wife -  who  was
standing,  quietly  and  uncomplaining,  by his side -  to  wince
slightly, "Mary is MY daughter and I won't allow it!"
 "Shut up!" shouted the headteacher,  causing a few heads to turn
in  interest.  Mr  O'Brien  was so infuriated  at  this  that  he
actually was silenced for a little while.  The teacher took every
advantage of this opportunity, as he continued:
 "Firstly,  Mister O'Brien,  Mary is not 'your daughter.' On  the
contrary,  you are Mary's father,  Mister O'Brien. You do not own
Mary,  and  you have no rights over her.  All that you  have  are
responsibilities towards Mary.  Do...You...Under...stand...This?"
he concluded, slowly, deliberately - and extremely loudly.
 More and more heads were turning by this time, and a small crowd
was beginning to gather around, both interested and amused by the
argument. The crowd was disappointed, as the forty-three year-old
father  of Mary was stunned entirely into speechlessness  by  the
sheer audacity of the headteacher's words.
 And  so,  O'Brien's response to the head ushering him  into  the
hall,  before striding confidently up to the podium on the stage,
was relatively meek and fairly mild. The following week, however,
was notable for two things:
 To  start with,  Mrs O'Brien took to slapping on thick  gobs  of
make-up  foundation,  and began to wear heavy scarves  and  long-
sleeved tops.  Secondly, Mary O'Brien was absent from from school
suspiciously often.
 Edna  O'Brien was long-used to her husband's violence,  and  was
unwilling to do anything about it.  Mary,  however, was coming to
realise - despite her enforced absences - that her experiences at
home did not seem to match up with her friends's reports of their
family life.  When one of the school's psychologists was sent out
to  have a word with Mr O'Brien,  he kept his eyes open  and  his
mouth shut until he could talk with the young girl herself.
 By the end of January, Mr O'Brien had been charged with breaking
the First Agreement (not to physically harm another person)  with
respect to his wife,  and breaking the Twelfth Agreement (not  to
unreasonably interfere with the education of another person) with
respect to his daughter.
 Shortly afterwards,  Mr O'Brien was sentenced to  rehabilitation
in the form of psychotherapy and retribution in the form of three
months loss of MoneyCard privileges.  The restitution portion  of
his  sentence took the form of the redirection of eighty  percent
of  his income into his wife's MoneyCard account,  the  remaining
fifth  going  into his young daughter's  account,  until  further
notice.  The income mentioned was his presumed income,  a loan to
be repaid once his sentence was completed.
 Less  than one week into his sentence,  Mr O'Brien attacked  his
wife again - the psychologists who were trying to assist her  via
trauma  therapy  had  been  unsuccessful  in  their  attempts  to
dissuade her from allowing her husband back into the family home.
 Following this latest unprovoked attack,  Mrs O'Brien's  husband
was  sentenced to one year in the Lochbroom prison exile  colony,
to be followed by further therapy. As it turned out, O'Brien died
six  months into his exile,  during a bare-knuckle fight  with  a
fellow inmate.
 Following his death,  the loan debt to that point was  cancelled
immediately.  Since  agreements were not in operation within  the
prison  exile  colonies,   no  actions  were  taken  against  his
 Despite  her continuing therapy,  Mrs O'Brien's  second  husband
proved as abusive as her first.
 Since that second marriage lay five years more into the  future,
and  Mary  had by that time attained full adult Card  status  and
chosen  to move out,  no legal action could be taken  unless  Mrs
Restgeld  - as she then was - filed a complaint  herself.  Mary's
mother refused, in the face of her daughter's pleas, to file such
a complaint.
 Mrs  Edna  Restgeld was murdered by her second  husband  in  the
spring of the year 2010.  Thus,  her second husband followed  her
first  into Lochbroom prison exile.  He,  too,  never served  his
entire sentence - this time, for ten years - but died, ironically
enough,  in  the  same manner and at the same hand as  her  first
 The  bare-knuckle  fighter  concerned  never  learned  of   this
connection between two of his,  now deceased, opponents. He also,
as  a  'lifer,' never left the Lochbroom area  -  continuing  his
fights until, eventually, he, too, was bested.
 All this lay in the future,  however - a future which included a
twenty-eight  year old Mary O'Brien's winning of the  Wye/Network
Prize in psychology for her work on what came to be known as 'the
victim complex.'
 At that moment, in January 2003, the headteacher was standing at
the podium on the school's stage, about to start his speech.
 "People,"  the  headteacher  began,  taking in  all  adults  and
children of both sexes, "People," he repeated, spreading his arms
wide as if to encompass everybody there, "Welcome.
 "Welcome on this day - Graduation Day for the thirty-seven young
people  who  today  pass  the first landmark  on  their  road  to
adulthood. Travelling this far is difficult - each of these," his
arm swept to indicate the thirty-seven seven and eight year  olds
sitting to the left of the stage, "Every one is here because they
have  demonstrated  some  measure  of  their  worth  -  of  their
readiness to progress to the next stage of their development into
fully-fledged adults."
 At  these  words,  there was strong applause from the  ranks  of
family  and friends of the children.  "Thus far,"  their  teacher
continued, once the applause had calmed down, "Their brains alone
have  been  trained.  As you are all aware,  this day  marks  the
beginning  of that more difficult educational process -  as  they
learn how to handle and guide their own emotional development.
 "Until today, these young people  have learned abstract concepts
in  rudimentary  classes on ethical  philosophy  and  comparative
 Until  today,  their emotional development has been  limited  to
learning to respect, empathise and feel compassion towards others
and  - just as importantly - to respect and like  themselves.  To
come to terms with their own limitations as their curiosity about
the world about them grew: as their reasoning powers grew.
 "After today,  however, their emotional development comes to the
fore.  Starting tomorrow,  SWORD education begins in earnest with
their first sex education classes..."
 The SWORD education system,  as the head teacher explained it in
his  speech,  stood for Sex,  self-Worth,  Others,  Religion  and
Death,  which were the five main pillars on which the system  was
based. The classes began after Graduation Day and continued until
Maturity Day, when the child received a full adult status Card of
their own, as a mark of their achievement.
 Maturity Day ordinarily arrived just before,  or on the cusp of,
puberty,  in  order  to allow the turmoils of adolescence  to  be
understood  before  they were encountered.  And  to  prepare  the
teenager  with  the  mental equipment  -  both  intellectual  and
emotional - to best deal with that period of his or her life.
 The  sex  segment  of  the  SWORD  system  involved  a   gradual
progression  of  sex education - from a study of the  changes  of
puberty,  and the reasons for them,  through to the mechanics  of
the various types and positions of intercourse.  No emphasis  was
placed on any particular sexual behaviour or orientation,  though
three points were strongly stressed.
 The first of these points had already been emphasised throughout
the  students's  education up to this  point:  That,  while  each
individual was free to behave in any manner he or she chose,  any
agreements   which  existed  between  two  individuals  must   be
respected. Particular emphasis was laid on the First, Seventh and
Twelfth  Agreements  - which prohibited  harming  another  person
physically,  emotionally or intellectually,  respectively, except
where  necessary  to protect yourself from such  harm  from  that
 The   second  point  stressed  related  to   contraception   and
prophylaxis.  Disease prevention was stressed often in all health
education lessons,  but extra emphasis was laid on this point  in
the sex education classes.
 The  other  point  which  was  stressed  on  frequent  occasions
consisted of two simple statements: "You only lose your virginity
once" and "Most people find that sex is better between two people
who  care for each other." The students were encouraged  to  hold
numerous  discussions  on the  implications,  if  any,  of  these
statements over the years until they reached their Maturity  Day.
The  ninety-odd  percent of students who  remained  in  full-time
education  until  the age of eighteen  generally  continued  such
 Considering  the  wide  availability of  both  male  and  female
prostitutes,   the  universality  of  sex  education,   the  free
provision   of   contraceptives,   the   relative-prevalence   of
pornographic material,  the 'age of consent' being set at anybody
with  full  adult Card status and the  growing  liberal  attitude
towards sex amongst the young,  it is perhaps surprising that the
rate of teenage pregnancy plummeted and the average age of  first
intercourse  rose  markedly.  But,  then,  perhaps  it's  not  so
 The fifth element of the SWORD system was Death - in  fact,  the
system  was  sometimes  erroneously called  the  'Sex  and  Death
classes.'  In addition to seminars concerning grief  counselling,
these classes included training to manufacture,  maintain and use
a  wide variety of weapons - progressing slowly  from  catapults,
slingshots and bows.  Then came firearms training,  ranging  from
air pistols and rifles,  through 9mm pistols, a variety of rifles
and  shotguns and culminating in the study of semi-automatic  and
automatic weapons.
 Each person was taught how to strip,  and reassemble,  each type
of weapon for inspection and cleaning as well as how to fire that
weapon.  A  particularly effective demonstration was the  'human'
dummies  used  for  the  first target  practice  session  with  a
 In  that  first session,  the target consisted of  a  realistic-
looking human dummy,  made up to look like the individual  firing
the  gun.  The  target,  which traced its ancestry  back  to  the
relatively-primitive  crash dummies developed by  the  automotive
industry,  behaved when hit as a human would. When the target was
hit,  it  reacted with profuse bleeding,  disgorging of  internal
organs and screaming.
 Though  the  opportunity  was always available  to  repeat  that
particular  demonstration,  few chose to do so - the point  (that
guns are fucking DANGEROUS things) was well made.
 As  well as long-range weapons,  the Death segment of the  SWORD
training  also  encompassed  such  diverse  subjects  as   sword-
fighting,  unarmed  combat  and manufacturing  bombs.  The  major
points of all of this training were twofold:  firstly,  to ensure
that each citizen was able to defend him/herself - and, secondly,
as   a   method   of  teaching  each  student   the   nature   of
 It has been said that an armed society is a polite society. Such
appeared to be the case in twentieth century  Switzerland,  where
students were allowed to take home a semi-automatic weapon during
the holidays.  And as time went by in Wye's Britain,  as more and
more  students  reached Maturity Day,  violent  crime  -  already
reduced as cannabis replaced alcohol as the usual drug of  choice
- diminished further and further.
 The second and third elements of SWORD - self-Worth and Others -
were  explored via courses in the various branches of  psychology
and  philosophy,  with emphasis placed on "Know Thyself!" in  the
former,  and  on  ethical philosophy in the  latter.  Classes  in
genetics also formed a part of the self-Worth segment, classes in
which  students  were encouraged to interpret their  own  genetic
chart,  and  in which the bogus and compassionless philosophy  of
eugenics was shown up for what it was,  and was discredited  once
and for all.
 It  was in the ethical philosophy classes that students  learned
about  their country's legal system,  and particularly about  the
Three-R sentencing system,  while history lessons - which  tended
to  study motivations and results of actions more than names  and
dates - were used to teach both general and more specific lessons
in politics, sociology and economics.
 Finally,  the  fourth  element  of SWORD was  reflected  in  the
comparative Religion lessons which began as soon as a child could
talk,  and merely intensified after Graduation Day.  One  popular
experiment,  post-Graduation Day, was to encourage a group to try
to  believe passionately in a different religion each week for  a
year, inventing their own if and when they ran out of religions.
 That is, those experiments were popular with the students - not,
usually, with the parents. Not until about twenty years later, in
fact,   did  parents  appreciate  their  children  playing   such
experimental mind games with religions - and,  then, only because
they  had  themselves  performed the same games  when  they  were
 The  headteacher spent half an hour explaining the SWORD  system
to his audience before calling the first child up to the stage.
 Solemnly,  the teacher received the offered gold MoneyCard  from
his  student,  though the children usually accepted  the  yellow-
striped black MoneyCard with rather less solemnity before  giving
their own acceptance performance.
 These performances varied from child to child, and from ceremony
to  ceremony.  A yellow Card was earned by learning to  read  and
write, the red Card replaced the yellow when the child gave their
first  public presentation - and was in turn replaced by  a  blue
Card four presentations later.  From that point on there were  no
rules  - and the only guideline (seldom rigidly enforced)  was  a
five minute time limit.
 Thus,  a four year old boy might perform a song on receiving his
bronze Card,  then - six months later - do some kind of  stand-up
comedy routine when the bronze was replaced by a silver Card. The
transition  from  silver Card to gold might then  result  in  the
reading of a poem.
 The major leap from the child's solid coloured Card to the first
black  MoneyCard,   even  though  striped  with  the  colours  of
childhood,  quickly became notorious,  however, as did the second
major  leap into adulthood at Maturity Day - when a  gold-striped
black Card was replaced by a full adult status matt-black Card.
 At  their Maturity Day ceremony,  the new  adult's  presentation
would  usually  be as childish and immature as possible  -  in  a
"last   fling"  of  childhood.   At  Graduation   Day,   however,
individuals often merely recited aloud a dry essay, the full show
coming  at  the end of the ceremony when everybody  had  received
their new Card.  At that point, the children would present a play
which they themselves had written.
 These  plays tended to be deliberately badly written  -  usually
because the seven and eight year-olds were already becoming aware
that  they lacked both experience and technique for  really  good
work,  and  so  parodied their worst efforts by  trying  -  often
desperately  - to out-do the previous group's Graduation Day  for
sheer tackiness. Naff costumes, tacky music, over-blown words and
over-the-top acting abounded.
 It  was  already generally accepted as being bad  form  for  the
audience  to show any sign of recognising  the  "unintentionally"
funny  moments  which were habitually deliberately  written  into
these  plays,  and so Mary O'Brien found  herself  excruciatingly
embarrassed by her father's loud, braying laughs.


 Once  Adam and Shaun's Graduation Day ceremony was over,  Wye  -
who, since a friend's children were graduating that day, had been
observing the event by video - turned to face Deborah and Graham.
 Deborah  had  observed the tensing of the  Dictator's  shoulders
when  the  SWORD system - especially the 'D' segment -  had  been
explained by the headteacher,  and so she was prepared to put off
answering Wye's questions.
 "All will be revealed,  in time,  Absolaam," she had  said,  her
husband  nodding  as  they each  smiled,  broadly,  in  a  manner
designed to irritate the Dictator as much as possible.
 "In  the meantime,  General,  try to work it out  for  yourself.
Consider Lord Vetinari," he added, cryptically.
 Wye, recognising the ploy he himself had used with regard to his
own plans for organised religion, merely grinned his acknowledged
defeat - but resolved to get to the bottom of Graham's  enigmatic
hint before the answer could be revealed to him.

Chapter Thirty Seven

           "The philosophers who dare to turn against the tide of
      accepted beliefs - men who dare to be alone - these are the
                                                    real heroes."
                                 --George Mikes,
 How To Be A Guru

 In  the  thirteenth  day of the month of February  in  the  year
twenty-oh-three  of the common era,  General Absolaam Wye's  Sang
  program  -  which had been initiated back  on  October  the
twelfth  of  the previous year - ground to  its  conclusion:  All
government financing of religious organisations was halted.
 The  possibility  of outcries from the people  were  reduced  by
three actions on the part of that computer program.  Firstly,  it
was made clear that the funding which had been provided had  come
from  the  Dictator's  private  Card  account,  rather  from  the
government's account - thus removing the need for a national vote
to be taken on whether that funding should be continued.
 Secondly,  to  take the self-righteous wind from some  religious
sails,  the funds were not simply 'clawed back' by Wye.  Instead,
the  money was pumped into the National Health Service.  The  NHS
had already benefitted massively,  both from Wye's chipping  away
at  government bureaucracy and from his programmes of  scientific
research.  Nonetheless, providing the NHS with still more money -
to the tune of an extra six billion pounds per year - was seen as
a further act of generosity by the Dictator.
 Finally, and the major cause of the four month delay between the
initiation  and  completion of Sang  Real,  a  subtle  propaganda
campaign had been used to manipulate public opinion in favour  of
just this move.  "Why," the campaign had asked, "Should organised
religion  -  increasingly a minority pursuit - be  provided  with
these generous funds? Particularly when the money could be better
used elsewhere?"
 One immediate effect of the cessation of this funding was as Lao
Tzi had foreseen three years earlier:  Organised religion in  the
British  Isles  collapsed  under its own  weight.  The  Tar  Baby
effect, as Wye liked to phrase it.
 By  this  time,  Lao  Tzi's Church of Wye was  the  only  quasi-
religious body able to muster its members's support to the degree
required  to  mount  a  trawling  operation.  The  operation  was
undertaken  even before the other religions collapsed  -  indeed,
may  well  have  contributed to that collapse - and  so  Lao  Tzi
gathered in the splintered remnants of the Christian churches.
 For  some reason,  probably related to their not being  involved
with the British Liberation Army,  islam and judaism's  collapses
were  on a far smaller scale to that of the  Christian  churches.
More minor religions and cults - Luciferans, the Church of Mummu,
and the like - had their collapse accelerated by their  inability
to accumulate sufficient funds from their members,  at such short
notice, to remain in existence.
 Two exceptions were to be found in the less authoritarian sects,
which  required  little money to remain  in  existence,  and  the
Church of Scientology.
 As  the Roman Catholic Church had done in the  months  following
the  Phaelon  incident,  the Church of Scientology  was  able  to
extract their stop-gap funding from overseas until their  British
members could be persuaded to pay their own way.  As had happened
with  the  RC  Church,   however,  those  members,  were  largely
unwilling  to  pay up in sufficient  numbers.  And  so  Dianetics
slowly died.
 By  the end of the year 2003 CE,  the Church of Wye claimed  its
membership   as  better  than  fifty  percent  of   the   British
population.  Of  those  remaining outside  the  CofW,  only  five
percent  subscribed  to any religion at all - and almost  all  of
those belonged to Jewish or Islamic organisations.
 To return to February of 2003:  On the day after the funding for
religious  organisations  was halted,  the Netherlands  vote  was
taken.  Ninety-three  percent  of the Dutch population  voted  to
extend  the  Network  to their country,  and work  began  on  the
expansion within hours of the vote's result being announced.
 Since the small village of Staphorst, in the Northern reaches of
the country, had voted unanimously against the Network extension,
it was decided that they could be excluded if they wished. When a
second vote was taken in that village,  however,  they decided to
follow the wishes of the majority.
 As   in   the  British  Isles,   the  educational   system   was
simultaneously modified to take account of the new  circumstances
provided by the Network, the financial system was centralised and
the  legal system was re-codified along the lines of the  British
model.  Netherlands's politicians were astounded by the number of
Netherlanders-specific   agreements  which  were   overwhelmingly
rejected by their public.
 By the time the Netherlands extension was completed, on November
the twenty-third of the following year, the literacy of the Dutch
people  - in both Dutch and English - had been brought up to  the
levels  in Wye's British Isles.  And the Dutch legal  system  had
become  practically identical to that which operated in the  rest
of the Network.
 As further years went by, the Netherlanders voted to repeal each
of  the Netherlands-specific agreements,  one by one,  until  the
Network  in  the  Netherlands used the same  system  as  that  in
Britain.  By that time, however, the Network had expanded further
- and it was five years more before the system of agreements  was
identical in all its parts.


 May  8,  2003,  was  the fifteenth anniversary of the  death  of
Robert Anson Heinlein.
 On the recommendation of Gerald,  a great admirer of  Heinlein's
writings,  Wye  had organised the building of a monument to  that
great American science fiction writer. In tribute to his tireless
advocacy  of space exploration,  a monument was to be erected  on
the moon.
 Originally carved on Earth,  the statue was shipped to orbit  to
be  re-cast from molten moonrock before being transported to  the
surface  of  the moon - along with one or two other items  -  and
erected on a simply-carved plinth of native moon rock,  ready  to
be unveiled on a live broadcast,  directed at the whole globe, on
May the eighth.
 The  moment came,  and Gerald was the person selected to  unveil
the  monument.  For an instant,  Gerald was outlined against  the
sharp,  jagged  horizon  of the moon's surface,  dwarved  by  the
cloth-shrouded monument. In the sky behind him, spinning rapidly,
the  slender tube which was the orbiting smelting plant could  be
 That  plant's main purpose was to refine ore mined on the  lunar
surface into metals usable in the construction of the Phoenix and
her fleet of spacecraft.  Since the smelting plant was in  orbit,
gravity  could not be used to separate the constituent  parts  of
the  ore - as happened in similar Earth-based processes.  It  was
for this reason that the entire plant tumbled,  end over end,  to
act as a centrifuge in order to perform the same task. The molten
moonrock,  from  which the Heinlein Memorial had been  cast,  was
produced as a mere by-product of this process.
 As  Gerald reached upwards to grasp a corner of the  cloth,  the
sun  could be seen reflected in the opaque visor of his  suit.  A
grasp  and a tug and the Heinlein memorial was  revealed.  Gerald
had  tugged  a  little  too  hard,  and  found  himself  spinning
backwards for a minute or two - but that didn't  matter,  because
nobody was looking at him anymore.
 The monument was huge.  Though twenty feet tall, it looked still
taller  due to the relative-nearness of the moon's horizon -  and
with no humans close by to provide a sense of scale,  it appeared
as a second colossus.  Exactly,  in short,  the effect which  the
artist had been aiming for.
 The statue showed Robert A. Heinlein, as he looked at the age of
thirty-three,  with  every line of his pencil-thin moustache  and
receding hairline lovingly etched in clay and carefully cast from
the molten moonrock. His expression was one of wise benevolence -
though,  and  arguments  persisted  as to how  the  sculptor  had
managed  this feat,  his eyes seemed to burn with enthusiasm  and
hope as they gazed on the lunar landscape.
 Heinlein's  left hand was clutching a sealed,  perspex  cylinder
which  contained sea water - since he had been cremated  and  his
ashes scattered at sea,  the sea water was intended to  symbolise
his body.
 The statue's right arm was outstretched,  its palm held flat  to
support  five scale models of spacecraft.  Nearest to  Heinlein's
wrist  was  a model of the Russia  Sputnik,  the  first  man-made
object  to  reach orbit.  Beside the Sputnik was a model  of  the
Vostok, which had carried Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space.
 On the other side of the Vostok was a model of the Eagle landing
module  of NASA's Apollo 11,  which had carried the first men  to
the surface of the moon, and beyond that model were the Phaelon -
the first British craft.  And the Phoenix, as she would look when
she was finished, completed the quintet.
 At  the  feet  of the statue was  a  bronze-cast  shipping  tag,
inscribed with Robert Louis Stevenson's poem, Requiem. The plinth
itself  had - carved into the moon rock in inch-deep letters -  a
list of names, commemorating the memory of those who have died on
the Final Frontier:

                 27/1/67   Virgil "Gus" Grissom
                           Roger Chaffee
                           Edward White
                 24/4/67   Vladimir Komarov
                           Vladislav Volkov
                           Georgi Debrovolsky
                           Viktor Patsayev
                28/1/86    Francis Scobee
                           Michael Smith
                           Judith Resnik
                           Ronald McNair
                           Ellison Onizuka
                           Gregory Jarvis
                           Christa McAuliffe

 After these names, came a record of the deaths of Eunice Johnson
and Dave Bowman on the Phaelon on the 22/7/2001.  Then was a list
of  the  names of the five men and women who were killed  in  the
Phoenix accident on the 12/1/2003.
 Below this roster of the dead was a short, simple pledge. In the
live  broadcast,  the  names  scanned  past  slowly  against  the
background  of Also Sprach Zarathrustra,  the music reaching  its
climax with the sustained shot of the pledge, which read:

    They did not die in vain - Humanity shall have the stars

 The broadcast finished on a close shot of this  pledge,  blended
with an image of the statue as a whole with the British,  USA and
USSR flags also digitally blended, barely-visibly, into the solid
blackness of the night sky.
 Heinlein's shadow,  crisp and sharp on the airless moon, pointed
away   from  the   full-Earth,   hanging   overhead.   Heinlein's
outstretched  right arm seemed to be pointing outward.
 To the stars. 

The text of the articles is identical to the originals like they appeared in old ST NEWS issues. Please take into consideration that the author(s) was (were) a lot younger and less responsible back then. So bad jokes, bad English, youthful arrogance, insults, bravura, over-crediting and tastelessness should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Any contact and/or payment information, as well as deadlines/release dates of any kind should be regarded as outdated. Due to the fact that these pages are not actually contained in an Atari executable here, references to scroll texts, featured demo screens and hidden articles may also be irrelevant.